tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mb
The Old Man wrote:
at Cool Stuff and Miniature Market.

Glad I pre-ordered! I usually don't do that but I wanted the satisfaction of seeing it on the screen as purchased.

I am sure they will get more copies, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still on sale, for list (?) at Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game dead? I only ordered one core...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Old Man wrote:

Well Asmodee likes to "underprint"- printing less than initial sale channels predict and thus creating demand for the next print. Asmodee thinks it is a working strategy... so not surprising that AHLCG is out of stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold out at boardgamebliss.com and 401games.ca but still available for pre-order at greatboardgames.ca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gone at Card Haus.

Your best bet is to reserve as many as you can afford from your FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:
The Old Man wrote:

Well Asmodee likes to "underprint"- printing less than initial sale channels predict and thus creating demand for the next print. Asmodee thinks it is a working strategy... so not surprising that AHLCG is out of stock.

I'm not sure that is what is happening here. I think this has more to do with the fact that there is a high demand for owning between 2 and 4 copies of the core set.

Further, I'm not sure that Asmodee would have done such a thing for an LCG style game. They aren't stupid, and they saw the harm done to the Dice Masters brand by having insufficient supply to meet the initial demand. What you describe MAY work for some game types, but that sort of tactic wouldn't work for a lifestyle type game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that you need to own at minimum six core sets for this game to work.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
ShaneXtopher wrote:
It's my understanding that you need to own at minimum six core sets for this game to work.

:whistle:

Six? You big liar. I have it on good authority it requires 9 and 3/4 sets per player at the very least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
scottatlaw wrote:

I'm not sure that is what is happening here. I think this has more to do with the fact that there is a high demand for owning between 2 and 4 copies of the core set.

Further, I'm not sure that Asmodee would have done such a thing for an LCG style game. They aren't stupid, and they saw the harm done to the Dice Masters brand by having insufficient supply to meet the initial demand. What you describe MAY work for some game types, but that sort of tactic wouldn't work for a lifestyle type game.

Asmodee get a sales prediction for each of its product, as well as initial orders.
Asmodee, as well as all big distributors / retailers (CSI and such) know that some people will get multiple core sets - I don't think you are suggesting that FFG/Asmodee are not aware that some fans will get multiple sets.
So if they get initial orders for 10,000 copies, what they do (according to a distributor I met at gencon and know asmodee reps. very well) is print 9,000 copies. Numbers are of course ficitional, and you can take this as hearsay, but this is from Asmodee reps. mouth (Via 3rd party).

I don't understand why they shouldn't do it for LCG games?
Yes, dice masters was a fiasco, not because of the initial lack of product - that just increased the demand, but the fact it took a long time for Wizkids to get the reprint out.
Actually, since dice masters is very successful, it cannot be taken as an example of game that had product lack and failed, but on the opposite.

What this "underprint" strategy is about, is getting a reprint fast (2-3 months) to sate the demand while stoking it for those 2-3 months. Cash flow and timing of reprint is always tricky - this is why some expansions are a long time out of stock, since they are waiting for demand. Using underprint they create the demand for the next reprint.

If it is out of stock, I expect the boards here to go ape-crazy in a couple of weeks after a lot of people get copies in hand and rave about it, while a whole lot of other people are stuck while waiting for reprint.

p.s. I'm in Israel so I guess no copies will get here for a long while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunAgain is still taking pre-orders

https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=036586
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Just because someone is taking pre Orders doesn't mean they'll actually get enough orders to ship it to you. Reason some places are sold out is because their original order got sold through.
Basically. Temper your expectations and know you may need to wait a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfpackee wrote:

I see what you did there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunter Hawk wrote:
ShaneXtopher wrote:

whistle

Six? You big liar. I have it on good authority it requires 9 and 3/4 sets per player at the very least.

