Hide
3 Posts

Lagoon: Land of Druids» Forums » General

Subject: conceptual retheme of lagoon: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
davey yaved
msg tools
Hi Lagoon players. I thought id share a different theme that I feel fits the novel and really cool mechanics of this game. I have presented the game to people as the struggle of 2-4) demiurges that are pitted against each other to form a new world and thereby achieve dominion over it. The demiurge is a type of supernatural being popularized by Plato in "the timmeus". The demiurge is a subordinate god who provides the active principle or creative force to form the world. The big token represents the demiurge and the smaller pieces represent aspects of the demiurge through which s/he can manifest creative, world building forces. this works pretty well and puts unraveling in a context that coheres well with the theme. Exploring becomes creating new aspects of the world from the background of chaos that Plato describes as the ontologic substrate of the demiurge. Drawing tiles is the way that chaos (randomness) manifests in the process of world creation. This theme is more compelling to me and fits the mechanics very well. It brings a "feeling" to the game that complements its intellectual richness.
What do you think of this "conceptual reskin"?
Fiat lux,
Davey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
Admittedly Plato did not envision several competing demiurge... But in the words of platos teacher, the inestimable Socrates: "whatevs".

Btw: My favorite count is 4 (2 pairs) although I'm thinking of picking up a second copy (criminally cheap) and trying 3 pairs (6). I think to speed play up both members of a team might play their turns simultaneously.

Davey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty great quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.