Subject: Should optional variant #4 be removed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Sarjant
Netherlands
Wageningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Honshu for the first time last night and we used the optional variants rule, randomly drawing #4: 'Each lake square is worth 2 points instead of the normal scoring'.

The game went fine and was enjoyable, apart from this variant rule. It feels like this rule reduces the enjoyability of this game by removing one of the strategic possibilities. With this optional variant active, now the only reason to care about where your cards go would be the town, because lakes become almost identical to forests in scoring.

It just feels like this variant is not very interesting at all, and is a detrimental variant. I've removed this variant so it cannot come up in future games.

This message is kind of a warning, but perhaps also a question: did we play this variant correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind no. You're right that it might be little bit duller that way but it is still different enough to warrant that card to be in the game.

However, the last change made to the game was how the end game cards were played. Until that change I championed that at the start of game each player would be dealt 2 cards and keep 1. That way each player has a different needs at the start of game. This variant is still possible with 2,3 and 4 players.

If you play like this only one player has the freedom for the lakes and is interesting. Warning though, scores will swing a lot more playing like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuula wrote:
In my mind no. You're right that it might be little bit duller that way but it is still different enough to warrant that card to be in the game.

However, the last change made to the game was how the end game cards were played. Until that change I championed that at the start of game each player would be dealt 2 cards and keep 1. That way each player has a different needs at the start of game. This variant is still possible with 2,3 and 4 players.

If you play like this only one player has the freedom for the lakes and is interesting. Warning though, scores will swing a lot more playing like that.

If you used that variant would each player reveal their scoring card before play began or wait until scoring the game at the end?

Brilliant game btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.