Hide
4 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Tutorial through Mission 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trev C
msg tools
Hi there! So I felt the hype, and bought this game. I play with my younger brother (11), and I've been into boardgames for a couple of years now. I also played LoL prior, so this seemed too interesting to pass on.

I was mainly looking for something fun that the two of us can play together, since we typically don't have other people to play with us. We love Marvel Legendary and Zombicide as 2-player, so after Superheroes and Zombie-slaying, Mechs & Yordles felt like a great new theme for my game collection.

Unboxing and Set-up - The components are very nice and the presentation was stunning. We were both impressed with how the rulebooks and pieces made everything feel immersive. Even better, that we got to dive right in without having to read through an entire manual.

Tutorial - I enjoyed the overview video, but didn't use it to teach, we kind of learned just by doing. For a few turns we weren't able to get anywhere, and were just turning and missing attacks. The game seemed off, until I realized we weren't pulling any movement cards! When they finally came out, we picked up a couple and took out the shards easily. We used Ziggs (Me) and Heimerdinger (bro).

Mission 1 - We kind of just ham-handed our way through it to put the bomb on the repair pad. We didn't get the chance to build much because I was able to get in for the tow and then place it with ease. It was nice to get introduced to schematics, but they did not really come into play for us this time. We used Tristana (Me) and Corki (bro).

Mission 2 - Oh mama, mission 2. After set-up, I quickly realized the disadvantage of two players. That being said, this is where I felt we truly learned how to play the game, and what makes it more fun than just playing with minis. Our first attempt was a success, but after a rules-clarification I found out we played the fuel tank very, very wrong. Instead of using it as a one-time explosion that you discard in place of taking damage, we used it every turn to blow stuff up without a discard. As you may assume, this made it very overpowered. We also forgot to escalate, so we had to replay it the right way.

Mission 2, Take 2 - We failed after a few turns. My brother went for the crystals while I tried to manage the base. It went badly. I was beginning to lose hope... then came...

Mission 2, Take 3: The brothers strike back! Yeah, that sounds about how it went. Instead of dashing for crystals, we stayed back and built our command lines while defending. This gave us the time and space to really plan our strategy. It felt a little grindy, but we stayed back defending and drafting, and sorting and re-sorting pretty much until we hit overddrive and felt confident with our command lines. At this point I, playing Corki, was swinging around my death hammer that is a level 3 flamespitter, spinning and shooting ripsaws and aimbots with glee, and flying around in my Ace Machine. My brother, playing Tristana, made some great attack plays until he finally made the grab at the first crystal. We escalated, and we were ready. We had a few hiccups, where we ran into walls and ate some damage, but it was all super manageable. Then I played a kamikaze right into a horde of minions that spawned with my fuel tank, now being used the proper way, and it felt so much more epic and meaningful when I blew them all up. We made the play for the last two crystals, and it was then that I was able to reorganize my command line with a discard, before finally following up with Corki's 2nd schematic, pulling a speed out of the deck to let me fly in for the win! We felt like the battle was hard won, and were very satisfied. Not a single minion reached the school.

Now this leaves us on Mission 3, "Tiny Evil". With our newfound knowledge and experience, we're both very much looking forward to taking it on. And the new schematics, of course!

Obviously so far we are loving the game. My favorite part is the schematics, I can't wait to have them all. My little brother loves the pieces, especially Ziggs, because he looks so crazy. The presentation and artwork has been very fun so far, and at some point we will do more to incorporate radio play. For the time being though, we barely have enough room to get it all on the table, there's a lot to put out. But, having played Marvel Legendary and Zombicide so much, we are not strangers to long set-ups and take-downs. I would argue this game is the best of the three, I especially like how all the different minions can fit into any mold, just in a different way. It makes take-down much easier.

I've never written a session report before, and I'm really looking forward to writing more about what we play in this game as it happens. Thanks for reading!

- Trevor7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Anderson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this with my younger sister as well, and will have to return after losing to Mission 2 twice. Great to see other siblings enjoying the game! Good luck on mission three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job! I'm looking forward to hearing how you two do against Mission 3. Keep us posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same experience here with mission 2. With 2 players, you really need to build up your mech and clear out minions before going for the crystals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.