6 Posts

Council of Blackthorn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Master of Shadows clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brittain
msg tools
mb
The thing that is confusing me is one of the master of shadows abilities that states:

"Give away two random Treason cards on a zero."

Does that mean if another player rolls the faction dice and one or more are showing a zero he can give away 2 random treason cards or can he only use the ability when he is the Right Hand of the King and rolls the faction dice and gets a zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither. When he plays his card and the corresponding die is a zero he gives away 2 Train cards instead of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Meyer

Minnesota
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Let's talk first about the standard rules, then the Master of Shadows variant.

Typically, if a player plays a faction card and if the matching colored die to that card is a zero, that player can give away one of his or her treason cards to another player. That player chooses the targeted opponent but the card is drawn randomly. The treason card passed is chosen randomly (and kept hidden). In our gaming group, we have the player fan out his or her treason cards face down and the targeted player takes one (at random). The card taken is always hidden from other players.

Example:
David plays a Noble card (red). The Noble die (i.e. red die) is a zero when David plays his card. That means that David can pass one of his treason cards to another player (David chooses the target opponent and uses the process stated above).

The Master of Shadows uses this same process except that he can give away two cards instead of the standard one card and they can be given to different targets if he chooses.

This can be a very powerful ability so in our gaming group, we do not use the Master of Shadows in a TWO player game.

So it has nothing to do with the dice roll at the beginning of the round. It has to do with playing a card when the matching die is a zero.

I hope this explains it?

Cheers,
Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mb
Oh that's right I forgot that if the card you play is for a faction that has a zero on the dice an opponent of your choosing takes 1 random treason card. Thanks for reminding me of that rule it makes perfect sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy S.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
GreatNorthernGames wrote:
Hi David,

Let's talk first about the standard rules, then the Master of Shadows variant.

Typically, if a player plays a faction card and if the matching colored die to that card is a zero, that player can give away one of his or her treason cards to another player. That player chooses the targeted opponent but the card is drawn randomly. The treason card passed is chosen randomly (and kept hidden). In our gaming group, we have the player fan out his or her treason cards face down and the targeted player takes one (at random). The card taken is always hidden from other players.

Example:
David plays a Noble card (red). The Noble die (i.e. red die) is a zero when David plays his card. That means that David can pass one of his treason cards to another player (David chooses the target opponent and uses the process stated above).

The Master of Shadows uses this same process except that he can give away two cards instead of the standard one card and they can be given to different targets if he chooses.

This can be a very powerful ability so in our gaming group, we do not use the Master of Shadows in a TWO player game.

So it has nothing to do with the dice roll at the beginning of the round. It has to do with playing a card when the matching die is a zero.

I hope this explains it?

Cheers,
Jay

Does this trigger when activating a zero-power color matching a building in play, or only on a card player form the hand in a zero-power faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Meyer

Minnesota
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy,

I didn't see this question until today for some reason?
I'm not sure I totally understand the question fully, but I will give it a try.

The same rule applies to buildings.

Example:
When you play a yellow building (guild building) and the yellow die (the guild die) is a zero, you can target another player and give away one of your randomly chosen treason cards.

This occurs only at the moment when the building is played from your hand (i.e. that is when you place the building into play under construction). This does NOT occur at the moment when you complete construction at the beginning of your next turn.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers,
Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.