BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fairly new to Board Gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
So here is a little background. I am one of those guys that never dreamt there was such a vasy variety of board games beyond snakes & ladders & Monopoly. I basically grew up playing those 2 games.

Then 2 years ago I met my gf and we bought Dominion & Ascension. Ascension got only 9 plays in 2 years. But Dominion is a different kind of beast
. We loved it. As of now we have played 133 games of Dominion and we love every second of it. And that amount of games with just the base game and Intrigue expansion!

We plan to buy more expansions for Dominion and we will someday complete the Dominion collection, but I was thinking of introducing 2 games to our library just to add a little variety. I was thinking something else than a deck builder. Something that plays best with 2 players (we are always 2 players) and is more strategy based rather than luck based.

I was thinking Lords of Waterdeep. If you could recommend me 2 games, which would you recommend me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I play a lot of two player games. There are many good ones out there! Do you have a desired playing time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Are you seriously from Malta? Just go to Rahdo's house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse and Samurai Spirit.

The learning curve for Sentinels is a bit steep as all of the cards are pretty text dependent. For 2 people, each will be play 3 roles, 2 heroes and either the villain or the environment. The variety is vast, which is why I think you'd appreciate that one.

It's a deck management game-- not a deck builder. Theme is superheros. Cooperative. Hours of fun and a ton of game in a box.

Samurai Spirit is deceptively simple, thematic and cooperative and I love it and want everyone else to love it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 2 player games of Lords of Waterdeep quite frequently and it works quite well!

Other games that I'd recommend:
Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel
Carcassonne* also scales up to 3 or 4 well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:

This

There is this guy named Richard, goes by Rhado and has a youtube channel where he reviews and does playthroughs of boardgames, focusing on the ones that play well with 2 players.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rahdo

And he lives in Gozo, I'm not telling you to go stalk him (wink, wink), but his channel can be a great resource to know more games if you don't have a gaming community near, and he's known to be welcoming and very friendly towards boardgaming visitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Marie
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm also fairly new to modern board games. While I've always been particularly fond of board games, getting others to play with me has always been a fairly difficult task. Lots of bribery and begging. Luckily, Kickstarter (and finding rahdo's gaming runthroughs) has opened some new doors into discovering much more interesting games.

In the past few months I've been obsessing over them, hubby and I found these to be our favorites. We always play strictly two players.

Dice City- Hubby's favorite game. He's always asking to play, and we recently bought the two expansion packs to add new cards for more variety. There's a bit of luck regarding the dice rolls, but there's a lot of strategy concerning the different victory paths that can be taken.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue- Can also be played solo if you're itching for a game and your significant other isn't in the mood. There's a family version and an 'experienced' version. The family is a good, light, gateway game. For when you want to play something, but don't want to think too hard. The experienced rules add more depth and strategy with the different abilities. Plus the addition of hot spots and hazards make the fire potentially much more dangerous, and can quickly get out of control.

Love Letter- One of my favorites. It plays quick and fast, but with lots of strategy and trying to count cards to figure out what the other player has in their hand.

The Pursuit of Happiness- I love this one so much. Highly recommend. Trying to complete the game's life goals while obtaining the most long term happiness (victory points). The goals change every game providing a new experience and needing a new strategy each time.

Food Chain Magnate- It's a bit pricey, I bought mine during a sale at funagain for only $60. But OMG. It's oh so worth it. It's a big, strategic, monster of a game. This isn't your friendly, cooperative, let's still love each other afterwards game. This is a 'oh you're about to make a killing selling your stockpile of burgers and cola to all those homes. But oh wait... Now they want beer too, which you don't have, too bad, so sad. It's competitive, and brutal, and just perfectly lovely.

Good luck on your quest! May I recommend watching Rahdo's gameplay runthroughs on his YouTube channel. He does an excellent job, and he typically plays strictly two players with his wife. My wishlist is getting quite long thanks to his enthusiasm of making every game seem great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mb
I also second '7 Wonders Duel' and 'Agamemnon'. And, another not well known game of Argonauts! It can play up to 4 but I find it best with 2 to make it feel more team building and collaborative game (it is a co-op after all). And, if you ever decide to invest in Orleans, the Invasion expansion provides a two player scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Soleia wrote:
My husband and I play a lot of two player games. There are many good ones out there! Do you have a desired playing time?

I was thinkong 30-45 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
SuperGLS wrote:

Never heard of him will surely check him pout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries Is a great light game for two or three. There are many others in the stable too, but I think this is the best standalone for two players. It may be a little too luck based as it depends on the draw of the cards. Good playing can overcome a poor draw though.

Arboretum works very well for two, and plays up to 4. It can get a bit "thinky" though.

I will second the recommendations for 7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork Both are for only two though. Patchwork has no luck at all once first player is decided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey! I'm from Malta too !

I'm like you, I never imagined there were far superior board games out there. I grow up playing Connect Four and Uno haha.

Check out this thread created by Rahdo himself:

Malta gaming resource list

Also check out some of my favorite 2 player games geeklists:

Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (68 lists!)

She's Asleep! - Games for time poor couples with infant(s)

What Couples Have Been Playing Monthly Geeklist SUBSCRIPTION THREAD

Hope I helped! Il-ġurnata t-tajba !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion got me and my wife into the hobby as well. That was about 6 and a half years ago now.

The next game that we really liked as a couple was Innovation. It is not a deck builder but is a great 2 player card game that had a ton of replay value like Dominion and has the advantage of being cheaper per game since the expansions are cheap and superfluous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy:

The Castles of Burgundy
Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft
Jaipur

My son and I enjoy:
Neuroshima Hex!
Star Realms
Kahuna

My brother and I enjoy:
7 Wonders Duel

Also look into some co-ops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite deck builder is Baseball Highlights: 2045. It's a great game made even better if you are into baseball at all.

Bruges is a game that works very well with 2 and can play more.

I also second the patchwork and arboretum recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really can't go wrong with The Castles of Burgundy, it's a classic that plays great at 2 and belongs in every gamer's collection.

Another one to think of that's great for couples is Viticulture Essential Edition. It's a superb worker placement game with one of the best themes ever in a euro game.

Lastly, I'm a huge fan of Ryan Laukat and always recommend Above and Below. Great game with solid mechanics and wonderful story telling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
nadigames93 wrote:
Hey! I'm from Malta too !

I'm like you, I never imagined there were far superior board games out there. I grow up playing Connect Four and Uno haha.

Check out this thread created by Rahdo himself:

Malta gaming resource list

Also check out some of my favorite 2 player games geeklists:

Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (68 lists!)

She's Asleep! - Games for time poor couples with infant(s)

What Couples Have Been Playing Monthly Geeklist SUBSCRIPTION THREAD

Hope I helped! Il-ġurnata t-tajba !

Hello fellow malteser Thank you for the great links ! Grazzi Il-gurnata t-tajba lilek ukoll

In the end I decided to go with the following two :

The Castles of Burgundy
Lords of Waterdeep.

Thanks guys you're a great community !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Check out Raptor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Soleia wrote:

As someone else noted, 7 Wonders Duel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.