Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Star Realms Masters Series, Promos Discipline!

This is the main competition thread for the Promos Discipline, while there will be plenty of information contained here, additional information can be found in the main thread, and the discipline qualification thread:

Star Realms Masters Series – main discussion & announcement thread
Star Realms Masters Series – Promos, registration & qualification

The Promos Discipline is centered on competition using the Year 1 Promos digital expansion and the original Base Set for this season. Players who have qualified for the discipline should subscribe to this thread, as well as leave a thumbs-up.

The qualifier and starter tournaments are both played as type-1, while the crossover tournaments on the circuit for this discipline will be type-G1, type-1F, type-1B, type-1E, and type-1H. There are six chances to earn an entry into the Mastery Invitational, by winning the starter tournament, or finishing top-3 in any of the crossover tournaments. All discipline qualifiers will participate in the Mastery Open tournament. Both halves of the Mastery tournament will be played as type-1.

Qualifier Tournament
If you are here legitimately, it means that you have already qualified, and this part of the competition is behind you. You would have earned 2 trophy points as a group winner, or 1 trophy point if you tied for the win.

Starter Tournament
The qualifiers will also move on to the second stage of the tournament, which will be the discipline starter tournament, a double elimination tournament. As with the other double elimination tournaments in the masters series, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games. This is to keep the lower bracket on pace with the upper. The winner of the losers bracket will play the winner of the winners bracket in a best-of-five, with a one game advantage given to the upper player. The winner receives 3 trophy points, second and third place each earn 2 trophy points, fourth through eighth each earn 1 trophy point.

Promos Qualifier/Starter - Challonge Page

Crossover Tournaments
Each crossover tournament will be a double-elimination tournament that qualifiers from two separate disciplines will come together to compete in. As with the starter tournament, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games, and the final match will be played as a lop-sided best-o-five. The winner receives 4 trophy points, second and third place each earn 3 trophy points, fourth through eighth each earn 2 trophy point, and ninth through sixteenth all receive 1 trophy point. Participants who have qualified for both disciplines will receive the full amount of rewarded trophy points toward their ranking in both disciplines.

Gambits & Promos Crossover - Challonge Page
Promos & Fleets Crossover - Challonge Page
Promos & Bases Crossover - Challonge Page
Promos & Events Crossover - Challonge Page

Mastery Tournament
Both halves of the mastery tournament are single elimination, and matches will be played as best-of-three games by default. Entry into the Invitational half requires winning the Starter tournament, or finishing in the Top-3 of any of the Crossover tournaments. Accepting the invitation will also cost some amount of trophy points, probably 3, reducing the advantage the player might otherwise appreciate in the Open half of the tournament. In the Open half of the tournament, advantages will be given to players who have accumulated more trophy points than their opponents. The specific details are yet known, but in general, matches where one player has some threshold more trophy points than their opponent will be played as a lop-sided best-of-five series. The result of using this advantage, or surviving the disadvantage, may cause an adjustment to the trophy point total of the winning player. The idea is to place an appropriate level of importance on performance in earlier tournaments, while still allowing any qualifier a reasonable chance at winning the mastery.

Tentative Calendar
Qualifier tournament - Complete
Starter tournament - Complete
The Circuit
Crossover tournament 1 - Live [G1]
Crossover tournament 2 - Complete [1F]
Crossover tournament 3 - Live [1B]
Crossover tournament 4 - Live [1E]
Crossover tournament 5 - Jan-12
Mastery Open tournament - Feb-07
Mastery Invitational - Feb-14

Quick Navigation: [ Gambits | Promos | Bases | Events | Heroes | Fleets ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Promos Discipline Standings

Participants TP | Pq Ps Gx Fx Bx Ex Hx
------------ -- | -- -- -- -- -- -- --
CrankyDay 8 | 2 2 2 2 0
+dommola 7 | 2 1 0 1 3*
+AgentSeto 6 | 0 1 1 1 3*
+Chazzmo 6 | 1 0 3 0 2*
+Randt 6 | 1 1 3 0 1
DarthChronos 5 | 1 2 0 0 2
+networktoast 5 | 2 0 0 3 0
+ColinMacLeod 5 | 1 3 0 1 0
dlow 4 | 1 0 1 0 2*
DCrossTL 4 | 1 0 0 2 1
AJEddy 4 | 1 0 1 2 0
KineticMan 4 | 0 1 2 1 0
CCKinnison 3 | 1 0 0 2 0
RedLightning 3 | 2 0 0 1 0
Arcesius 3 | 0 1 1 1 0
Kamillian 2 | 2 0 0 0 0
Werbe 2 | 2 0 0 0 0
SarahT 2 | 0 0 0 2 0
StormDragon 1 | 0 0 0 0 1
Ominous 1 | 1 0 0 0 0
MarcelP 1 | 1 0 0 0 0

