Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this won't wreck the current PBFs too much, but here is the final text of the Tcho-Tchos for y'all to play with

SET-UP After all other players have set up except Opener and Windwalker: 6 acolytes & a controlled Gate in an empty Area containing a faction Glyph. Set Ubbo-Sathla's Growth counter to 0 on the Doom track. If the High Priest expansion is in use, replace 1 Acolyte with a High Priest.

UNIQUE ABILITY Hell's Banquet (Doom phase) when an enemy player does a Ritual of Annihilation, either you gain 1 Doom, or he gains 1 fewer Doom, his choice.

UNITS
6 acolytes (cultists)
3 high priests (cultists)
6 proto-shoggoths (monsters)
1 Ubbo-Sathla (GOO)

HOW TO AWAKEN UBBO-SATHLA
1) you have a controlled Gate and a High Priest in play (he need not be with the Gate) during the Doom phase or the Action phase.

2) if it is the Doom phase, pay 0 Power; if it is the Action phase, pay 6 Power.

3) Eliminate the High Priest, then place Ubbo-Sathla at your controlled Gate.

UBBO-SATHLA'S COMBAT - equal to Growth counter on the Doom Track

UBBO-SATHLA'S ABILITY - Sycophancy (Doom phase) Once Ubbo-Sathla has been Awakened, starting with the following Doom phase, and whether or not Ubbo-Sathla is still in play, roll 1d6 and increase its Growth counter by the die roll.

SPELLBOOK REQUIREMENTS
Another player performs a Ritual of Annihilation OR another player has 15 Doom

Earn an Elder Sign

Own 3 or more Elder Signs

As an Action, remove your controlled Gate in your Start Area

Any Great Old One is Killed in Battle

Awaken Ubbo-Sathla

SPELLBOOKS

Soulless (ongoing) When Captured and Sacrificed, your Cultists provide 0 Power (instead of the normal 1 Power).

Terror (pre-Battle) Choose one:
1) Your enemy’s Combat total is reduced by 1 per Proto-Shoggoth in the Battle.
2) Your Combat total is increased by 1 per Proto-Shoggoth in the Battle.

Martyrdom (post-Battle) If your High Priest is Killed, all other Kills inflicted on you in the Battle become Pains instead.

Idolatry (Action: Cost 1) Select an Area containing another Faction’s starting Glyph (even if that Faction is not in play). Move any
or all of your Units in adjacent Areas into the selected Area.

Hierophants (ongoing) When you earn any Spellbook (including this one), immediately place a free High Priest at one of your Gates. If you have no High Priests in your Pool, instead advance Ubbo-Sathla’s Growth counter by 1.

Tablets of the Gods (Doom phase) When you perform a Ritual of
Annihilation, you also receive 1 additional Elder Sign for each of your
High Priests in play. Then, Eliminate those High Priests. This is not optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Tcho-Tcho high priests behave like "normal" ones (cost 3, worth 2 power when sacrificed) even if the High Priest expansion is not otherwise in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, Sandy. We usually play with the rules as they were at the beginning of the pbf. Then, any new pbfs after the change will incorporate those changes. And there was only 1 pbf playing with the old Tcho Tcho rules and it's nearly over now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I can't wait to get them to the table! I'm glad to see my one concern about the Tcho-Tchos (what if the other players just don't perform Rituals?) has been addressed with an alternate requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
Nice, I can't wait to get them to the table! I'm glad to see my one concern about the Tcho-Tchos (what if the other players just don't perform Rituals?) has been addressed with an alternate requirement.

I was wondering if one of the WW spellbook requirements does need a similar condition, I alredy seen 2 games where WW could not win cause he dont have all 6 sb, cause no other faction get her 6th sb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sandy, have the terms been switched since Kickstarter update #83, or did you accidentally call the unique ability "Hell's Banquet" and Ubbo-Sathlah's ability "Sycophancy" in your post here? It was the other way round in the KS update ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
tiagomo wrote:
I was wondering if one of the WW spellbook requirements does need a similar condition, I alredy seen 2 games where WW could not win cause he dont have all 6 sb, cause no other faction get her 6th sb.

The game ends and nobody has 6?? Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hayden
United States
Temple Hills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the switch in terms here make more sense than the Kickstarter. Gain a doom for each Ritual or they loose one, sounds more like a banquet.

Windwalker not getting a spell book because no one else has one, doesn't worry me because everyone loses. Seems fair. I've played in games where we ritualed so often that a losing player did a ritual to Instant Death because 1 or more players would get their 6th spellbook next round, and they had only 2 or 3 so everyone lost.

But Tcho-Tcho on the primeval map seems to be the only faction that could be locked out of getting his 6th spellbook while others still can win. Unless the requirement is altered to 'As your action remove your Controlled (or Uncontrolled if you have a cultist in the same area) Gate from your start area'

You could be planning to remove it next to last, have 1 power left, and Sleeper drains everyone 1 power, so you no longer get a turn, or opportunity to sacrifice the gate. And then it becomes uncontrolled for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dinubabear wrote:
Actually the switch in terms here make more sense than the Kickstarter. Gain a doom for each Ritual or they loose one, sounds more like a banquet.

