Subject: Advertising on BGG? A bit much? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the need to make up the losses incurred at Essen from the theft. I understand wanting to show thieves that crime doesn't pay.

What I don't understand is the BGG ad that asks me to support the game when the game is already funded and the Kickstarter has made back a few times over the amount that was stolen.

I appreciate capitalism as much as the next guy, but this may make it seem like you're using a tragedy to promote yourselves.

Just my 2c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
veector wrote:
I understand the need to make up the losses incurred at Essen from the theft. I understand wanting to show thieves that crime doesn't pay.

What I don't understand is the BGG ad that asks me to support the game when the game is already funded and the Kickstarter has made back a few times over the amount that was stolen.

I appreciate capitalism as much as the next guy, but this may make it seem like you're using a tragedy to promote yourselves.

Just my 2c.

Some facts from the inside, in chronological sequence:

1. BGG was immensely helpful and generous to LudiCreations at SPIEL, allowing the use of their really fast internet connection, even sacrificing some connectivity of their SPIEL hotness rating system, so that the KS video could be uploaded.

2. LudiCreations felt obligated to support BGG, since the campaign generated some extra funds. So BGG was offered 1000 USD of the campaign funds.

3. BGG replied that they did not feel that LudiCreations has to do that. LudiCreations insisted, and BGG accepted. BGG offered to donate ad space.

4. LudiCreations accepted, with BGG free to run as few or as many ads as they see fit. LudiCreations asked that 500 USD worth of ads is used to support R&R Games (without them asking or even knowing about this).

5. This thread is posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem pay $5 for a neat little bluffing game, not matter its origin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:

It was a tragedy that happened TO THEM. They aren't turning someone else's suffering into self-gain. Anyone who suffers any sort of tragedy or hardship should be allowed to turn said tragedy/hardship into as amazing an opportunity for themselves as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninnu wrote:
veector wrote:

Just my 2c.

Some facts from the inside, in chronological sequence:

1. BGG was immensely helpful and generous to LudiCreations at SPIEL, allowing the use of their really fast internet connection, even sacrificing some connectivity of their SPIEL hotness rating system, so that the KS video could be uploaded.

2. LudiCreations felt obligated to support BGG, since the campaign generated some extra funds. So BGG was offered 1000 USD of the campaign funds.

3. BGG replied that they did not feel that LudiCreations has to do that. LudiCreations insisted, and BGG accepted. BGG offered to donate ad space.

4. LudiCreations accepted, with BGG free to run as few or as many ads as they see fit. LudiCreations asked that 500 USD worth of ads is used to support R&R Games (without them asking or even knowing about this).

5. This thread is posted.

Appreciate the facts. I meant no disrespect to anyone.

I still feel advertising the game is unnecessary. Good to know everyone is supporting each other.

But no need to list #5 because then you're assuming I know everything from 1 - 4.

Good luck to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also to their credit LudiCreations has already mentioned a few ways they will be spending some of the money to help others like making a retail version of the game to sell to stores for little to no money and they want to do something to help R&R games as well as something to help anyone else that this happens to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.