* still active in Bases Crossover
+ earned seat in Mastery Invitational
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Promos Discipline Results

Promos & Bases Crossover - 1st: AgentSeto
Promos & Bases Crossover - 2nd: dlow
Promos & Bases Crossover - 3rd: dommola
Promos & Bases Crossover - 4th: Chazzmo
Promos & Bases Crossover - 7th: DarthChronos
Promos & Bases Crossover - 9th: StormDragon
Promos & Bases Crossover - 13th: DCrossTL, RandT

Promos & Fleets Crossover - 2nd: networktoast
Promos & Fleets Crossover - 4th: DCrossTL
Promos & Fleets Crossover - 5th: AJEddy, CCKinnison
Promos & Fleets Crossover - 7th: CrankyDay, SarahT
Promos & Fleets Crossover - 9th: AgentSeto, Arcesius, dommola
Promos & Fleets Crossover - 13th: ColinMacLeod, KineticMan, RedLightning

Gambits & Promos Crossover - 2nd: Chazzmo
Gambits & Promos Crossover - 3rd: RandT
Gambits & Promos Crossover - 5th: KineticMan
Gambits & Promos Crossover - 7th: CrankyDay
Gambits & Promos Crossover - 9th: AJEddy, dlow
Gambits & Promos Crossover - 13th: AgentSeto, Arcesius

Starter Tournament - 1st: ColinMacLeod
Starter Tournament - 2nd: CrankyDay
Starter Tournament - 3rd: DarthChronos
Starter Tournament - 4th: Arcesius
Starter Tournament - 5th: KineticMan and AgentSeto
Starter Tournament - 7th: RandT and dommola

Qualifier - Group A: RedLightning wins, StormDragon qualifies.
Qualifier - Group B: MarcelP and ColinMacLeod tie.
Qualifier - Group C: Kamillian wins, AgentSeto qualifies.
Qualifier - Group D: networktoast wins, SarahT qualifies.
Qualifier - Group E: DarthChronos and Chazzmo tie.
Qualifier - Group F: CrankyDay wins, KineticMan qualifies.
Qualifier - Group G: Ominous and DCrossTL tie.
Qualifier - Group H: AJEddy and dlow tie.
Qualifier - Group I: Werbe wins, Arcesius qualifies.
Qualifier - Group J: dommola wins, Max qualifies.
Qualifier - Group K: CCKinnison and RandT tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Starter Tournament has begun.

as a reminder; matches in the winners bracket are best-of-three, while matches in the losers bracket are single-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl P (Chazzmo)
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Cranky,

How are you deciding who gets a first round bye and who doesn't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For this one, it was a random draw. as will the other starter tournaments be. However, I will be tracking who received byes and who didn't within a given disciplines competition schedule, with the goal of balancing it out as fairly as possible over the course of the crossover tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amaro Barreal
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey CCKinnison, I declined one of the games as it's now best of 3, so there might not be the need for a third game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Gibbs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcesius wrote:
Hey CCKinnison, I declined one of the games as it's now best of 3, so there might not be the need for a third game

From Challonge:
Each player will play a three game series against each other member of the group. After each match, either participant (typically the winner) will enter the result into Challonge, reporting the score as 3-0 or 2-1.

From the First Post in this thread:

As with the other double elimination tournaments in the masters series, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games.

Yo! Cranky! Which is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Edmunds
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CCKinnison wrote:
Arcesius wrote:

From Challonge:
Each player will play a three game series against each other member of the group. After each match, either participant (typically the winner) will enter the result into Challonge, reporting the score as 3-0 or 2-1.

From the First Post in this thread:

As with the other double elimination tournaments in the masters series, matches in the top bracket will be played as best-of-3 games, while matches in the losers bracket will be played as single-games.

Yo! Cranky! Which is it?

