Subject: The Essential Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Legends of Andor often receives the criticism that it lacks replayability. Although Legend 3 in the base game was designed to be replayable, I must agree to some extent. L3’s random monster placement at setup, personal quests, and limited array of end-game bosses become a little uninspiring after a few plays.

But don’t despair, there is Legends of Andor: The Star Shield expansion! I don't consider Star Shield as a Legend, as much as an expansion that transforms the base game into a replayable experience. In my opinion, it gives the base game the long-term replay value it truly deserves!

The expansion has sets of event and objective cards from which you will draw to assemble a different "Legend" each time you play. Depending upon which cards are drawn will drastically mix up the way the game plays out every time.

The expansion includes a rich array of variable victory objectives (the Prince’s Tasks, warding off one of the the main Threats), each highly distinctive and challenging in their own way. It also offers variable paths to uncovering the Star Shield, as well as 4 powerful new artefacts - The Gifts of the Andori (which ones come into play can be determined by a die roll to add even more variability). Finally, Star Shield introduces an interesting new mechanism, the Wolves, which if befriended become valuable allies of the heroes.

In fact, I would say the Wolves are one of the highlights of the expansion. To be tamed, a hero must match their Strength Points in a fight action. But the Wolves are fearsome adversaries: their Strength is equal to 4 times that of any hero! This presents players with a tough decision point: while it is relatively easy to tame the Alpha Wolf with a low-strength hero, the players may be tempted to tame the Alpha with a higher-strength hero, as this will determine the Strength bonus the wolves will contribute to the heroes’ battle value after they’ve been befriended. The way the wolves’ movement works also introduces a challenging new mechanism to the game.

All of these elements will combine differently every time you play, allowing for a significant degree of variability from one game to the next.

If you enjoy Legends of Andor, the Star Shield expansion is a "must get"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you can easily add wolves into Legend 3.

Also there is "super-hard" Legend 3 mode in official FAQ: additional 2 creature tokens at C and N-token at L. So you can use couple of gifts of the Andori with this mode.

Also I wrote some more individual quests and print it put. Sometimes we play using only self-made quests.

But this expansion is really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's great! I know there will only be 2 "big box" expansions but I would love to see more of these "small box" expansions.

My group is loving the new (to americans) Journey North expansion and would love something similar for this map! (Or even the awesome snow map!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, quite the contrary. I no way was this expansion essential.

I was quite disappointed that this box only included a single adventure. There are alot of variable parts, sure. But you still play the same thing over again. This got boring rather quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
To me, quite the contrary. I no way was this expansion essential.

I was quite disappointed that this box only included a single adventure. There are alot of variable parts, sure. But you still play the same thing over again. This got boring rather quick.

I think it's just matter of perception. For me all 5 missions and 6 bosses feels different.

But people should be awared! Some of you also can got this expansions boring rather quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigGameGeek wrote:
I agree it's great! I know there will only be 2 "big box" expansions but I would love to see more of these "small box" expansions.

My group is loving the new (to americans) Journey North expansion and would love something similar for this map! (Or even the awesome snow map!)

There is big half-fan half-official legend at german forum for Hadria:

http://legenden-von-andor.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2744

But I don't know if it's possible to translate this legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Also you can easily add wolves into Legend 3.

Yes. Or if you get tired of the A2 cards in Star Shield, I suppose you could play the expansion by using the randomized monster setup from L3 in the base game (using 10 out of 15 monster tiles). That would add even more variability to the Star Shield!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Denton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was initially doubtful about this just having one adventure but this soon disappeared. The 6 different threats makes it feel like 6 different adventures. Plus if you throw in the variation in monster placement and Prince's Task there is a lot of replayability. I'm going to combine this with the New Heroes expansion for even more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.