So
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
continued our gameplay of Labyrinth. Last night we played the expansion The Awakening, 2010-?. I continued to play as the Jihadist and Ben as the US. I was thinking I had a handle on what to do to make a good showing. Boy, was I wrong. This expansion can really weaken the Jihadist pretty quickly if the cards come out correctly. I knew I was in trouble from the first hand because I had to play Fracking which lowered my funding by 2 each turn instead of 1 and I just couldn't get anything long term rolling. I did have a lot of fun with some of the events I got to play but in the end, Ben was able to get an instant win by getting 13 good resources.

The expansion is absolutely wonderful. The additions of civil war and awakening/reaction markers truly added to the game. It also made use of more of the board. Both Ben I agreed that there were truly some evil cards and the fact that you had to play some of the most devastating cards against really made some hard decisions. I truly would recommend getting the expansion it adds so much depth to an already wonderful game.

Ben and I plan on playing the campaign game where you complete the base deck and move on to the expansion deck. Our games have been going 2:30+ so we will probably spread it out between 2 sittings, but I cannot wait to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks Tony and Ben for the post and the picture of the map at the end. Yes, your game outcome is about as good as it can get for the US player! I appreciated your comment about their being greater variety of board action in the Awakening expansion. Related to this, originally we had the sub-Saharan Jihadist activity represented only by event cards, and then Labyrinth designer Volko Rhunke suggested we add in Mali and Nigeria, and we ran with the idea!

I am glad you guys enjoyed the puzzle; let us know how the campaign game turns out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.