Hide
22 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: How does this game compare to 7 wonders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Wong
msg tools
Sounds kinda alike? I have 7 wonders is it worth getting this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
limitedmoon wrote:
Sounds kinda alike? I have 7 wonders is it worth getting this?

It's like comparing Desperate Housewives to Game of Thrones :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are quite different.
7wonder is a short drafting game with a light civilization theme.

Through the ages is a huge long heavy game. Ot has lots of interesting mechanisms and cool card combo. It is definitely a huge step up complexity wise from 7 wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is similar, but they have nothing else in common, in fact, they are quite on the opposite end of the spectrum regarding all other aspects I can think of.

Try it before You buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple. It does not. It is a whole different ball park. DO NOT assume that if you like 7 Wonders, you will like TtA!

The only thing that is remotely alike is that you build wonders in stages and that you have common access to (some) cards. Apart from that, TtA is vastly more complex and also plays way longer.

Look at some reviews and let's play videos, go to Boardgaming Online to test TtA for yourself (and think about all the management the site makes for you that you will have to do yourself in the cardboard version), and then decide.

It is like comparing elementary school math to university math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One definitely doesn't replace the other as 7 Wonders is a 30-45 min game while TtA takes the whole evening. Other than that they have quite a few similarities so if you like 7 Wonders and think you can handle the extra complexity then you are likely to like TtA, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fielmann wrote:
Other than that they have quite a few similarities

I fail to see which.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

I fail to see which.
- civ theme
- card drafting
- tableau building
- cards are divided into ages, have categories and building costs
- unique wonders that are constructed in stages
- combat is mapless, based on comparing military strength
- winner is decided by points, those come from many sources
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fielmann wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

I fail to see which.
- civ theme
- card drafting
- tableau building

Sure, the civ theme implies a few things, like ages and wonders.

TTA has no drafting as such but a card market. Combat is most often in games about comparing strength. And points, well, you know that.

Tableau-building would be the one I'd agree with you.

But more importantly, to answer OP's hidden question, I'm not sure he'd enjoy TTA because he likes 7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Morgret
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dagar mentioned that they both had wonders built in stages, if that counts then surely the fact that the wonders give unique boosts does, as does the fact that they both handle the military component with strength points. But yes, I would stress that while the military comparison is handled exactly the same way, the penalties for military defeat are much worst in Through the Ages, so bad that you can get beaten down into an unrecoverable position by mid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

I fail to see which.
- civ theme
- card drafting
- tableau building

TTA has no drafting as such but a card market. Combat is most often in games about comparing strength. And points, well, you know that.

But more importantly, to answer OP's hidden question, I'm not sure he'd enjoy TTA because he likes 7 Wonders.

But all those ways he listed are indeed similarities between the two games. So because other games have end-game point scoring these two games that feature end-game point scoring can't be considered similar? That logic is whack, bro. Also, most combat that occurs in civ-like games occurs on a map and most combat in games is done with dice or one-time use cards for temporary strength. So that is a solid similarity between the two games.

The purchasing of cards in TtA IS drafting. It's drafting through purchase.

To add one more:
- Both games feature leaders that help dictate the strategies you'll use and each game sees a variety of new leaders come out with each new age (Leader expansion)

I get that you dislike 7 Wonders and love Through the Ages, but it's okay if people compare the two games. It doesn't hurt TtA. I promise. The game will survive after the comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
broken clock wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

I fail to see which.
- civ theme
- card drafting
- tableau building

But all those ways he listed are indeed similarities between the two games. So because other games have end-game point scoring these two games that feature end-game point scoring can't be considered similar? That logic is whack, bro. Also, most combat that occurs in civ-like games occurs on a map and most combat in games is done with dice or one-time use cards for temporary strength. So that is a solid similarity between the two games.

To add one more:
- Both games feature leaders that help dictate the strategies you'll use and each game sees a variety of new leaders come out with each new age (Leader expansion)

I get that you dislike 7 Wonders and love Through the Ages, but it's okay if people compare the two games. It doesn't hurt TtA. I promise. The game will survive after the comparison.

Honestly saying that two games are similar because in both you win victory points is laughable, come on.

By that logic, you forgot to say that they both have no board, no figs, no dice, no app, are both competitive and the list can go on.

And this has nothing to do with my disliking of 7w but more with the fear that saying to the OP "yeah they are similar, go ahead" is not a good advice.

Quote:

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Fielmann wrote:

I fail to see which.
- civ theme
- card drafting
- tableau building

But all those ways he listed are indeed similarities between the two games. So because other games have end-game point scoring these two games that feature end-game point scoring can't be considered similar? That logic is whack, bro.

