Subject: Hard to win as alien, with more players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Léan -
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game a few times now, with different numbers of players. I mostly played alien.

Playing against 2 or 3 Hunted was a close match. However, playing against 4+ Hunted I felt I had little to no chance, and the gap was rather big.

I was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts about the number of players, and whether they found that with bigger player numbers, it was much harder on the alien?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more players the bigger chance they will either play different cards or the same cards. It's easier to catch them this way. With more players, you play less deduction, more points gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léan -
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
The more players the bigger chance they will either play different cards or the same cards. It's easier to catch them this way. With more players, you play less deduction, more points gain.

What I found is, that if you can only place 1 token, the Hunted can buy new places very fast, either through place 5 or place 1. You can't block both.

My last play for example. I was up against 4 Hunted. In the first turn, I could only place the Alien token. I had no Hunter or Artemia cards, so I wasn't allowed to use them. I gambled and blocked 5, but 3 players chose 1. So 3 players were able to get a new place, and they all chose a different one. So in round 2, I had, again, only the Alien token I could play (no luck with my Hunter cards). I now was facing 8 possible places they could go. And only 1 token to place. It kind of snowballed very fast from there on. And this isn't the first game this happened.

I am wondering whether I somehow interpreted the rules wrong and we played the game wrong, or whether the odds for the Alien are stacked against him/her when more players are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe they just played better. I dunno. I don't have such experiences. All my games were very close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léan -
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Or maybe they just played better.

Well, this is exactly what I am trying to determine. What did I do wrong? So how do you proceed if after 2 turns all places are in play, and you only have 1 or 2 tokens, and players have 4 hand cards left? Because that was basically what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I came here to ask the exact same question.

We have now played several games with me as the alien against 5 other players.

I just don't see how it is possible to win as the alien against so many players. Am I missing something?

On the last game I played I caught someone on pretty much every turn, about the best I could do as alien I think - yet I still lost by 4 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You still have your cards to play - they can be quite detrimental. And their cards will run out eventually, you have to do as much as you can to prevent them from regaining their cards. Keep them low at 1 will, so that they will be less eager to regain their cards, until the last moment.

If nothing helps, play the variant from the other side of the board, where you have Artemia help every other round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twilight Westwood
msg tools
mb
Wowww. dont know what are u talking about!)
We beated aline only 1 vs 1.
I played about 10 games from 3-5 players and explorers NEVER won the game. Donno maybe because alien side was played mostly by experience players but we even started to thinking of making some homerules for explorers to make more chance to win for it (for example at the start of the game each explorer take 2 survival cards and choose one. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léan -
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
You still have your cards to play - they can be quite detrimental. And their cards will run out eventually, you have to do as much as you can to prevent them from regaining their cards. Keep them low at 1 will, so that they will be less eager to regain their cards, until the last moment.

If nothing helps, play the variant from the other side of the board, where you have Artemia help every other round.

I tried the variant from the other side of the board as well. And yes, you can always play 1 general card, along with the 1 Alien token. Changing the side of the board definitely made it easier for the Alien player. Still, the Hunted have cards as well and they can be detrimental too. Trying to prevent them from regaining cards is great. But then you leave open the buying of new places (and therefore more options for them to go). Whatever you chose to do, it seems that you just randomly gamble on what the Hunted might be going for next. I don't feel I have a lot of influence or choice when I play Alien.

westwoodFM wrote:
Donno maybe because alien side was played mostly by experience players

Or maybe your Hunted are very inexperienced My group consists of die hard minmaxers and they know what they are doing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Goulet
Canada
flag msg tools
We've played 4 times in the past 2 weeks with 5 to 7 players, and never was the alien close to win. Easy victory for the hunted all 4 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli gui
msg tools
In our group it was always the same picture (played 6games with 4+ hunted), the Alien had never ever a chance. The best i remember was that he made 5 steps. As hunted its just too easy to hide, get new places.
The Secret is most of the time, just visit places, which makes no sense. So the Alien is always afraid of the Hot Spots (Rover, Beach etc.) and misses them alot.