Both. The first applies to Group play, the second applies to the Starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the quote from Challonge is about group stage the section about the starter looks like this:
challonge wrote:
Final Stage: The second stage of the tournament is a double-elimination tournament which is the Starter tournament for Discipline qualifiers. Players are competing to earn Trophy Points for ranking within the Discipline, and winning the Starter tournament secures a spot in the Mastery Invitational at the end of the Season. The winner of the Starter tournament earns 3 Trophy Points, the second and third place finishers each earn 2 Trophy Points, and the remaining players in the Top-8 will each earn 1 Trophy Point.

Upper Bracket: In the opening round, and for all rounds within the winners bracket, matches will be played in a best-of-three series. It is encouraged, but not required, that players play the first two games simultaneously, and then play the third if needed. It is also acceptable to start three games all at once, even if the result ends in a 3-0 sweep.

Lower Bracket: In all rounds of the losers bracket, matches will be played as single games. This is designed to keep the lower bracket, which has more rounds, on pace with the upper bracket.

Grand Final: When the winner of the upper bracket and winner of the lower bracket face off to determine first and second place, the match will be played as a best-of-five, with the winner from the upper bracket starting with a 1-0 advantage. This means that the upper bracket winner just needs to win two more games, while the lower bracket winner will need to win three games. This is an alternative to a two-part final.

But you'll notice, sending three challenges is perfectly acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randt over agentseto in the first elimination round 2-1. Great matches. You play crazy fast! Feel free to challenge me any time for warmups for any other disciplines you might be doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Waymost
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ominous: We don't need to play the third match since you won 2-0 already, but we can for fun if you want. I wouldn't mind a little revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reclaimer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toaster83 wrote:
Hey Ominous: We don't need to play the third match since you won 2-0 already, but we can for fun if you want. I wouldn't mind a little revenge.

Actually you are supposed to play the third game regardless, see above.

Yeah I was confused about that too, but it's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Winners brackets matches are best-of-three. A third game is only necessary if the first two are split.

Some players play games back-to-back-to-back, while others play two games simultaneous, and a third game as necessary. The verbiage, while possibly confusing, is attempting to say that playing three-games simultaneously is also acceptable, and is a potential time saver for those who can handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good games Arcesius!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amaro Barreal
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
Good games Arcesius!

Man, I didn't even come close to a win.. You honestly just destroyed me... Down I go to the losers bracket!

Well played, Cranky!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Newport
msg tools
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on the Max/StormDragon front (And DCrossTL/Kineticman for that matter)? It's been six days since I have been out of round two, and three days since the most recent update. Two people waiting on round 2 to finish up, and already two people waiting on round three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDGAR MENDEZ
United States
EL PASO
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DCrossTL/KineticMan match has finished.
I've updated the scores on Challonge.

DarthChronos wrote:
Any update on the Max/StormDragon front (And DCrossTL/Kineticman for that matter)? It's been six days since I have been out of round two, and three days since the most recent update. Two people waiting on round 2 to finish up, and already two people waiting on round three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started sending geek mail to players with long outstanding matches as of earlier today, but have not heard back on these specific matches yet. I apologize for the delays, hopefully things will resolve soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blount
United States
Atascadero
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Max won the match so I though he would have updated the board, I've done it now so things can start moving forward again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there Promos discipline!

I've come to really appreciate what the Promos can bring to a game. type-1E is probably my favorite format, so I am really looking forward to that crossover. My secret to success is a staunch reliance of the hard-working Starbase Omega.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Newport
msg tools
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormBlount wrote:
Max won the match so I though he would have updated the board, I've done it now so things can start moving forward again!

No worries. I've been there many a time. I hate updating when I lose. Haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Newport
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keeping updated. Max accepted my challenges sometime after I went to sleep (I think), but there has been no progress since accepting. This leads me to believe that we may be on a pretty severe time difference, but I don't know for sure.

Max, after I get off work in about 20 minutes, I have a pretty clear schedule through the weekend. If there is any time that works for your where we can knock it out, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. This situation is getting a bit ridiculous. Max took 1 turn each in our outstanding Events qualifier games at about the 46 hour mark. I played back right away, but had no activity since. There has been a geekmail out to them since yesterday morning. Will likely have to remove from all competition if their turn frequency does not increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kurtz
msg tools
I think we've got some time, but Arcesius and I are wrapping up a game in another tournament before we start our match here (both the same format). Let me know if we need to get moving... Should be soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.