You're confusing this with the Harry Potter deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

Asmodee get a sales prediction for each of its product, as well as initial orders.
Asmodee, as well as all big distributors / retailers (CSI and such) know that some people will get multiple core sets - I don't think you are suggesting that FFG/Asmodee are not aware that some fans will get multiple sets.
So if they get initial orders for 10,000 copies, what they do (according to a distributor I met at gencon and know asmodee reps. very well) is print 9,000 copies. Numbers are of course ficitional, and you can take this as hearsay, but this is from Asmodee reps. mouth (Via 3rd party).

I don't understand why they shouldn't do it for LCG games?
Yes, dice masters was a fiasco, not because of the initial lack of product - that just increased the demand, but the fact it took a long time for Wizkids to get the reprint out.
Actually, since dice masters is very successful, it cannot be taken as an example of game that had product lack and failed, but on the opposite.

What this "underprint" strategy is about, is getting a reprint fast (2-3 months) to sate the demand while stoking it for those 2-3 months. Cash flow and timing of reprint is always tricky - this is why some expansions are a long time out of stock, since they are waiting for demand. Using underprint they create the demand for the next reprint.

If it is out of stock, I expect the boards here to go ape-crazy in a couple of weeks after a lot of people get copies in hand and rave about it, while a whole lot of other people are stuck while waiting for reprint.

p.s. I'm in Israel so I guess no copies will get here for a long while

I'm not saying what you are proposing is untrue, but it fails Ockham's Razor. IF they actually believed that something like this worked (especially at this time of year, and especially in hobby driven by the cult of the new) wouldn't it make more sense to simply print a ton of product and slowly control its release rather than printing less product and hoping you get a resupply from China on time?

The most likely factor determining the size of a print run are FFG's cash flow requirements and their available funds. Just because they are owned by Asmodee doesn't mean that they are able to access any of its money. There is a reason Riot Games was able to print 30k copies of Mechs vs. Minions (large cash reserves and they don't need the flow of cash from the game to keep their doors open).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:

I'm not saying what you are proposing is untrue, but it fails Ockham's Razor.

"Ockham's razor"? shake

Perhaps it's Acccam Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
scottatlaw wrote:

I'm not saying what you are proposing is untrue, but it fails Ockham's Razor.

"Ockham's razor"? shake

Perhaps it's Acccam Horror.

Arkham's Razor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
scottatlaw wrote:

I'm not saying what you are proposing is untrue, but it fails Ockham's Razor. IF they actually believed that something like this worked (especially at this time of year, and especially in hobby driven by the cult of the new) wouldn't it make more sense to simply print a ton of product and slowly control its release rather than printing less product and hoping you get a resupply from China on time?

The most likely factor determining the size of a print run are FFG's cash flow requirements and their available funds. Just because they are owned by Asmodee doesn't mean that they are able to access any of its money. There is a reason Riot Games was able to print 30k copies of Mechs vs. Minions (large cash reserves and they don't need the flow of cash from the game to keep their doors open).

If they print a lot of copies in advance they still have to pay for it and store it. The cost per unit is reduced very fast when you go from 1,000 to 2,000 and to 5,000 units. But for the numbers of a new LCG core set, I doubt there is a difference in unit cost between 18,000 units to 20,000 units.
So printing a lot of products in advance and controlling release doesn't improve cash flows, incurs storage and well - consists of lying to customers that they are out of stock while sitting on copies.

As you yourself say cashflow is king and this "underprint" improves cash flow while creating more demand.

p.s. since the "sold out" is just based on a couple of website, this is all theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Digman
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Testing...1 2 3
mbmbmbmbmb
And maybe they really did underestimate. Arkham Nights (pre-release) was sold out for the first time ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:

Arkham's Razor.

That is how I will describe the Grim Rule from now on - the most horrifying explanation is always to be preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunter Hawk wrote:
ShaneXtopher wrote:

whistle

The rules clearly state that you must destroy the cards at the end of every scenario, so really you need endless core sets. Well, double endless core sets if you want full play sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Debar
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense to me. The pre-order is out of stock. I suppose those sellers know how many copies they will get and of course how many pre-order have been ordered. They have to manage that.

Then the pre-order option will be replaced by the standard order option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Price drop on Amazon: $29.98 with free US shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 copies gone from Amazon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.