Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For those that have played it with two, did you enjoy it? I know the original game didn't do too well with two, so I am wondering if this one fares better. I suspect I will buy it anyway, but it playing well with two would bump it up the list.

I know eventually more people will vote on the number of players poll but for now, I was hoping to hear about people's experiences with the game.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed it has a similar "Against the Trust" 2p variant (basically an AI/bot player that interferes with the players). I recently played the original Power Grid with this variant (which debuted in the deluxe version a couple of years ago and been fairly well received) and really liked it; So I am also curious how the card game version fares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
I noticed it has a similar "Against the Trust" 2p variant (basically an AI/bot player that interferes with the players). I recently played the original Power Grid with this variant (which debuted in the deluxe version a couple of years ago and been fairly well received) and really liked it; So I am also curious how the card game version fares.

I've had the same positive experience with the new 2p rules for the original so Hoefully it offers a similar experience. Really looking forward to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCool
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my personal opinion, after only having played 2p 3 times... It seems rather flat compared to a game with more players. Hopefully, others will disagree with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a 2p video runthrough, and it looked fine to me. But then I'm fine with less interaction in games, so ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Junker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played it a couple times now with just my wife and I. As a caveat, I haven't tried the against the trust varient with either the original or deluxe versions, and I haven't tried the card game yet with 3 or more. So I can't make an apples to apples comparison, but overall I like it.

I suspect that removing the board is going to lead to a bit more level experience playing two players vs three plus since the wide open map was one of the things that made the original game such a weak two player experience.

It's really tough for me to evaluate this as a stand-alone game. I honestly have no idea how I'd feel about it if I didn't have such fond feelings for its big brother. I don't know that that matters though. For me, at least, I think it will fill a useful niche of, "I really want to play Power Grid, but it's just the two of us." It feels like Power Grid. It feels like a rushed version of Power Grid, but it does scratch that itch. I'd certainly set this up before trying to manage the robots expansion again, and my wife prefers it to the original because she likes a bit more chaotic tactical vs a predictable strategic game, and the randomized resource market adds some more unpredictability to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeJ6 wrote:

I suspect that removing the board is going to lead to a bit more level experience playing two players vs three plus since the wide open map was one of the things that made the original game such a weak two player experience.

Really? I always thought that was a problem easily solved, through blocking off connections.

I thought the classic reason Power Grid didn't work for two was the auction mechanic (and by "classic" I mean "community consensus reason").

You make no mention of the auction mechanics, good or ill, so I can only assume you... didn't hate them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Junker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've really only tried the original game two player a couple times. My overwhelming memory from the one time we tried it with the original rules was, that there was a lot of space, and never any kind of pressure on me because of the map. Even if my wife beat me to a spot, there were other equally good options, and so the map just never really weighed into any kind of decision making.

The only other time we tried playing the original game two player was with the robots expansion, which was really fiddly, and involved lots of checking the rules book.

I'm sure the robots get better with a few plays, and there's a variant of the "trust" dummy player that's been adapted for the original game, and it's possible that there's an easy fix for the map, like you suggest, but we just kind of stopped even considering Power Grid for the two of us. It was a lot of work to set up and run for a game that my wife was pretty ambivalent on, and I didn't enjoy all that much because she wasn't having fun.

So from that point of view, I like stripping out the map. It's one less thing to set up, that wasn't adding anything anyway, and makes it that much easier to get the game to the table.

I was actually just thinking about how the auctions work for us when we played again the other night. Neither of us are particularly confrontational, especially when we're playing each other, so we typically don't like auctions at all. And in this game, we pretty much just don't bid against each other. I kind of suspect that would ruin the auction phase of things for most people, but the structure of Power Grid is such that there's enough interesting choices even when the auction effectively becomes mostly just plant selection. Because of the turn order advantage whoever goes second will probably get to pick from a better selection of plants, but if the first player picks something crucial to their plans, they can jump in with a bid. So there's still the same sort of weighing of different options, and taking the risk that the plant you really want in the future market might not move into the current market. Also there seem to be way fewer circumstances where somebody absolutely needs to win a particular plant just to have a chance at the game, which is where the really brutal auctions come from in my experience. Because you're also getting points for your cash on hand at the end of the game, you might be able to make up for losing out on the only 10 elektro capacity plant in the market by getting a 9 and its resources cheaply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
MikeJ6 wrote:

Really? I always thought that was a problem easily solved, through blocking off connections.

I thought the classic reason Power Grid didn't work for two was the auction mechanic (and by "classic" I mean "community consensus reason").

You make no mention of the auction mechanics, good or ill, so I can only assume you... didn't hate them?

I definitely think the map is a problem for two players... even three players. Power Grid really shines at 4+ players since you are able to actually lock players out of cities in Phase 3. For me, my largest problem with 2 players mostly stems from the resource market. One of my favorite aspects of Power Grid is being able to punish the lead player by making their most desired resource scarce. I want to ensure that the lead player pays out the nose to power all their cities. With two players, I always felt like I didn't have as much power over the resource market. At best, I could knock the resource price up a tier... maybe two. But hardly enough to make a huge impact.

I could see this being a similar problem with the Card Game. Especially when the number of resource cards doesn't change from 2 players to 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.