Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing this over the last week and have really enjoyed it a lot. Very immersive indeed. A couple of things happened that Inwas a little unsure about and wonder what other players think about these situations.

1) Can you count the rescued British Pilot as being an individual able to claim one of the locations for victory purposes. For example can he be used to claim control of the heights in the south east of the board or be left along or with prisoners controlling a building. Does he count as a member of the squad from the point of view of claiming a victory point location?

2) I approached the small single hex building from the south and through the trees west of the building. I eventually triggered the appearance of a German soldier in M7 and an Officer in M5 by which time I was in the building. When I entered the building it was condition 3 and there was nobody there and so I was then able to use the building as a strong point against the Germans. During later rounds of action with these very Germans an event occurred which changed everything to condition 4 and tried to locate German 53 in this building. As I am already in that building does this still occur and I just accept he was hidden and Inhad not previously noticed him or do I forget about him?

3) Another problem I had was the rules about captured Germans. The rules indicate that neither the German nor US player can fire on a hex which contains friendly units in it unless they are incapacitated, panicked or captured. It then states that the enemy can fire on these hexes at other troops in that hex but NOT the guard of any captured friendlies. Late in the game I had a single, wounded guard in charge of a wounded German prisoner. I was in building T8 and he was my only non incapacitated soldier left in the vicinity. The Germans were instructed to fire at him but due to the above rule it looks like he could not in fact be fired at. The rules state he is allowed to do his normal actions whilst being a guard which sort of means he can fire at the Germans but they can't fire at him....is this right? The Mission almost ran out of steam as I had the last German attacking me from distance and me with only this one chap popping away hoping to deal with the target German without harming himself. It almost seemed like this guarding rule allows for 'human shield' type tactics which definitely did not feel right at all. Have I got this right or have I missed something key?

Any help would be appreciated to ensure I am not going off on a tangent here!

Cheers

Andy B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy

Glad you are enjoying the game.

My thoughts:

1. I haven't got the rulebook to hand to check for an official answer, but I'll assume that you've looked there already since you are asking the question. That being the case I would be inclined to suggest that this is something that you will need to provide a ruling on for yourself. In these situations I would always try to let the theme make the decision as far as possible - in this situation I would suggest that a recently crash-landed and disoriented pilot would not be trusted to claim a key mission objective on his own.

2. If the game tries to spawn a German in a location where you already have a soldier then I would suggest that you have probably done something wrong. When you moved from Condition 3 to Condition 4, did you make a paragraph check on every US soldier before proceeding? Or were you trying to spawn a German soldier that you had already introduced?

3. Good catch. The word of the rules does suggest that the use of human shields is a viable (and rather overpowered) strategy. Again, I would defer to the theme and rule that this is not a legitimate practice. I would either not allow myself to take prisoners (if I am in the middle of a firefight for example) or I would force myself to keep prisoners (and their guards) well out of harm's way.

Hope my ramblings help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your info and I most certainly agree with where you are coming from. I like you rationale for the pilot and him both being wounded and unsure would be unlikely to be able to assist in holding the areas and reporting his sightings etc. Makes lots of sense to me.

Regarding the spawning I will have to check back on my notes but it might have been the condition change. I got into the building on condition 3 and condition 4 happened a short while later when the German Officer turned up via a random event result during rounds. In fact it may have been during the paragraph check following the condition change that spawned German 53 in the building I was already in. Will check the detail later.

Like you I felt that the prisoner thing was a very 'gamey' tactic and decided that the Germans could still fire at me in the building. Perhaps what I should have done was leave the prisoner, who would then have escaped instead which would have allowed me greater freedoms of movement and made me an eligible target at the same time.

Great game and love thinking about these strange little issues. I am on Mission 2 at the moment and all hell is breaking out!

Cheers

Andy B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.