$30.00
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this game and others of its ilk are out there, but for the life of me I can't ferret it out.

My 12-year-old has requested a card-driven game (draw from a personal deck, small 4- or 5-card hand) where you explore a map board (discovering new terrain, maybe? he didn't say). The cards give you powers or special abilities, or dictate what features appear on the map. Non-historical theme, so I guess wargames are out, but he's leaning toward something with direct conflict; a fantasy or sci-fi theme is okay/preferable. He also expressed a preference for miniatures, so something Ameritrashy seems reasonable.

The best I could get out of him when asking for examples was this scene from Adventure Time, where they're playing Card Wars:

(Despite that clip, I don't think that Adventure Time Card Wars is what he's looking for, since it's missing the board and minis -- he seemed pretty adamant about the board and minis -- although I may be wrong.)

So, to recap:

* Hand management
* Board/map w/ exploration
* Direct conflict/combat
* Sci-fi/fantasy theme
* Minis

Any help? I throw myself at the mercy and the collective knowledge of the Hive Mind! Many thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dungeoneer series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelina Lechwar
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Decent: Second Edition or Mansions of Madness: 2nd edition or Mechs vs Minions (but you need to wait till mid December for it to be delivered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could take a look at ...

Mage Knight Board Game
- hand management - cards (deckbuilding) are the main mechanic, you perform all your actions with the cards you have each turn, you move with them, you fight with them, you heal, recruit, etc.
- board exploration - very much so, you start out with only a small area and have to explore the rest of the map
- combat - it is fully deterministic, however, might not be as exciting for him
- fantasy - check
- minis - only one per hero and one per city (main goal is to defeat those), all the monsters you are fighting are cardboard chips

... or maybe ...

Runewars
- hand management - to a degree, you have a number of strategy cards and pick an order in which you use them, but not nearly as much as Mage Knight, where the cards are the driving force behind the whole game
- board exploration - there isn't a whole lot of that, the map is fully visible from the start; it is more expanding than exploring; it does offer a little of that with the heroes
- combat - it does have very direct conflict and interesting combat
- fantasy - check
- minis - definitely

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You made it sound like expanding into previously unknown areas of the board isn't necessarily required. With that in mind, three games that fit the rest of your criteria are:

BattleLore
Abaddon (Can be purchased for ~$30 on Amazon)
Magic: The Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers (Can be purchased for ~$20 on Amazon, sometimes getting as low as $13.)

The first two are tactical warfare games that use the Commands and Colors system. One has a fantasy setting and the other has a sci-fi setting with mechs. Here's some information from the BGG page about the system, in case you're not already familiar with it:

Quote:
Common elements of all Command and Colors games are a deck of Command Cards, which can be classified as Section cards and Tactics cards, and Battle Dice. In the Command and Colors System the playing field is divided into a center section and a right and left flank. Section cards are used to allow the ordering of unit(s) occupying one or more sections. Tactics cards are also available to allow special attacks. Another identifying feature of the system is the use of battle dice to resolve individual battles.

The last one is based on an earlier game called HeroScape (which you may already be familiar with), where a player controls one main hero, called a planeswalker (basically a mage), who can summon various creatures and use them to attack his opponents planeswalker and creatures. Each player gets a deck of cards that represent various spells and abilities that they can use in their efforts to defeat their opponent.

One more that popped into my mind as I was writing this is Clash of Cultures. But I honestly don't think I would recommend as something that fits your criteria. It's a pretty heavy game for a 12 year old, and I don't think the way the cards are used in that game is what he's looking for. It does however offer exploration of terra incognita and lots of miniatures. It's a civ-building game where each player builds up their own civilization (bronze-age) and gets to expand their territory into previously unexplored parts of the map, while building a tech-tree and managing conflict with the other players. Cool game, but probably not what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Runebound (Second Edition) or the current Runebound (Third Edition).
I only have the 2nd edition and my boy will jump into my solo games sometimes.

EDIT the above mentioned Mage knight is perfect but may be too meaty a game for his age range. But do not let that put him off as enthusiastic kids will persevere to learn a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could add Talisman. Really enjoyed it when I was a kid, and it plays solo (one player plays multiple characters). Otherwise, Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
GitFeatures wrote:

EDIT the above mentioned Mage knight is perfect but may be too meaty a game for his age range. But do not let that put him off as enthusiastic kids will persevere to learn a good game.

FWIW, my kids (boys 10-12 yrs old) really like Mage Knight. We always play it co-op. The They love the levelling-up aspect and fighting monsters. With no player-v-player combat, the game doesn't end in tears from someone or other. It is a very long game though. Best to have somewhere you can leave it set up while playing over a weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Cyclades plenty of mythological creatures and everyone's armies are all different minis.

review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Resist the Kakistocracy
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. It's looking like Runebound's the one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No exploration, but Summoner Wars has that card-driven combat, if you can accept cards in the place of minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.