Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prowse
England
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
I have a problem to discuss and advice to request, if you'd be so good, please:

I was brave and foolish enough to launch my Kickstarter live at AireCon after several months telling everyone about it on Facebook and Twitter. It was terrifying up there live on stage (and live online) clicking the button and trying to make it all happen.

What happened? Well, we got a very slow start is what happened.
Then fight, fight, promote, fight, promote, debate, promote. (Meanwhile, other Kickstarters were funding in 24 hours all around us.)
After 5 days, we were up to 29% and I was posting like mad... and then got told stop posting, you're becoming white noise. Very crushing, as this is the first time that I'd done anything like this.

After getting very excited on Wednesday about getting a quarter there, I messaged backers and then Facebook groups encouraging them to spread the word, in the hope that they would share their excitement about the game with everyone. Well, the opposite happened. We stayed at 72 backers for a full 24 hours. I'm really sorry if I offended anyone by being too keen. I really believe that this game can bring fun into people's lives; it has great atmosphere, storytelling and fun twists. People who play it have a good laugh - I've not played a single game of it where people weren't didn't crack a smile and share a few laughs together. I believe in it; otherwise I wouldn't have launched live in front of a room of people (and of course the Internet). So what I'm trying to work out is what went wrong and how I can learn from it.

I've had feedback and advice saying post more, post less, have more reviews, less reviews, like the photos, don't like the photos. And so on.

So, now to the real crux of the matter: without just plugging away on Facebook and risking annoying people, how have others managed to battle through this mid-campaign slump? I literally don't know as this is my first ever KS project, so I'm making first-timer mistakes a-plenty, I'm sure. However, I'd be really keen to hear how others have managed to survive this without just pouring $$$$$$ into it!

(I'm not just here to push the game, so I'm not posting a link or anything, but if you ARE interested, the game's name is Top Hats And Treachery and it is live now. But I'm mainly here for the advice!!)

Please let me know your advice. I'm really keen to listen to people's experiences of Kickstarter and Kickstarter campaigns - I'm here to learn! Thank you. Andrew Prowse / GM FIRST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Guide to Promoting Crowdfunds and Games on the Geek

I've seen plenty good games fail to fund, only to make it second to third time.

It doesn't look like you are making the most out of BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your decision to use old, black & white photos is a bold one. The graphic design must be top notch to support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely read Jamey Stegmaier's book: A Crowdfuner's Strategy Guide. https://www.amazon.com/Crowdfunders-Strategy-Guide-Business-...

He also has a blog all about Kickstarter: http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/lessons/

He pretty much discusses everything having to do with Kickstarter, some reasons why a game does well or doesn't, etc...

As another good resource on top of those, have you tried the advice column at Gate Keeper Games?
http://www.gatekeepergaming.com/kickstarter-advice-columns/

Don't know if any of those will help but as I begin my Kickstarter journey, they have already made a huge difference in how I go about the campaign and so many of the elements that go into it. Both those authors have run many successful Kickstarter campaigns (as well as some failed ones that they share lessons from).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.