A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do the income diagonals in Greenland board work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
conanioni Su
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title,

Greenland has two income diagonals. To cover a value in the upper diaggonal, does the lower value in the same column must be covered too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you must cover all spaces below an upper income space to cover it, which includes the lower income space.

The appendix clarifies this ("The placement rules to unlock the income values apply to each income diagonal individually."), but check the PDF version since it fixes the example image.

NOTE: Some islands have gaps to the left of income spaces. These must also be covered! See this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1659803/do-gaps-block-or-do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Yes, you must cover all spaces below an upper income space to cover it, which includes the lower income space.

The appendix clarifies this ("The placement rules to unlock the income values apply to each income diagonal individually."), but check the PDF version since it fixes the example image.
[emphasis mine]

The image in the English rulebook is incorrect, since it shows three uncovered spaces in the bottom left of Greenland. ALL spaces below, below-left, and left of the upper 0 must be covered before covering the 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Moss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't get how you can get both incomes from Greenland based on the rules for covering all spaces below and left of an income track. The picture in the PDF that GAF Blizzard says is fixed still doesn't make sense.

Does this give 1 or 2 silver? The rules state "If you
explore Greenland in the last three available rounds (3/4/5 in the
long game, 2/3/4 in the short game), you will also receive 2/4/6
silver, respectively. Greenland features two “income diagonals,”
both providing silver each round. [...] The placement rules to unlock the
income values apply to each income diagonal individually.
"

If placement rules apply individually, then you have to cover the lower +1 income space to get the higher +1 income space to work, but the almanac directly contradicts that.

This is a terribly unclear rule and someone needs to make an official ruling with a good, definitive, visual explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The 2/4/6 silver the rules say you can earn by exploring Greenland refer to the money that's put on the exploration board in some rounds before it is explored. It has nothing to do with the income diagonals.
2) The picture you show is not the corrected picture: it is the original picture. In the corrected picture, it correctly shows the three squares left of the silk and below the row of three silver covered.
3) You don't have to cover the lowest +1 income space to earn the top +1 income space: you just have to cover the lowest +1 income space if you want to cover the top income space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Moss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Please link to the corrected picture because that came from the PDF version here on BGG. Is that not the latest version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
Belgium
Gellik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's fixed in the errata and faq.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138082/errata-and-faq-1st...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Moss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I don't care about the missing tokens to the left of the silk. That's obviously a mistake. My problem was that I simply didn't understand how the top income track worked in relation to the bottom income track. The wording was confusing me and the example sucks. They really should have shown two images, one with both +1's active and uncovered, and one with an example of some of the bottom ones covered and the top ones uncovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldstench wrote:
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I don't care about the missing tokens to the left of the silk. That's obviously a mistake. My problem was that I simply didn't understand how the top income track worked in relation to the bottom income track. The wording was confusing me and the example sucks. They really should have shown two images, one with both +1's active and uncovered, and one with an example of some of the bottom ones covered and the top ones uncovered.

I think people are having trouble understanding what it is you aren't understanding. I'll do my best to explain.

1) Look at the lower diagonal.
2) The smallest uncovered number you can see is the income provided by that diagonal. In the example it's a 1.
3) Look at the upper diagonal.
4) The smallest uncovered number you can see is the income provided by that diagonal. In the example it is also a 1.
5) Add the numbers you got from steps (2) and (4)
6) The sum is the amount of income provided by Greenland

If this isn't clear, please try to explain which step is losing you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Moss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's what I wasn't getting and what others weren't getting I wasn't getting. I now get it and would like to thank every single person who helped me get it.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still do not understand. How do I make active, fir example. The 2 income in the upper diagonal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Sandy Petersen wrote:
I still do not understand. How do I make active, fir example. The 2 income in the upper diagonal?

Cover the 1-income space directly to its lower-left, which will require covering all spaces (except the mountain and pre-printed bonus good) below it and to its left, including the 1-income space in the lower diagonal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.