Mice and Mystics» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mice Camping - Change to Rest Spot Fortune Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey y'all,

I've been making a bunch of changes to the core game of Mice & Mystics to make it more suitable to an engrossing campaign play.

I thought Mice should be able to make 'camp' when there are no minions on a tile because what is more adventure-esque than that! Originally I thought they could do this any-time, but I say the mice need the right equipment! Enter, my changes! Let me know what you think:

Card is changed to (party item): Can only be used when track is clear of minions: Move all mice to a chosen mouse’s space/friendly space, or if not, adjacent. Each player heals 1 wound(even poison), and 3 cheese are played on surge wheel. IF Downwood tales: Change to nightfall if not. Items/cheese/etc. can be traded at will. Once used, discarded.

Two Notes:
-Changed from a regular item to a party item
-Supposed to be used in tandem with Downwood Tales Bedrolls party item for maximum effect.
-In my campaign mode, mice keep wounds in tandem chapters (chapters that story-wise happen immediately after each other with no rest), so I thought a full-heal would be too generous.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea, but why not just make this into an option that's always available when there are no minions?

Seems like if you're going to make 'camp' something the mice can trigger when they like, the low chances of actually drawing the card kinda ruins it.

This is my first idea while reading, mind.
I would have to think about the 3 cheese on the wheel being penalty enough if you could do it whenever... maybe add a cheese cost to it as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah originally that was an option but I thought having this on-going effect would change the game too much, and make it too 'fiddly.' Also it may unbalance the game quite a bit. So by restricting it to the card, you don't have to worry about it until you draw the card.

Thematically: The mice need to have the proper supplies to make camp.

On another note, perhaps this works better in my game because I take out all the un-thematic cards from the search deck, and you get them at opportune story moments. Ex. I took out the disguises card, because it doesn't make sense for the mice to just 'find' it.
In other words, I take out the new Camp Fire party card, and award the party item to the mice in a certain story moment. Probably at the beginning of Chapter 2, when the Barksburg sends the mice to search for Lily, they also give the mice supplies to make camp.

WAIT! (just had this idea!): Or it could be like - the mice need to scavenge for 'twigs' (and you can use the twigs cut-out from Tail Feathers) by using an action while there are minions on the board and you are on an outdoor space. Only then can you make camp (assuming we're not using the card variant)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
throwing8smokes wrote:

WAIT! (just had this idea!): Or it could be like - the mice need to scavenge for 'twigs' (and you can use the twigs cut-out from Tail Feathers) by using an action while there are minions on the board and you are on an outdoor space. Only then can you make camp (assuming we're not using the card variant)

Holy crap that sounds awesome! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update, was thinking about it more:

There needs to be engaging, daring, fun situations for the players aside from, 'search' or 'attack'
'Gather resources' - a mouse can use an action on an outdoor space to get twigs for the cost of an action. Only on areas with 'wood'
Add the 'twigs' token to their backpack. (Use from Tail Feathers)

Party item - camp fire rest:
Cash in two twigs tokens (from any player(s) backpack to build a campfire. Normal campfire rules apply.

The campfire could be the item still, or just an instance, "cash-in two twigs at anytime time to trigger it"

Initially I had the Mice roll, like for a standard search (they have to roll the '*' to find the twigs) but I thought, this game has so much rolling, no need to add more! What do you think? Also the 2 twigs are not firm. Could be 3 etc. Needs to be playtested.

Only thing is triggering Nightfall may be too broken in this sense.

Almost makes me want Jerry to implement this rule! Sounds very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some extra thoughts:

- make twig gathering a search action (so mice have to think about whether it's worth their one succesful search for the tile)
edit: sorry, you mentioned that

- can't search for twigs during nightfall

- can't camp during rain (the fire will go out!)

- can't take twigs with you to the next tile

- making the fire is also a 'roll a star' action unless a Wild mouse is in the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all those ideas!

I think it shouldn't count as a search because that way the mice have another meaningful action to take on their turn. They can search, AND look for twigs.

When searching for twigs, I'm wondering if mice should roll the die for a '*'.

But I just feel like it's boring if. I move, search for twigs...don't get it. End turn. What a lousy turn!

Same thing with rolling for searches in general. I feel like nothing meaningful happens on a turn when you just move...search, don't get it. Very boring.

So this twig dynamic shouldn't be burdensome, it should be fun!

I like that you can't search during nightfall. And the rain is awesome.

About starting the fire! I didn't think of that. Hmm if that's the case it may not be able to be a party item after all. But the card serves as a useful reminder.

Perhaps the card can read: "If there are no minions on the tile, a mouse can attempt to activate this card. If they roll a '*' activate this cards effects. If the mouse is wild, maybe tinkerer too? (probably not) ignore this clause"

This way mice have keep trying to light the fire while there are no minions increasing the cheese on the wheel. could be nerveracking.

let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:

Couldn't then the mice camp in an inside tile?

