Hide
13 Posts

Tiny Epic Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Solo mode question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Grogg
msg tools
To anyone familiar with tiny epic games, when do they usually release the solo rules for their games? I want this game but dont want to commit until I know the rules for solo play. Also, what are your thoughts on how a solo game would play? Will it just be a "try to beat your high score type of game"? or could there be some other end game. I thought it would be cool if at the end of the 5 days, you were confronted by a "boss" that you had to battle and would have certain bonuses and such depending on how you progressed in your 5 days. If you didnt have a great adventure, the boss would be very hard and a little easier based on items/spells you acquired. They could have multiple bosses so at the end of the game you would just draw 1 so that you could have a random boss each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, yes, they have released solo rules (or at the very least, given an overview of how solo works).

The specifics of solo play varies from TE game to TE game, but none are of the "beat your best score" variety.

TEK: The Heroes Call expansion added rules for a dummy player, along with a card/mat that helps the dummy player make decisions.

TED: A straight up co-op with the standard "play 2 characters" solo rule.

TEG: Has various dummy opponents, each with unique AI and difficulty level. You choose one to play against.

TEW: Also uses a dummy player, with some specific rules on how that player will act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
Thats very encouraging. Of the ones you mentioned, which one plays best solo? Thanks Marty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:
Thats very encouraging. Of the ones you mentioned, which one plays best solo? Thanks Marty.

I'm going to defer to others here, because I'm generally not a solo gamer. I have played TED and TEG solo and enjoyed them (TEG being the best of the two for me because as a standard co-op, TED solo feels like the same experience as a 2-player game). I haven't played TEK or TEW solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:

TEG is good solo. Haven't played TEW though so can't comment on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:

For me, TEG had been the best solo experience by far. I found the TEK-HC one to be very fiddly and rather random, TEW is somewhat dry, and TED is mostly going through the motions. But TEG provides a solo opponent that even though he's essentially just a timer, it somehoe still feels very interesting.

It might of course be that I'm letting my general opinion of the games cloud my judgement of their respective solo modes. Although I'm pretty fond of TEW in multiplayer. And solo TEG just is a blast. Very much looking forward to see how Scott'll tir in pilots with theh bew solo opponents in TEG-BtB!

Oh, btw, TEG pro tip - you can use the solo opponents in multiplayer games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TEG is a good solo game, with increased difficulty levels for a nice variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Another plug for TEG here. I really enjoy playing it solo and I don't feel like I'm playing a dumbed down version of the game. TED is a standard co-op so it plays similarly to when you play with multiple people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like galaxies solo.
I play Defenders with pleasure solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also give a vote for TED. I think it is a great solo puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll throw in on TEG having the best solo play, due to the variety of opponents to play against. But I really like Tiny Epic Western solo too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I love TED solo, but sometimes I swear out loud playing it. You get to the boss reveal and have a decent plan on how to proceed, only for the shuffle placing all four of your cards at the bottom of the deck. The kingdom burns and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You can mitigate with magic items, but you have to guess if you can do this or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
Posse91 wrote:

TEG is good solo. Haven't played TEW though so can't comment on that one.

TEW's solo mode is pretty good. It's a dummy player, but the way it functions is very easy and effortless to play, while being close to an actual player in terms of challenge. I find it a bit on the easy side, and unfortunately there are no official variants to make it harder, but I still am playing it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.