Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So finally got to play this tonight, kicked some ass as Dracula, but ran into a question.

After dicking around in England for a bit I hung out at sea for a few turns and worked my way east. Ended up in Zagreb, used Wolf form to go to Valona.

So then somebody plays evil presence and I double check my card and realize I'd played Varna instead. I mentioned that I git the cards mixed up and the hunters were cool with letting me swap it out for the correct card because it's our first game and it just happened, but I was wondering, if we'd gone with the error penalty, when I reveal my current location, would I play Valona as the location I was supposed to be in, or do I just warp to Varna and flip that face up as my new current location? I'd assume the latter, but wasn't sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules Reference just says (on page 7 under 'Dracula Errors'):
"1. Dracula reveals his current location.
2. Dracula clears all hideouts on the trail, leaving his current location on the first space of the trail if it was not already there.
3. Dracula suffers 5 damage."
I would personally interpret that as meaning Valona in your case as that is where Dracula has physically moved to. I say this as point 2 clears the trail, as you would need to if you had made an error a few cards back and moved several places since. It's the current location that is important, not where the mistake pointed to.

Hope that makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dapperghast wrote:
So finally got to play this tonight, kicked some ass as Dracula, but ran into a question.

After dicking around in England for a bit I hung out at sea for a few turns and worked my way east. Ended up in Zagreb, used Wolf form to go to Valona.

So then somebody plays evil presence and I double check my card and realize I'd played Varna instead. I mentioned that I git the cards mixed up and the hunters were cool with letting me swap it out for the correct card because it's our first game and it just happened, but I was wondering, if we'd gone with the error penalty, when I reveal my current location, would I play Valona as the location I was supposed to be in, or do I just warp to Varna and flip that face up as my new current location? I'd assume the latter, but wasn't sure.

According to the reference guide

Quote:
The leftmost location card on the trail is Dracula’s current
location. This is typically the hideout on the first space of the
trail. The “Hide,” “Dark Call,” and “Feed” power cards are
ignored when determining Dracula’s current location.

The error rules require that you clear the trail leaving Dracula's current location.

You played Varna so that is the leftmost location card (that was your error), so that is where you are after the penalty. I believe it has to be this way as that is the only location that there is evidence for, otherwise Dracula could say he had meant to be anywhere a wolf form distance from Zagreb, choosing that which was most advantageous.

I am not of course suggesting that the OP would do anything so underhand on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dave. Your current location is Varna. You couldn't have gone there legally, which is why you pay the penalty, but you still did put it down as your current location. Retconning that isn't really within the scope of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that's the what the rules say, but in support of the o.p. I'll say that in a friendly game with people you trust I would have done what they did and let Drac correct the error since it obviously was just a mixup of "V" place names.

The error rule seems imperfect as it could potentially let Dracula "teleport" at the cost of 5 blood. But of course, if you are playing with someone who would knowingly abuse the rules / cheat then that is your bigger problem. Obviously using the error rule that way is not in the spirit of the rules. I think it's mostly just for honest mistakes that are irreversible, or if Dracula gets cornered by his own trail and consecrated ground/heavenly hosts without powers which would let him escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
You played Varna so that is the leftmost location card (that was your error), so that is where you are after the penalty. I believe it has to be this way as that is the only location that there is evidence for...
You are, of course, technically correct. But this does raise the question. Suppose Dracula is cornered in England. He puts Castle Dracula on the first location slot, announces the "error", takes the penalty, then regains the life (because he is now on Castle Dracula). Are you saying that this is a legal move, as long as the "error" penalty is paid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
DaveD wrote:
You played Varna so that is the leftmost location card (that was your error), so that is where you are after the penalty. I believe it has to be this way as that is the only location that there is evidence for...
You are, of course, technically correct. But this does raise the question. Suppose Dracula is cornered in England. He puts Castle Dracula on the first location slot, announces the "error", takes the penalty, then regains the life (because he is now on Castle Dracula). Are you saying that this is a legal move, as long as the "error" penalty is paid?

That would be outright cheating, not an error. If someone is playing like that, the group has much larger problems, as this person would likely have been cheating the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
DaveD wrote:

I don't think it would work quite that way. The Dracula player wouldn't announce the error. In fact, they couldn't, without being seen to be directly cheating, as COMaestro says. So, everyone would see they've just "reached" Castle Dracula, they'd regain five of their life points, if they'd lost them, that is, and then later on, when the "error" was discovered, they'd suffer the penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
DaveD wrote:

I'm not saying that that is a legal move, it is clearly not, the whole point of the Error rule is to penalise Dracula for making an inadvertent illegal move. Unfortunately there are situations where the penalty is not adequate to make up for the error and in those situations my personal view would be that Dracula forfeits the game.

As Chris said the situation you describe is blatant cheating and I would not be playing any further games with that player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with George that in this particular case, it was just a mix up of V locations -- there was no practical difference if he had used either of the V locations. In most cases, this would have gone completely unnoticed and fallen off the trail with no consequences.

So I think that just switching out the V cards is sufficient in this case. Just an "Oops, that card isn't supposed to be there, this one is," would have been fine and make no difference to game play.

I think that the penalty is supposed to be for those cases where the Dracula player mistakenly thought that his move was legal, but it wasn't. Like, "Oh man, I thought those two cities were connected! Oops."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
randomlife wrote:
I agree with George that in this particular case, it was just a mix up of V locations -- there was no practical difference if he had used either of the V locations. In most cases, this would have gone completely unnoticed and fallen off the trail with no consequences.

So I think that just switching out the V cards is sufficient in this case. Just an "Oops, that card isn't supposed to be there, this one is," would have been fine and make no difference to game play.

I think that the penalty is supposed to be for those cases where the Dracula player mistakenly thought that his move was legal, but it wasn't. Like, "Oh man, I thought those two cities were connected! Oops."

I agree as well. In this case, play could conceivably have continued until Varna card slid off the edge before anyone could know, and even then only Dracula would know. But since he thought it was the Valona card the entire time, it wouldn't have affected game play.

The alternative would be that someone moves to Valona and asks if Dracula has been there - to which he replies 'Yes!' and flips over the Varna card. Hmmm... well still nothing has been affected. If anything this already helps the Hunters because they can eliminate Varna from all the other location possibilities.

The point is, Dracula played the wrong card but everything else (like the next location) was legal and didn't affect play. The real problem arise if Dracula plays an illegal card but knows which card he played and then plays from that illegal location thinking it was legal. In that case the Hunters could not possibly deduce where he is, which is unfair and could ruin the game. Hence the harsh penalty to force Dracula to be as careful as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.