Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Lou Dobbs should probably just stop trying to be a septuagenarian version of Hannity.

http://www.inc.com/suzanne-lucas/when-someone-is-rude-to-you...

Inc. wrote:
Utah is a reliably red state--most presidential candidates ignore Utah because no matter who is running, they are going to vote Republican. But this year, a presidential candidate called Evan McMullin has thrown the state into the mix. The little-known candidates, who is not even on the ballot in all 50 states, is running neck and neck with Trump and Clinton.

This is angering some Trump supporters, who think that Utah should have guaranteed Republican electors. Well, Trump supporter Lou Dobbs kind of lost it on Twitter:

Well, rude, calling McMullin a Mormon Mafia Tool. And the Mormon Mafia responded. Let how they responded be a lesson to you. (Hat tip to the Huffington Post, who found some of these tweets)

This isn't the only time Mormons have responded to rudeness with grace and good humor. When the offensive Broadway hit, The Book of Mormon came out, instead of organizing protests, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints simply bought ad space in the Playbill offering playgoers a chance to learn more about the actual Book of Mormon.

When I lived near the Mormon Church History Sites in Palmyra, New York, an anti-Mormon protester took up a spot outside the Joseph Smith Farm. What did the missionaries who worked at the visitor's center do? They went outside, gave the protester some lunch and let him know that he was more than welcome to come inside to beat the heat, get a drink or use the bathroom.

You're going to encounter rude people from time to time. You can scream and yell and threaten to sue, or you can respond like a Mormon: with humor, kindness, and baked goods. Only one of these methods makes everyone better off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Lou Dobbs should probably just stop trying to be a septuagenarian version of Hannity.

http://www.inc.com/suzanne-lucas/when-someone-is-rude-to-you...

Inc. wrote:
Utah is a reliably red state--most presidential candidates ignore Utah because no matter who is running, they are going to vote Republican. But this year, a presidential candidate called Evan McMullin has thrown the state into the mix. The little-known candidates, who is not even on the ballot in all 50 states, is running neck and neck with Trump and Clinton.

This is angering some Trump supporters, who think that Utah should have guaranteed Republican electors. Well, Trump supporter Lou Dobbs kind of lost it on Twitter:

Well, rude, calling McMullin a Mormon Mafia Tool. And the Mormon Mafia responded. Let how they responded be a lesson to you. (Hat tip to the Huffington Post, who found some of these tweets)

This isn't the only time Mormons have responded to rudeness with grace and good humor. When the offensive Broadway hit, The Book of Mormon came out, instead of organizing protests, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints simply bought ad space in the Playbill offering playgoers a chance to learn more about the actual Book of Mormon.

When I lived near the Mormon Church History Sites in Palmyra, New York, an anti-Mormon protester took up a spot outside the Joseph Smith Farm. What did the missionaries who worked at the visitor's center do? They went outside, gave the protester some lunch and let him know that he was more than welcome to come inside to beat the heat, get a drink or use the bathroom.

You're going to encounter rude people from time to time. You can scream and yell and threaten to sue, or you can respond like a Mormon: with humor, kindness, and baked goods. Only one of these methods makes everyone better off.

Mormon baked goods are only good when served with coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
They'll menace us with their poor softball skills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mormon Mafia is a thing. And it the term has three uses.

1) Missionaries.

This is mundane. Blah. No imaginations. I prefer "Might Mormons Tracting Strangers."

2) Populism

Utah is NOT a conservative state. We are a populist state whose populist values largely align with the GOP. But when populism clashes with conservatism, populism wins. And this is... The Mormon Mafia. For good or bad, the impression is that a lot of lawmakers here in the state are in the pocket of the LDS Church and that a lot of legislation that makes it up to Capitol Hill runs past the Church Office Building first for a sniff test. So back when the church was more willing to rule the state with an iron fist, you get some weirdly anti-capitalistic laws such as our byzantine liquor laws. Up until five years ago or so, we didn't have bars. We had "private clubs." So if you wanted to go bar-hopping, you had to sign up as a club member at each and every place. And any alcohol stronger than 3.2% can only be sold at state liquor stores. This is NOT conservatism. This is populism as run by a bunch of teetotalling bastards.

