Subject: Similar to "Witch of Salem" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ciucci
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
Has anyone noticed that there are a fair amount of similarities to "Witch of Salem"? Both are good games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
albafan wrote:
Has anyone noticed that there are a fair amount of similarities to "Witch of Salem"? Both are good games though.

The theme is similar, but that's true of most of the Lovecraftian games. The art is probably more similar between the two games than most, but WoS only has Arkham on the map, where PRoC has 4 towns.

OOs do get flipped during the game, with effect, but the effects are not similar. There is a die to roll in each, but it is rolled at different times, and has different effects. The games are comparable weight and length. Mechanically they're pretty different.

So while there are a couple similarities, and they fill a similar niche, I view them as being quite distinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ciucci
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
My point is that Old Ones are flipped, Gates need to be closed, there is a die, it's cooperative and there is, in essence, a time limit. I bet the designer was aware of"Witch of Salem" when he dreamt this game up. That being said, there are many differences here also and the game is true to it's "Pandemic" roots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Jornet
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.reservoirjocs.cat
badge
Passion & know-how in culturetainment & boardgames. Playtester, UI/UX reviewer and podcast host at RESERVOIR JOCS since 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned the Spanish version of WoS called here La Sombra de Cthulhu (Cthulhu's Shadow) and when I saw for first time this new Pandemic retake I directly connected my mind with WoS.

I played WoS, and I actually own PRoC but I haven't played yet, but the flavour in art, story and concept is almost the same for me.

I understand that you also linked this two different games for one strange reason. I love this new release because it covers greatly the lacking of WoS in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are only similar superficially. Theme is the same, both are cooperative, both have GOOs that flip, and both have players moving through locations to put out fires. But the actual gameplay is vastly different. Pandemic:RoC's gameplay is basically Pandemic on easy-to-medium difficulty setting. While Witch of Salem also has you moving through locations collecting stuff, its monsters are much more diverse and responsive. Plus, the addition of the NPC "Witch" has a great effect on the game. The GOOs in WoS are probably the most similar element between the 2 games, but even so, the fact that they can come through Miskatonic's portal to harass you and thus also become vulnerable adds depth to their role in the gameplay. Overall, I think WoS offers the more interesting and difficult puzzle to solve, but Pandemic:RoC is a fine, distinct game that will appeal to a wider range of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.