United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I loves me some Slaughterball. I was a Dreadball guy but my best friend is not a gamer and he had two issues with it: One, movement was weird and he couldn't wrap his head around it. Two, he just wants to crush me into the ground and the game didn't allow for points for that, all I had to do was score one goal and I won the game as he reduced my team to smears on the court. Then into our lives came Slaughterball, a crunchy beacon of future sports goodness where the rules are simple to learn and the big hits score you big points. He was sold. I had my shift moved to third shift for awhile and we just stopped having time to play but now I am back on my beloved second shift and time we have. So play we will.

We played two games, both in skirmish learning mode because we havent played in awhile and the cards add a layer of complexity that he wasn't ready for yet. He is not a gamer but he likes to roll dice and hit stuff so this is one of two games he likes actively. On to the highlights.

I let him use the normal team roster, so he had two butchers and I had three razors. Without foul cards I thought I was going to get hosed, like literally they would be hosing my guys off the arena floor and we played on the new Carnage board(which is gorgeous and thematic).

1: He runs at me with his butcher and tries to knock my butcher down, he rolls 9 knives and is really happy then looks at my dice, also nine. We all fall down. These two butchers kept knocking each other down and getting back up all game. Basically he sacrificed a hitter to keep my one hitter tied up. It worked.

1.5: We had a run of ties with hitting and defending, like four in a row where both of us ended up down, weird streak.

2: I had two razors near a goal and for two turns tried three different four point shots, 6, 7 and 5 knives to pick up, 3 knives each time to throw. I need some new dudes, also the new dice are really nice.

3: First game started badly for me, he rolled right in my starting area to launch but an 8 for distance and managed to roll it back to himself. He managed to open the door, keep control of the ball and score the first goal second turn.

4: Ran at a Razor from behind with my Cleaver, rolled poorly, bounced off and landed on my butt.

5: Without the cards no one got thrown down on spikes, we were very careful to avoid stopping on them. The cards add a ton to the game and I am hoping that he gets comfortable enough again to bring them back in. I told him with team rules he could have three big smashy guys eventually. That may have worked, we will see.

[edit - changed "fake sport" to "future sport"]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tell him that in Exhibition mode that both his Carnage butchers and slashers get to count "stars" as "knives". That in itself should be incentive enough, although I find that throwing eight dice at downed opponents via a dirty stomp is even more satisfying! Just don't tell him that your SOD razors will also be counting stars on goals thanks to their star thrower ability.

My gaming group will also be trying out the Dungeon of team Carnage this weekend. ALL THOSE SPIKES! So much brutal fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I told him those things as well. He just gets caught up in his head with too many options, my dad does the same thing. I have to ease them into things slowly but consistently so they remember. I did let him have two butchers and me three razors so I would be extra crunchy.

That arena is great, I just got my plastic tokens primed and one side will be the nice shiny goal doors and the other side will be mucked up rusted and blood spattered for that arena. I have an oily blend of shades I made for the IG-88 figure in Imperial assault that will look great over some Ryza Rust and Typhus Corrosion then spattered with Blood For The Blood Gods. I see Carnage dungeon getting a lot of play.

[edit to add: I have one Slaughterball painted up nice and shiny, we start with that one, once he chops my guy with it or spikes me with it we switch to ball two which is dabbled with blood. Adds immersion for me.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dorsett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
I have one Slaughterball painted up nice and shiny, we start with that one, once he chops my guy with it or spikes me with it we switch to ball two which is dabbled with blood.

Great idea!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Bloody and clean. The right ball for any occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.