Combine this with a lot of cultural pressure to conform to LDS standards, even for non-members, and you get The Mormon Mafia.

3) Aggressively nice people

We -will- piss you off with our niceness.

True story: We've lost some branches on a dying poplar. We carved off a few more. We were waiting to take down the rest of the tree before we ran all the branches and stuff out to the green waste dump. But the branches were just laying in our driveway.

Until two days ago.

While I had my daughter at swim lessons, someone came by and anonymously picked up a mammoth stack of branches and hauled them off for me. I honestly have no idea who did it. And not knowing who to thank really pisses me off. But there is another member of The Mormon Mafia... doing things not to be seen or acknowledged, but just to serve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
They'll menace us with their poor softball skills!

YOU TAKE THAT BACK BEFORE I CLEAN OUT YOUR GUTTERS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GameCrossing wrote:
Your behavior in RSP might run contrary to that particular character trait.
So what went wrong with you?
Can we return you for one of these "nice" Mormons you're telling us about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Your behavior in RSP might run contrary to that particular character trait.
So what went wrong with you?
Can we return you for one of these "nice" Mormons you're telling us about?

I'm sorry, I am too busy trying to gain some conservative cred to follow your red herring of chasing Mormon cred as well. But nice try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Can I buy Mormon cred with GeekGold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Just for 10%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

No... has to be in gold plates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone shared this on my FB page as their contribution to Mormon Mafia. Behold.... Mormon humor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Wouldn't you rather have the underwear ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty sure Lou Dobbs didn't help push Utah into Trump's column with that comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Pretty sure Lou Dobbs didn't help push Utah into Trump's column with that comment.

But it likely didn't hurt them either. "Mormon Mafia" isn't much of a slur by our standards. Trump's fortunes here are hurt by Trump being Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
blush They certainly are 'quick' too "inquire" if they could be of some help/assistances.
whistle -'moi' RETORT: "Sure, leave us "B" and 'pester' somebody ELSE instead!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Since I live in what amounts to the state with the most Mormons per capita I have to comment on McSpiffy's assessment. He's spot on. We do have bars here but you still have to go to a state controlled liquor dispensary to buy alcohol. Which creeps me out because where I grew up and then subsequently lived before landing in LDS North the there were Liquor Barns and drive-thru package stores so you never had to get out of your death machine to drink and drive.

So they can be annoyingly not conservative. We've had a couple democrat governors because of the LDS vote here and most of our congress and senator people are LDS. Even those who solicit blow jobs in Minneapolis airport bathrooms. Overall, they are really great people to live among. Tons of them game, they are helpful to a fault -- which I grudgingly admit has worn me down and made me less annoyed with people who have car accidents on my travel route or who fall down and roll around on the icy sidewalks. Although the one Mormon anesthesiologist who was my neighbor merely complained about my dogs barking rather than offering to pay for dog training or a bark collar. Asshole.

A long time friend of mine, a Mormon -- who I would literally hand my son over to if things go really bad after Trump takes office and starts deporting Muslims and opening up FEMA camps for dissdents -- is 100% conservative while being married to a lifelong Mormon who is somehow one of the most liberal people I've met in Idaho who was born here. They make for an interesting couple and I can only describe his overall demeanor when his wife goes off on another Gay Mormon Rights Quilting tirade as stoic and reserved. When you have 6 kids I think that's a pretty good way to be overall, Gay Quilting Bees notwithstanding.

He does have an outstanding reloading bench and enough guns and ammo to ensure that any attempt to get him to a FEMA camp would create quite a lot of smoke and noise.

I think the way Utah will go in the election is one of the most interesting parts of this whole political season, eclipsed only by the news today that Anthony Weiner's wiener may end up being Hillary's downfall. Bill will laugh his ass off over that for sure. It's not like they have to give the money back you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shake You NEVAH! "bring wieners" unto a "Sausage FEST"! NOT COOLEST, 'Brat'-the-'wurst'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.