Hmm, I'm not quite convinced ... Why should others lose doom when you're having a banquet? I'd say that 'getting fatter' (increasing the Growth counter) would be a rather suitable effect for a banquet, though.

And in my opinion, Sycophancy leading either to an increase of the sycophant's glory (because some of the glory of his object of admiration also falls onto him) or to a decrease of the glory of the other party (because they have to make an effort to keep the sycophant from gaining undeserved glory) sounds about right to me ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
I assume Tcho-Tcho high priests behave like "normal" ones (cost 3, worth 2 power when sacrificed) even if the High Priest expansion is not otherwise in play?

Correct. They have "The Unspeakable Oath" as a standard power.

Also if you are using the Unique High Priests which we released during Onslaught Two, the Tcho-Tchos can only exchange ONE of their High Priests for a Unique one. (We recommend using a High Priest from another, unused, faction to show which one is the "special" one.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Sandy, have the terms been switched since Kickstarter update #83, or did you accidentally call the unique ability "Hell's Banquet" and Ubbo-Sathlah's ability "Sycophancy" in your post here? It was the other way round in the KS update ...

mmmmmaybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagomo wrote:
Sassycat wrote:

it's not a problem because if the game ends and no one has 6, then EVERYONE loses. But, in theory, humanity wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinubabear wrote:
But Tcho-Tcho on the primeval map seems to be the only faction that could be locked out of getting his 6th spellbook while others still can win. Unless the requirement is altered to 'As your action remove your Controlled (or Uncontrolled if you have a cultist in the same area) Gate from your start area'

You could be planning to remove it next to last, have 1 power left, and Sleeper drains everyone 1 power, so you no longer get a turn, or opportunity to sacrifice the gate. And then it becomes uncontrolled for the rest of the game.

On the Primeval & Shaggai maps, the Tcho-Tchos can satisfy this requirement by sacrificing any of their controlled gates. (Because both maps involve losing areas.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
On the Primeval & Shaggai maps, the Tcho-Tchos can satisfy this requirement by sacrificing any of their controlled gates. (Because both maps involve losing areas.)

This is the first I've seen mentioned about the Shaggai map! Super excited to hear more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of months before we can get Tchos-tchos amd other expansion factions to the table. Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bobacles wrote:
Just a couple of months before we can get Tchos-tchos amd other expansion factions to the table. Awesome!

Shaggai is an OS3 expansion so "a couple of years" is nearer from the truth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Cowley
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an interaction between Tablets of the Gods and Unspeakable Oaths?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
bobacles wrote:

Yeah, aren't there one or two Petersen Games KS head of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtabler wrote:

At least Dicenstein, though the latest update showed production samples, so they are progressing somewhat on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
bobacles wrote:

hahahaha, yes, based on history that's what all should think. gulp

Our new masterplan, which is totally working, is to have everything ready before a KS is launched, so it can immediately go into production. This is additionally helped by O3 having even fewer new things than O2.

but let's focus on O2 - it's almost here! We just have to get right past these holidays, and then Cthulhu Day devil will be upon us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
existoid wrote:
Our new masterplan, which is totally working, is to have everything ready before a KS is launched, so it can immediately go into production. This is additionally helped by O3 having even fewer new things than O2.

Upside, more money for Gods War Advent Two. Downside, less Cthulhu Wars.

As someone who's not in the know, what's left to adapt now anyway? (And I mean scraping the barrel.) I suppose factions using alternate sculpted IGOO's would be impossible...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
jtabler wrote:

At least Dicenstein, though the latest update showed production samples, so they are progressing somewhat on that one.

I meant two more new and upcoming PG kickstarters before OS3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
bobacles wrote:

hahahaha, yes, based on history that's what all should think. gulp

but let's focus on O2 - it's almost here! We just have to get right past these holidays, and then Cthulhu Day devil will be upon us!

I was a little bit provocative...
@Sandy:
1/ no issue for Tchos-Tchos in Primeval, no rules of this map prevent the Tchos-Tchos from removing their initial gate, right ?
2/ I don't know at which point Gods war KS is considered a success but do we have a chance to see the secret, magic and war gods one day ?
3/ Arthur told us about a potential scaled down version of CW, what is the idea exactly ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I think we changed so it works on primeval or something.
2) highly unlikely we'll do this anytime soon, or even at all considering the kickstarter.
3) I hope we never do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
existoid wrote:

Upside, more money for Gods War Advent Two. Downside, less Cthulhu Wars.

As someone who's not in the know, what's left to adapt now anyway? (And I mean scraping the barrel.) I suppose factions using alternate sculpted IGOO's would be impossible...?

As cool as new Factions based on existing iGOOs would be, that won't happen officially - there are already homebrews for several, however.

Among the relatively non-obscure things remaining, we've done nearly everything.

except:
Hound of Tindalos

Cthonians (won't happen, tho. at one point it was going to, but fell through, I think permanently) .

And that's about it, really. Most other things are relatively more obscure than everything we've done. However, Sandy has some ideas that will mean it is both familiar and obscure at the same time. You'll see. There are some things in O3 I'm very excited about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.