At the end of a round, the marker moves for the hunteds and thats just the key to victory.
I like the mecanics of the game, but it fell off for me, because their is no real challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olivierg wrote:
The Secret is most of the time, just visit places, which makes no sense. So the Alien is always afraid of the Hot Spots (Rover, Beach etc.) and misses them alot.

You don't play poker, do you?

The game is very susceptible to the tunnel vision/group think. Saying that "Alien is always afraid of hot spots" is a key problem in your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quaoar 10
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 vs. 5 is hard to ein for the Alien in my experience, partly due to the large number of survival cards available to the hunted. I was thinking of changing the starting position or keeping the number of survival cards at four (so some players would start without). Have yet to try this though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I have now played 3 times with 4-5 players, the first was a landslide victory for the alien (me ), the second was a highly dramatic last-turn victory for the alien, and the third was an easy win for the humans. After the first game, I thought that the alien was advantaged, but maybe the game becomes easier for the humans with experience.

I also think the first 2-3 rounds are absolutely critical. If the alien can deny new cards for the humans for a few turns, it has a huge advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Jerusalem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkyre wrote:
rattkin wrote:

What I found is, that if you can only place 1 token, the Hunted can buy new places very fast, either through place 5 or place 1. You can't block both.

My last play for example. I was up against 4 Hunted. In the first turn, I could only place the Alien token. I had no Hunter or Artemia cards, so I wasn't allowed to use them. I gambled and blocked 5, but 3 players chose 1. So 3 players were able to get a new place, and they all chose a different one. So in round 2, I had, again, only the Alien token I could play (no luck with my Hunter cards). I now was facing 8 possible places they could go. And only 1 token to place. It kind of snowballed very fast from there on. And this isn't the first game this happened.

I am wondering whether I somehow interpreted the rules wrong and we played the game wrong, or whether the odds for the Alien are stacked against him/her when more players are involved.

The games I've played with a large number of Hunted have been pretty close affairs for the most part.

Yes, I agree the first few rounds can be tricky when you only have the Creature token to play. The Hunt cards make up for this by giving you the chance to play the Target and Artemia tokens. If you get an initial hand of Hunt cards without any of these effects, I suggest you play them quickly to get new Hunt cards, as I've found that not having cards with Target/Artemia effects can slow your early game down a bit.

That being said, even though you only have the Creature token to play in the early rounds, the Hunted have just 5 cards to choose from. If you're playing against 4, 5 or 6 Hunted, there's a good chance you'll catch one of them and you'll find that many players try to go for The Rover early on to expand their options, so that's usually a good bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's crucial to build a good hand of Hunt cards, same way it's crucial for Hunted to get some Survival cards.

I've just played another 2 games with completely different crowd, both ended with Hunted winning by playing smart, but I've only needed one catch as a creature in both cases, so it was very close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have made the experience in some games with 5 hunted players that they visit the wrack or beach simultaneously. If the alien player is able to predict this point in time and just has one fitting card a multicatch can be pulled off. We had it a few times that the como of predicting the place a player has gone plus multiple catches won the game for the alien player -which was super epic...
So I think player count is not that important, the alien player just needs to play very smart and build up a atmosphere of pressure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh G
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think a lot of it has to do with who's playing the creature. Someone who's good at predicting behaviour will do well, someone who isn't, probably won't. In our case, we've played 5 games with 3-5 hunted and the same player as the creature and he's won every time. Only once did the hunted come close.

In two of those games though, the creature started off with hunt cards that allowed him to disable both the rover/beach while the alien stalked the lair in back-to-back turns (which was absolutely brutal).

If the creature is able to do that, it's basically a guaranteed victory, since it puts the hunted on the defensive and unable to expand to new locations for 5-6 turns, by which point the creature will have caught enough hunted that it's too late for them to mount a comeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience and my friend experience I can say:

(my friend experience is with different group of people )

- first 2-3 games were quite easy for me or my friend as alien
- few games more and it was rather hard to win as an alien, in those games we, as aliens, were sometimes helpless to do anything
- from now on we are unable to win as an alien, just too much survive cards, the moment when you think you will catch up with survivors they play card and your entire plan, great of course, is ruined.

I like this game very much but since ... 5-6 plays I am always loosing as creature. We were analyzing what I could do better but there not much here :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.