Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I usually make custom inserts for games I really like, but this one was a bit of a beast. There are so many things in there of so many different shapes and sizes and so many of them just don't fit with the other things in there. This one was quite tricky. Here's what I came up with:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: I made an insert for this (now I need to lie down)
So you're saying you had to learn how to fit things of DIFFERENT SHAPES AND SIZES into LIMITED SPACE?

Looks like you'll be good at the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lange
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:
So I usually make custom inserts for games I really like, but this one was a bit of a beast. There are so many things in there of so many different shapes and sizes and so many of them just don't fit with the other things in there. This one was quite tricky. Here's what I came up with:

Very nice work. Any chance you would share the dimensions and space sizes so others can duplicate your efforts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelangelo wrote:
Very nice work. Any chance you would share the dimensions and space sizes so others can duplicate your efforts?

I don't actually measure anything when I make inserts except for the height of the tray(s). That's super important in this game, because it's a very tight squeeze vertically. Also the thickness of the foam board can be quite variable, and would knock everything out a tad.

The height of the first layer I made - with the exploration boards, mountain strips, ship supply board and extension tiles for the action board (underneath the shed stack - because there are an odd number of shed and house tiles) is 19mm.

The height of the second layer - with the stone, ore, wood, player meeples, silver, dice, moose, thing penalty tokens, occupation cards and special tiles for the oval board is 29mm.

The only thing I couldn't include in the box was the almanac. I would have liked to have shaved a couple of millimetres off the height of the second tray in order to accommodate the almanac but then all the ship tiles wouldn't fit like they do. But you don't need the almanac to play the game so that wasn't a big deal to me.

Hope this is of some help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Macchiavello
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mb
Rumplesink wrote:

Great job!!..how do I buy one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't live with those baggies in there, and it's a pain putting all the silver back in them after a game, so I decided to modify the second insert to include separate sections for the different denominations of silver, the special tiles and the dice. (And edited the original image). I'm done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Macchiavello
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mb
Rumplesink wrote:
I couldn't live with those baggies in there, and it's a pain putting all the silver back in them after a game, so I decided to modify the second insert to include separate sections for the different denominations of silver, the special tiles and the dice. (And edited the original image). I'm done.

Hi, are you cards sleeved? If not. Do you think there is space to sleeve them in the way you place them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
back_spacer wrote:
Hi, are you cards sleeved? If not. Do you think there is space to sleeve them in the way you place them?

The cards are not sleeved. Sleeved cards would definitely not fit in this insert because of the extra height. There are a lot of cards in each deck and in my experience sleeves approximately double the height of any card stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here angling for ideas for my own. This is great!

I'm working on one, and I'm thrilled with my start because I got rid of the trays...

They work great, and are as good an addition to a game as many modern games get - but I'm as concerned with reducing the footprint on the table as I am organizing it in the box - and those things seem to take up acres on the table!

Here's where I am so far

But I love the clean lines you've come up with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! You should have plenty of space left in the box now. Those tiles are really fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - but - not thrilled with the container for the smallest pieces. I mean, it fits, but they're so small and getting at them with my sausage fingers meant I needed a big notch to reach them, so they're not as secure ast they could be...

Thinking about switching it up and going back to the provided trays. Not sure yet. I'm always taken by how when these games are organized, I feel like I could fit a picnic basket in the empty space.

You're right though in your opening post - this thing is a beast with all its variety of- and - one-off tile sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
Rumplesink wrote:

I copied your left one and used it as a starting point for making my own insert!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/115468/item/5035284#item50...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I see you made new trays for the goods tiles. That will definitely help with the space. I may make a couple of trays for them too one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.