Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Would you recommend this if...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! I wanted to get an opinion. I love coop games, but I play with different groups of friends all the time, where I usually don't have the same group of people twice to play with. Basically, there's not a dedicated group, but more of a "hey, whoever can get together, let's get together".

Would you guys recommend this game? I'm not a huge fan of campaign-type board games or games that take a while to teach, and I've seen that it goes from scenario to scenario, building upon each other. But since I play with different people all the time, I'll usually introduce one or two people each time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You can play each mission independently. If you need help in understanding the rule of a particular mission, check Rodney's Watch It Played videos in Youtube.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that without the campaign you'd be missing about 20% of the experience. The remaining 80% is awesome enough to justify the purchase though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say you miss any experience per se just because you are not playing the campaign (I would not even call it a campaign). You do miss the cool scenarios, if you don't play them obviously, but you certainly don't need to play it as a story-driven campaign. it is absolutely fine if your friends only play certain scenarios.

However, you as the owner of the game should play each mission in succession at least once, in order to learn the rules as they come. But once you did that, you can just jump in and play any scenario you'd like.

So yes, I would recommend it to you. this is not a campaign game like Descent for instance. there is no necessity to play each mission one after the other at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late, but thanks for the input all! I just hope the learning curve and setup isn't too troublesome.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
I feel that without the campaign you'd be missing about 20% of the experience. The remaining 80% is awesome enough to justify the purchase though.


I agree. I have only played through the tutorial and mission #1. The game provides new abilities and scenarios in new missions. This makes me want to play the next mission and see what new cards I will be getting or what new challenge I will facing.

If I was to jump to a random mission, I might not have the same anticipation/enthusiasm as when I am playing through each mission sequentially.

Also, I feel playing through each mission provides a flatter learning curve as you will be learning new cards and picking up new strategies as you complete each mission. If I was thrown into the game with all the cards available and rules, I might be overloaded with information and not enjoy the game as much.

I definitely still think it's doable to play the game with different groups but when introducing people to the game, it's probably ideal to at least have them play through the tutorial and the first mission before jumping into random missions. This means you should be ready to play through the same objectives multiple times which could feel tedious and lacking as the tutorial and mission #1 are not truly 100% of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Strongly recommend playing through the campaign in order as the rules build upon previously explained systems

Could you introduce a new person to a group that's at, say, Mission 6? Sure! We had that happen a lot in playtesting, and people tended to catch on pretty quickly and have a good time.

That said, it was integrating 1 new person into a team of 3 experienced players, not 1 experienced player teaching a new group the rest of the rules, so there may be some additional challenges there.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.