If they can only search for twigs outside, but can't take them with them, then they can't go underground to rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel they should be able to take them to the next tile. However I'm running into the problem that if they can only search for twigs outside, in S&R there's like only 1 tile they can 'scavenge' (search for twigs) on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
throwing8smokes wrote:
I feel they should be able to take them to the next tile. However I'm running into the problem that if they can only search for twigs outside, in S&R there's like only 1 tile they can 'scavenge' (search for twigs) on.

Hmm that's true. Well,

- The forge would have all sorts of kindling you need already there. I mean, it's a forge.
- The king's chamber would likely have it's own little fireplace.
- Maginos' room has books you can burn (surprise)
- The kitchen would likely have a stove or at least something they make tea on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
Teeka wrote:

Couldn't then the mice camp in an inside tile?

If they can only search for twigs outside, but can't take them with them, then they can't go underground to rest.

I though that finding/keeping twigs early and then waiting for the moment you need them, would make things too easy and sortof defeat the idea behind the houserule.

...Maybe you could say that camping indoors can only work on 'room level', not in the basement tunnels where the smoke has nowhere to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:

- Maginos' room has books you can burn (:

I though that finding/keeping twigs early and then waiting for the moment you need them, would make things too easy and sortof defeat the idea behind the houserule.

I never put together that the Alchemist's Library was Maginos' room!!

I thought it'd be thematic if the mice can carry the twigs and set-up camp wherever they want- more of like an adventure.

To balance it, twigs would take up a spot in your backpack. And only a mouse with 2 twigs can start a fire.

It needs to be playtested. Let me know what you think.

Also, in terms of this 'scavenge' mechanic, I bet we could make some use of the seeds token from Tail Feathers as well. Like a food source they have to cook at the fire place? Maybe the seeds token can act like roach bait for flying enemies or if you roll a (1) when holding the seeds for the old crow, discard the seeds instead of taking a wound.

I also feel like the fireplace could add a crafting component like mixing potions, ingredients, berries, seeds. I wonder if Jerry is adding this in the expansions (That'd be so cool!) I haven't played Heart of Glorm so maybe Nere acts like that? How does his potion-making work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
throwing8smokes wrote:
I never put together that the Alchemist's Library was Maginos' room!!

I don't know if it's ever actually stated in S&R, though I reckon it's sortof implied. I mean, he is the royal sorcerer. In HoG though, it's pretty clear that it's his room.

(Or at least it's his lab/workplace, he probably has a little bedroom too somewhere close).

throwing8smokes wrote:
I also feel like the fireplace could add a crafting component like mixing potions, ingredients, berries, seeds.
(...)
I haven't played Heart of Glorm so maybe Nere acts like that? How does his potion-making work?

Can't comment on that without spoiling a bit of HoG for you. whistle

..Though I can tell you that Neré is a girl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh cool! So I guess there's crafting in HoG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
throwing8smokes wrote:
Oh cool! So I guess there's crafting in HoG?

Some spoilers, at your own risk (though I say, just wait until you play it!):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Unfortunately, there's no actual crafting 'mechanic' that you use in the way that we're talking about here with the twigs and fire. However...

A major part of the story is that the mice are trying to make up a magical concoction that they need to defeat the Big Bad.

To that end, they need to go gather the ingredients and then take those to Maginos' lab where he and Neré can put it all together.
Doing so requires trying out different combinations of the ingredients until you get it right. So you might take too long and fail the chapter, and the right combination can be different each time.

I totally loved this part of the game/story. And like many things in HoG, I really wish they'd done a little more with it (or something similar in DT).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:

A major part of the story is that the mice are trying to make up a magical concoction that they need to defeat the Big Bad.

To that end, they need to go gather the ingredients and then take those to Maginos' lab where he and Neré can put it all together.
Doing so requires trying out different combinations of the ingredients until you get it right. So you might take too long and fail the chapter, and the right combination can be different each time.

I totally loved this part of the game/story. And like many things in HoG, I really wish they'd done a little more with it (or something similar in DT).

I haven't played DT, but I must say that I found HoG amazing in terms of mini-games and variations of ways to solve tiles and problems. The campaign is shorter than S&R (6 chapters against 11), but that might be a strong point in that it doesn't ever get repetitive: every chapter has probably 2 specific situations/rules that make each one interesting and a new experience. Very worth getting.

But the mechanic about potion-making is not extrapolable to the game in general, sorry. At least, not without being too cumbersome and strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Glassman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:

But the mechanic about potion-making is not extrapolable to the game in general, sorry. At least, not without being too cumbersome and strange.

Ahh, that's a shame. Perhaps a house-rule variant with crafting/potion making would compliment the 'camping'. I wonder how that would work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.