United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 377th TGIF Poll
1. What do you rate Monopoly? (If you do decimals in your ratings round to the nearest whole number.)
I haven't rated it
2. Which common Monopoly house rules have you played?

[Choose all that apply]
Money on Free Parking
Double payday for landing directly on Go
No auctions
Uneven building of houses
Building houses without having a monopoly
No collecting rent while in jail
One trip around the board before you can start buying
Unlimited houses available from the bank
You don't have to pay rent unless the owner of the property you land on says something before the next player rolls the dice for their turn
No interest when paying back mortgages
You can take loans from other players (or the bank)
You can trade future promises, like free landing on spaces, a portion of rent received, etc.
Others you will mention in the comments
3. How do you think you would feel if a game you LOVED started to come out with tons of re-themed editions like Monopoly? (Note: We're talking merely pasted on new themes, with no significant mechanical changes)

[Choose the answer that best fits how you might feel]
I would love it and be tempted to buy some of the themed editions as well.
I would like it because it would spread the word about my beloved game to more audiences but I probably wouldn't feel the need to buy any more of them.
I wouldn't care because I still have the version I love, so they can do whatever they want, I'm not paying attention
I wouldn't like it, why can't they stick to the theme that worked? They're just making it seem like the theme is irrelevant to the game play.
I would hate it, what a bunch of sell-outs! My rating for the original game might even go down!
      352 answers
Poll created by Blott

4. What's your reaction when you're teaching a game to a non-gamer and they say "So it's like Monopoly?"

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they've come up with the comparison ("It's like Monopoly?"), I just take that as an indication of what they are familiar with, so the answer is always, "Yes, but...," with two or three of the things that make it very different from Monopoly. Like:

"Yes, like Monopoly, but with fantasy creatures clobbering each other based on a deck of cards that you can customize."

"Yes, like Monopoly, but set in ancient Egypt, and with just 20 turns and somebody wins on points."

"Yes, like Monopoly, but it's cooperative, so you're working together to beat the game before it kills you."

Even though games I play are more likely to resemble chess than Monopoly, and even though everyone has some idea about chess, I would never say, "It's more like chess, actually." Someone who introduces a Monopoly comparison because they think they're starting to "get it" is probably someone to whom a chess comparison would be intimidating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I really don't get the hate against Monopoly. Is it a good game? No. Are there a lot of games I like even less out there? Totally. Including a lot of modern games.

2 - Yeah, if you haven't played it RAW (especially house rules that extend the length of the game) then you're doing it wrong.

3 - Eh, unless my copy came with a self-destruct command, they can do whatever they want with the property. Although it does fit into a particular geeky social concept. The idea that sequels or remakes can ruin the original (for films or books). The Matrix sequels were abomination. This doesn't change that the first one was awesome.

4 - I would be surprised as I don't really own anything that I would compare to Monopoly, but I can see how someone would compare a game with dice or a game with money or a game with auctions or blahblahblah to Monopoly. Monopoly has a lot of mechanisms in it, many of those can also be found in more modern games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be interesting to have a second question. Which house rules do you now play with, now that you know how it should be played and how to play games.

I answered a lot to house rules you 'have' played. But, that's because when I was 10 I didn't know they were house rules.

Now that I've revisited it, I realize how wrong I was taught and wouldn't use ANY of the house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
'Yeah, you could say that' is my reaction if it's an auction or economic game. If it's an area majority/control game or lots of dice, then I say ;no, it's more like Risk'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

For question #4 -- metaphors and similes can be a remarkably effective ways to communicate. So I set the attitude aside and assess if the connection works. I was once asked about Power Grid, "is it like Risk?" The answer was no, more like Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmb
I have it rated a 6. In the last 3 years, I have played it twice, with no house rules. I would enjoy the game once or twice a year with people who are into it. Give me the clasic instead of a re-theme (I did play the WoW themed one...it's still Monopoly).

When I was a kid we played a ton of the house rules but now I wouldn't play with any.

I don't care of the game I love comes out with re-themes. Probably wouldn't buy it unless the re-theme is artistically more appealing.

For question 4, I don't hear a lot of "is it like Monopoly" unless I'm teaching them Fast Food Franchise. This is the game I like to go to if I'm getting new people into games because it IS like Monopoly with twists, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
Fast Food Franchise. This is the game I like to go to if I'm getting new people into games because it IS like Monopoly with twists, of course.

. . . and a side of fries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

4. What's your reaction when you're teaching a game to a non-gamer and they say "So it's like Monopoly?"

"Not Quite...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I have it at a 6 now, I'll play it occasionally but it's not a favorite.

2 - I've played most of them, and I hate them all.

3 - Make more of my favorite game! I love it and I'm tempted to buy more.

