Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a democracy, is it fair to say the majority of the population should be judged against the person they elect? So is it fair to judge the USA buy the president they elect?

Thinking back, there was a time where the world judged most Germans by Hitler.. Possibly a little unfair. But they did elect him before he effectively became a dictator.

I wonder if this is a nationally universal thing and how will the world see the USA with Hillary or Donald as head honcho?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
When they're NON-Germans 'misbehaving' SUCH as Hitler, then any"quacking" won't allow them too 'duck' thus distinctions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
As a leading nation on this planet we have to set the exemple, and for this I hope that the orange troll does not make more than 40% nationally.
Anything more would be a disgrace for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:
In a democracy, is it fair to say the majority of the population should be judged against the person they elect? So is it fair to judge the USA buy the president they elect?

The majority of Americans will not be voting either way. So if you are going to judge Americans by who they elect, just remember that most people will be voting for nobody instead of for Hillary or Trump. So judge us by that. Instead of the apathy this is normally chalked up to, try to see it as a burst of judgment. Let that be the reflection the world takes on us, that no matter who wins or who loses, most of the people here voted for neither of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: How the world will see the USA. "uber alles".
wow While F-I-V-E-! and the Libertarians were: "right OUT!" robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
The majority of Americans will not be voting either way.

The majority of the voting age population will be. There have only been a handful of elections historically that have dropped below half the VAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
antiussentiment wrote:

Thinking back, there was a time where the world judged most Germans by Hitler.. Possibly a little unfair. But they did elect him before he effectively became a dictator.

I wonder if this is a nationally universal thing and how will the world see the USA with Hillary or Donald as head honcho?

Well... just as a trivial example...

Say trump is elected.

And he royally fucks it up so the u.s. is put in a position where a nuclear war is inevitable. And he decides to use them.

It won't matter who voted for him- we'll all be dying.

With trump, that's a non-zero chance with more than one path to reach that destination. Say what you will about Clinton, she's not potentially leading us into a nuclear war.

So vote or not, we'll be judged or killed or suffer the same.

There are so many other reasons to vote against him but this is the most chilling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think even Trump is likely to start a nuclear war.

But if I were in the government of, say, Latvia, I would regard Trump as a clear and present danger to the existence of my country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

But if I were in the government of, say, Latvia, I would regard Trump as a clear and present danger to the existence of my country.

Likely- no.

But he has a very cavalier attitude about nuclear weapons, a thin skin, a huge ego, many narcissistic traits (so "after me the deluge" comes naturally to him, and world class pride combined with overconfidence. He's massively ignorant about the dangers of many of the things he's said even during the campaign.

So it's possible. Russia or China could start something because they think he's an idiot and they've out maneuvered him and then he just says "fuck it" because if you've got nukes you might as well use them otherwise what's the point of having them?

---
Anyway- if american elects an ignorant overconfident idiot, we will suffer collectively in many ways on many levels.

And that's not even beginning to consider that republicans have gone completely whack job and are ready to toss out about 240 years of successful government so they can win this particular round right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

We can hope Obama "forgets" to hand over the nuclear codes whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"How the world will see the USA"

The jury came back on that one a long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

The majority of Americans will not be voting either way. So if you are going to judge Americans by who they elect, just remember that most people will be voting for nobody instead of for Hillary or Trump. So judge us by that. Instead of the apathy this is normally chalked up to, try to see it as a burst of judgment. Let that be the reflection the world takes on us, that no matter who wins or who loses, most of the people here voted for neither of them.

So try voting for another? Are they all crap? Okay, they are all crap but I would choose for STEIN just to try and inject some sense for the need for change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

Wrong. I intend to vote for ALL THE THINGS and I am not the least bit embarrassed by it. It's too bad your side hitched their wagon to a political novice, but since the GOP has been designing their policies to appeal to stupid people, it was bound to happen sooner or later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

Then the world can judge Americans as a bunch of lazy, non-engaged citizens. Not voting is not a choice if you have the ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

So try voting for another? Are they all crap? Okay, they are all crap but I would choose for STEIN just to try and inject some sense for the need for change.

It's a weak excuse not to vote - one has the choice to always write-in whomever they wish. For an "educated" populace, it is by far the least admirable quality of H'Americans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

The majority of Americans will not be voting either way. So if you are going to judge Americans by who they elect, just remember that most people will be voting for nobody instead of for Hillary or Trump. So judge us by that. Instead of the apathy this is normally chalked up to, try to see it as a burst of judgment.

That would only be true if there is a noticeable drop in voter turn out. If it's the same or increases, your notion goes out the window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hammurabi70 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
antiussentiment wrote:

I am on the Gary Johnson bandwagon this year.

But four years ago, he was my second choice in the GOP primaries. I was totally in the tank for Jon Huntsman Jr. But you will notice that with both of these, they represent the non-psychotic wing of the Republican Party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
How could anyone expect to have a productive conversation on this topic with someone who adopts the internet handle "antiussentiment"?

Every post of yours comes with the well pre-poisoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
gulp Well, quit "drawing" FROM the 'Outhouse' with LESS 'poisonous spewings'/'spleen outbursts' accordingly. coal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
How could anyone expect to have a productive conversation on this topic with someone who adopts the internet handle "antiussentiment"?

Every post of yours comes with the well pre-poisoned.

Awwwww... somebody is offended by a name. You need a safe space where you'll be cuddled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.