Popular Tags: [View All]
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
To be clear - the 6/14 cards that you discard during setup for a 2/3 player game - do they start in the discard pile, and are thus available for the Druid?

If so, I have a couple of problems with this. First, the Druid would scale poorly, from strong 2p (great selection, easy to get first pick) down to horrible 4p (no/poor selection, hard to get first pick). Second, while there is a variant that allows you to mix the one-dot and two-dot Market cards together, it seems that the original rule would make it non-desirable to allow the Druid to get a two-dot card early in the game (although that would be easy to tweak by not allowing the Druid to pull in two-dot cards until one is drawn mid-game).

I have a lot of thoughts about class strategy, but need this clarified before I say more about the Druid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way! They go back in the box and are not available for that game. I want to say the rulebook even says "return them to the box."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solanthos wrote:
No way! They go back in the box and are not available for that game. I want to say the rulebook even says "return them to the box."
I thought the same and checked. The rulebook available at the drop box link says "discard", but that one is labeled as pre-alpha and I'm not sure if/where the final version is available online.
Unfortunately I don't have my hard copy on me to check that.

I've previously played that the cards go back to the box, but I'm not sure if that was specifically in the rules or just carried over from other games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct how the Druid works. It is a powerful class if you have the Gold to support it. I would note that just because a card is on the bottom half of the deck, doesn't mean it's more powerful than the top half. While that is true with some cards, often cards were split into different halves due to utility based on where in the game they come out in a normal game. For example, the blessed mace is in the top half, so people can benefit from it more, or obnoxious is in the first half to give people a chance to build a strategy around it. The armor cards are also split across the two halves to minimize the chances of all the armor cards of one type to come out at the same time.

I do agree that the Druid is probably more useful in a game with less players, though. Given that, in playtesting i never saw a pattern of the Druid running away with the game more often than any other class.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks for verifying.

I agree that the original rule is better at ensuring 1-dot cards come out early (although even then, many are overpriced - separate article) then preventing 2-dot cards from getting into play (although some of those 2-dot skills...). I think the bigger implication - for both the variant and the Druid - is how it affects the ability to set up a two-skill combo for the non-Rogues; that's yet another article on Skills and Traits I have brewing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
solanthos wrote:
I want to say the rulebook even says "return them to the box."

I want to too! Alas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably houserule that they get returned to the box. That's how we've been playing it, and if you're going to remove cards due to player count I don't think anyone should be able to access them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. H.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We returned the cards to the box as well, just assuming that this was to reflect that in a full 4-player game, some cards would inevitably be taken by other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The uploaded rules on BGG still say discard and unless I missed it, I didn't see an official answer in this thread.

Going by the wording, I would say the cards are put in the discard pile and not in the box (unless using that as a house rule)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
They go in the discard pile so things like "Move Silently" and a few other abilities can still gain access to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.