4 - Depends on the tone. If they say it with a negative tone that sounds like "This isn't like Monopoly is it" then I'm going to make a point of highlighting how it is better and steer clear of any similarities. If they say it with a positive tone and sound like they might like Monopoly, then I'm going to focus on the areas where it might be similar to Monopoly to reel them in. It's all about knowing your audience and selling the game experience to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
2 - I've played most of them, and I hate them all.

Amen to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer Monopoly city (which I would rate as high as a 5).

But I think the hate comes from the fact it's a game we all played and loathed as kids (family arguments, someone storming off and holding a grudge for a day or so, everyone saying never again until next Christmas when we all forget last years debacle). It's a kind of inverse nostalgia thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
. . . someone storming off and holding a grudge for a day or so, everyone saying never again until next Christmas when we all forget last years debacle).

No, that's the old The Game of Life you're thinking of. The original version could be brutal as hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

I have never had this come up. I've only had 1 child ask to play it but that was probably because they owned it and it was the only game they knew well enough to beat everyone. Other than that, the only old games (other than basic card games) I've had people ask to play have been Life, Clue, and Jenga and those all seemed to be for nostalgia reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought Monopoly was a pretty fun game when played by the rules as written, and don't really understand the hate toward it.

As for the "is this like Monopoly?" comment, people can only compare a game to what they know, and Monopoly is what most people know. I've noticed the frequency of this comment go way down in recent years though, as our hobby has now gone much more mainstream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with "No Auctions" and "Money under Free Parking" because I was a kid who grew up in America and that was the way everyone played.
If I were to play now, I would definitely play with auctions and no money under free parking.
If someone were to really want to play it, I'd probably play it.

Themes - I'd be fine with this (as long as it didn't make my game obsolete, like preventing expansions from coming out, etc.) If someone picks up Defenders of the Gridiron and loves it, cool. It's the same game, just different trappings. Wasn't there a Hunting Dice version of Zombie Dice to sell in WalMart? And that can open that person's gaming horizons. Now, if all they buy is Gridiron games, that's a little limited; like people who consider themselves video games but all they play is the annual Madden releases.

When talking to non-gamers and describing games, I often start with "You know Monopoly/Risk/Clue (some other "mainstream" game)?", or response to their "Is it like Monopoly?" and build off that, briefly delineating some similarities and some differences. Like someone else said, I'll tailor to their apparent perception, if they like or don't like the "is it like" game, so I build up differences or similarities - like Small World to Risk - "it's like Risk, only with unique armies, a turn-limited game, and without someone building up 125 armies or hiding in Australia."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True fact: As soon as I went to this thread, BGG logged me out. Somebody in BGG management really doesn't like the game! (I don't hate it or love it; I rate it a '5'.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

My hand starts shaking a bit. If they say it again my pulse will go up. Then the vein in my neck will start bulging. Then my eye will start twitching. Then "we" will decide to play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played correctly with compulsory auctions and no money on free parking and you have yourself a reasonable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Yes, it has a board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

I don't mind Monopoly - it has a number of positive qualities, and I've certainly enjoyed my plays of the game (including the recent ones). And it's not nearly as long a game, played by the rules, as it's made out to be; 45-60 minutes for four players.

Comparing a game to Monopoly makes perfect sense. (Well, for most games; some should be compared to Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit or Pictionary...) The theme and mechanisms of Monopoly (trading, for instance) continue to be used today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. I give it a 4 because I feel generous.

2.Where I live people play only with FP money and no auctions. Grateful Dead-opoly would sell for a lot because of those two reasons.

3.I really hate that there are many versions of it now. Risk, Jenga and even Yahtzee had new rules on some of their themes. Monopoly, on the other hand, has way too many skins with very little variation in the rules.

4.I'd walk away before I could give them a slug. A hard one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Everyone views the world through a unique lens. If Monopoly is the lens through which a person views new games, I'm okay with it. It could be worse; e.g. "Aren't you a little old to be playing board games?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

My reaction is to just assume that they haven't played many games and adjust my teaching style (or even switch out to a simpler game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
Blott wrote:

I don't mind Monopoly - it has a number of positive qualities, and I've certainly enjoyed my plays of the game (including the recent ones). And it's not nearly as long a game, played by the rules, as it's made out to be; 45-60 minutes for four players.

Comparing a game to Monopoly makes perfect sense. (Well, for most games; some should be compared to Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit or Pictionary...) The theme and mechanisms of Monopoly (trading, for instance) continue to be used today.

I agree. Played as per the rules the compulsory auctions mean most of the properties are gone within 20 minutes. No Stupid free parking rule (i.e. Play as per the rules) means money leaks out of the game, and you're left with a negotiation game where the above average skills of a player are sometimes mitigated by bad dice meaning everyone has a chance of winning. Game over in an hour. It really is not a bad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.