"Whack" is saying two games which share end game scoring are similar in any meaningful way which would indicate how liking one may transfer to liking the other, and you know that.

Quote:
Also, most combat that occurs in civ-like games occurs on a map and most combat in games is done with dice or one-time use cards for temporary strength. So that is a solid similarity between the two games.

Just because both games generate strength through cards rather than dudes on a map is, again, so broad a similarity as to be totally meaningless. All the other mechanics surrounding these systems are completely different between the two games.

Quote:

Now you're just arguing semantics. Even if various definitions of "drafting" allow both games to be catagorized that way, you well know the method of acquiring cards between the two is VASTLY different.

Quote:
To add one more:

No, it doesn't hurt TtA. But it might hurt someone who goes out and buys it based on posts like yours. This thread isn't trying to have an academic dissection of the differences and similarities between the two. It's a practical discussion of whether liking one implies a strong possibility of liking the other.

The answer is simple. Liking 7 Wonders doesn't mean you'll automatically like TtA. You might indeed end up liking TtA, but that will be totally unrelated from liking 7W.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
grant5 wrote:

"Whack" is saying two games which share end game scoring are similar in any meaningful way which would indicate how liking one may transfer to liking the other, and you know that.

Bad logic. If two games feature a similar mechanic, than those two games can be said to be similar in that regard. Nobody said they are the same game. The list was meant to show similarities between the two games and it did just that. Bob and John are both bald. They are completely different people and baldness is certainly common, but their baldness is a similarity. Simple.

grant5 wrote:

Just because both games generate strength through cards rather than dudes on a map is, again, so broad a similarity as to be totally meaningless. All the other mechanics surrounding these systems are completely different between the two games.

No. It is not broad for civilization style games. Most civilization style games involve a map and they involve temporary card play or dice rolling to determine combat.

grant5 wrote:

Now you're just arguing semantics. Even if various definitions of "drafting" allow both games to be catagorized that way, you well know the method of acquiring cards between the two is VASTLY different.

Nope. I'm arguing using the definition of card drafting as determined by BGG:

Card drafting: Card drafting games are games where players pick cards from a limited subset, such as a common pool, to gain some advantage (immediate or longterm) or to assemble hands of cards that are used to meet objectives within the game. Ticket to Ride is a well-known card drafting game.
- both games feature a limited supply of card from a larger deck and both games feature cards that vary from game to game
- the pool of cards is common
- cards are drafted to gain some advantage (immediate or longterm)
- both are used to assemble hands of cards that are used to meet objectives within the game. This is the only difference, since one puts the card straight to the table, while the other puts the cards to your hand.

The method of acquiring cards is simply that one game features buying the chosen card, while the other is simply taking. Both have the same result. You get the card to put into your tableau to help with your strategy and prevent others from that card that they may have been able to draft themselves.

Now, I think it's totally awesome that you may have your own special definition of card drafting, but you have to understand that most people are going to go with a commonly accepted definition.

grant5 wrote:

No, it doesn't hurt TtA. But it might hurt someone who goes out and buys it based on posts like yours. This thread isn't trying to have an academic dissection of the differences and similarities between the two. It's a practical discussion of whether liking one implies a strong possibility of liking the other.

The answer is simple. Liking 7 Wonders doesn't mean you'll automatically like TtA. You might indeed end up liking TtA, but that will be totally unrelated from liking 7W.

Nope. It doesn't hurt anyone comparing the two games. Nobody is saying that if you like 7 Wonders you will automatically like TtA. Don't be silly. Everyone here has already made it very clear that the two games are very different; however, it's nice to find common ground between two games if people are considering the two. If there are very specific things they like about one game and another game shares those things and they don't mind (or maybe even prefer) the differences beyond those similarities, it can be immensely beneficial to compare.

Congratulations, guys, you've done what everyone here has already done: You've established that the two games are different. It's going to sound mean and it's going to hurt you a little but . . . the board game you love is not special. It borrows from other games. It shares common ground with other games. That doesn't make it less great. It's okay to compare games and find similarities. Deep breath, friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
broken clock wrote:

It's going to sound mean and it's going to hurt you a little but . . . the board game you love is not special. It borrows from other games. It shares common ground with other games. That doesn't make it less great. It's okay to compare games and find similarities. Deep breath, friends.

Nobody cares about that but you seem very happy to repeat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
And just to put this uninteresting conversation in its context:

Quote:
Other than that they have quite a few similarities so if you like 7 Wonders and think you can handle the extra complexity then you are likely to like TtA, too.

