Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You kids, get offa my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up on Amazon for $12 a few months ago and haven't gotten it to the table yet, but I don't get why it hasn't had more buzz.

Seems like it checks a lot of boxes that would make it popular - nice components, light-medium complexity, 2-5 players, plays in 1-2 hours, interesting theme and somewhat unique mechanics.

Like I said - I have not played it yet, but it *seems* to have the characteristics of a strong game, yet it's in the bargain bin. Is there a glaring fault with the game my inexperienced eye hasn't noticed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For starters, it is an older game now and not part of the "Cult of the New." Aside from that it is an OK game, nothing really stands out about it. My gaming group pulls it out every now and again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 'cult of the new', hence older games get forgotten.
Black Gold is a game I quite like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus the theme, oil exploration, is not a politically correct theme for many boardgamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MitchLav wrote:
I picked this up on Amazon for $12 a few months ago and haven't gotten it to the table yet, but I don't get why it hasn't had more buzz.

Seems like it checks a lot of boxes that would make it popular - nice components, light-medium complexity, 2-5 players, plays in 1-2 hours, interesting theme and somewhat unique mechanics.

Like I said - I have not played it yet, but it *seems* to have the characteristics of a strong game, yet it's in the bargain bin. Is there a glaring fault with the game my inexperienced eye hasn't noticed?

Played it recently. It was fun. But the luck of the tile draw was a negative for some of the folk at the table. I got lucky draws so I didn't see the problem with it . Seriously though, I thought it was fairly unique and particularly liked the auctions bluffing/liquidation. The luck element actually felt right for an oil drilling/prospecting game like this. However with a game of this length, there probably needs to be a better way to mitigate it other than "peek". Often, there's no other tile choice in range...you have to take what you get. Also if the game were shorter, a run of bad luck wouldn't be so crippling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.