$60.00
$20.00
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally got my copy and it came with the bonus resin Star base so I thought why not add in a 4th star base but some rules add in to it. So here is the 4th starbase. Also an additional win condition could help for shorter games.

4th Starbase, just like the other starbase can only be constructed if you have the appropriate Ascendancy level. In this case level 4 Ascendancy. But in Addition to that you must also have all your Original 3 Star Bases. You cannot construct a 4th Starbase if you don't control all three of your faction's star bases you can build.

Starbase Supremacy Victory condition. Control 5 Star bases. With th3 4th Star base rule this becomes slightly easier but then again controlling an opponent's star base becomes more important as they could use it to make a 4th one. Think of it sort of like Wonder Construction in Age of Empires. You either build 3 and take 2, or take 5 from your opponent or build the 4th hone and then capture one from your opponent who is also trying to go for Starbase Supremacy.

Thoughts, comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
I think this would be too easy. Just through normal gameplay, I, and some of my players, have gotten 7-8 startbases before. If everyone can build 4 you would have to make the win 10-12. And even then it would be easily countered if the players just don't build 1 starbase each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont see how holding 5 starbases is easier than holding 3 homeworlds. having to spread your defenses/attack fleets over 5 systems instead of 3 will make it much more likely for your opponents to take one or more.

holding 7-8 starbases on a total of 9 seems rather a one-sided game (3 players), and is much more likely to happen when players dont see starbases as a priority to defend since they only defend their homeworld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
I think this would be too easy. Just through normal gameplay, I, and some of my players, have gotten 7-8 startbases before. If everyone can build 4 you would have to make the win 10-12. And even then it would be easily countered if the players just don't build 1 starbase each.

But you can just hold on to a Starbase that an oposing player has built to prevent them from building a 4th Starbase as they would have to have all 3 of their original Starbases to build the 4th one. To be honest I find it hard to win the game without at least 1 Starbase.

As for holding 5 systems vs holding 3 home systems I think players will defend their home systems stronger than Starbase systems. But yes this is to get those players from holding only their home systems to holding key strategic systems as well. The 5 starbase system is a way of forcing some interactions between the players as a player can only build up to 3 (4 if you use the 4th starbase optional rule). If the players know what they are doing they will know that they may need a place to build ships from that is not their homeworld. So getting 5 Starbases should not be impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.