Subject: Multiplayer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone found a way to play this with more than 2 players?

I've been wanting to get this for a long time but can't justify purchasing a strictly two player game given my group.

In reviewing the rules, I'm thinking that one could divide up responsibilities along line such as these:

Free Peoples
Player 1: dwarves
Player 2: men
Player 3: elves & eagles

Shadow
Player 4: orcs
Player 5: goblins & bats
Player 6: wargs

As with other games (axis and Allies comes to mind), not every player will have an equal role. A la Italy (in the anniversary edition of A&A), the goblin player (player 5) will have very limited options for most of the game.

I'd have players take turns using their side's action dice, and would permit passing to a team-mate.

As for event cards and the like, I'd have each team share one pool of cards to use in common.

As with 1812 and 1775, I'd allow a player to move an entire army so long as one of his units is in it.

I haven't thought this out entirely, but I think the basics are set forth above.

I realize I'd be sacrificing quite a bit by doing this (I'm not fond of playing WotR with more than 2). But I think the sacrifice would be worth it to get six folks into the action around one table.

For all those who play and love the game: does this sound at all viable as an enjoyable option? Or am I trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole here?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ps: I get that eales and bats aren't really armies per se. I just thought it would be nifty to give one particular player on each side responsibility over their placement and use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't sound like much fun to me. Too many players won't have anything to do for long stretches, and it would really complicate things (and Wargs aren't a faction). It's a game that requires each side to be very efficient with actions, and it would be seriously frustrating to have to rely on two other players (or one) that might not always have the same plan or priorities.

Maybe it wouldn't be awful with three players, dividing Dwarves & Men and Elves, but it's a two-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's going to work. The armies will be consisting of different types of units so you can't just say that each player has its own faction.

To me, the game shines because of the pure 2 player nature. It's a true duel, one on one and there can only be one winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. That's why I asked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Thanks guys. That's why I asked!

I'm in the same boat- my group is generally 3 - 6 depending on who shows. But every now and then a buddy of mine and I find time to schedule the occasional 1v1 play session. This game is worth having even if you only get it the the table a few times. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.