That's what it was about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, clocks. It's funny how you keep ending your arguments with a whole paragraph trying to personalize this. Yes, everyone who doesn't think there are any meaningful similarities is doing so because we're TtA fanboys and 7W haters. We're all just as petty as you.

In reality, we're just trying to give this guy sound advice. There are superficial similarities between the two, sure, you win that point. But NOTHING is similar enough to say liking one means you'd like the other, and that is what this thread is about. To suggest otherwise is to be completely disingenuous or intentionally obtuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
tilouboy wrote:

See my first post? It's replying to this post. I'm showing you how that's an incorrect statement.

All of the points you disagree with are actually true.

The person's statement about liking the two games could be true, since he didn't really go into detail and define what "extra complexity" means. The games share some common ground.

grant5 wrote:
Oh, clocks. It's funny how you keep ending your arguments with a whole paragraph trying to personalize this. Yes, everyone who doesn't think there are any meaningful similarities is doing so because we're TtA fanboys and 7W haters. We're all just as petty as you.

In reality, we're just trying to give this guy sound advice. There are superficial similarities between the two, sure, you win that point. But NOTHING is similar enough to say liking one means you'd like the other, and that is what this thread is about. To suggest otherwise is to be completely disingenuous or intentionally obtuse.

Just trying to avoid people saying things that are untrue. I don't understand the purpose of denying similarities when they are there. Finding common ground is an excellent strategy when debating the next game purchase.

If you have a problem with Board Game Geek listing "card drafting" as one of the primary mechanics of TtA, that's cool, man. Send 'em a nasty letter and set them straight!

True statement: 7 Wonders shares some a similar theme and some similar mechanics with Through the Ages. If you like 7 Wonders, specifically the listed similarities, and you're accepting of the added complexity and differences between the two, there is a chance you may like Through the Ages. Seems like helpful advice, to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Clock, I took a look at your comment for 7W. And what did you find most striking? That it was "quick" and "simple". You didn't say "So cool you win points" or "Wow it has no map" or "Man it has cards, these are the best games".

See what Grant means by meaningful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
tilouboy wrote:

See my first post? It's replying to this post. I'm showing you how that's an incorrect statement.

All of the points you disagree with are actually true.

The person's statement about liking the two games could be true, since he didn't really go into detail and define what "extra complexity" means. The games share some common ground.

grant5 wrote:

Just trying to avoid people saying things that are untrue. I don't understand the purpose of denying similarities when they are there. Finding common ground is an excellent strategy when debating the next game purchase.

Then you should probably discuss the common ground they share mechanically, rather than superficial details and broadly overlapping terminology.

Quote:
If you have a problem with Board Game Geek listing "card drafting" as one of the primary mechanics of TtA, that's cool, man. Send 'em a nasty letter and set them straight!

I feel like you're having a really hard time grasping the concept that, while two systems of obtaining cards can fall under the umbrella of the term "drafting", they are still so vastly different as to be completely unrelated in any meaningful way.

Quote:
True statement: 7 Wonders shares some a similar theme and some similar mechanics with Through the Ages. If you like 7 Wonders, specifically the listed similarities, and you're accepting of the added complexity and differences between the two, there is a chance you may like Through the Ages. Seems like helpful advice, to me.

I fail to see any useful mechanical similarities outside of the broad "use cards to do things."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Actually the games are quite similar. The scope and scale and complexity being the biggest differences.

For example - both game you are building an engine, most cards you get are used for that, and they come from common pool, so in both games denying your opponents the source of material will hamper their production and ability to build new things.

So if I were to present the basics of both games in 60 seconds they would sound pretty similar in theme, atmosphere and mechanics. Of course through the ages has a lot build upon that, but I can see somebody starting with 7 wonders and then getting to through the ages. It's a bit like going from Lord of the Rings Risk to War of the Ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
It's a bit like going from Lord of the Rings Risk to War of the Ring.

Or from Alice in Wonderland to The Lord of the Rings.

I've played 7 Wonders a few times and to me it feels random--just find what others aren't doing and do that--and the game mechanics feel only loosely associated with the Civilization theme. I find little pleasure in playing it, so I probably can't give it a fair evaluation.

Through the Ages is, IMO, orders of magnitude more complex (strategy-wise) and correspondingly more satisfying. The rules are more complex than those for 7 Wonders, but they aren't that difficult: they're a lot easier than those for most hexagon-map wargames.

To address the original question: the two games are greatly different IMO, at least greatly different in the feel of playing them. If you only like games of a similar weight to 7 Wonders, then you'll probably enjoy other games better than you would enjoy Through the Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.