Subject: End of Age 3 and declaring a war rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe to remember a specific rule but cannot find it any more in the rules book of the new edition.

If I remember correctly, there was a restriction to declaring war at the end of the game. Obviously, it doesn't make sense to declare a war in the last round (age 4), since it would never be dissolved.

But are you allow to declare a war after age 3 has ended (i.e. empty stack), but before the last round has begun? Say. A is start player, B draws the last card and thus ends Age 3. The end of the 2pl game would be:

Age 4 starts
B ends his turn
A has another turn (last round)
B has the last turn
Game ends.

In the turn marked bold - would B be alowed to declare a war?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chris Coyote wrote:
I believe to remember a specific rule but cannot find it any more in the rules book of the new edition.

If I remember correctly, there was a restriction to declaring war at the end of the game. Obviously, it doesn't make sense to declare a war in the last round (age 4), since it would never be dissolved.

But are you allow to declare a war after age 3 has ended (i.e. empty stack), but before the last round has begun? Say. A is start player, B draws the last card and thus ends Age 3. The end of the 2pl game would be:

Age 4 starts
B ends his turn
A has another turn (last round)
B has the last turn
Game ends.

In the turn marked bold - would B be alowed to declare a war?

Thanks.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Coyote wrote:

If I remember correctly, there was a restriction to declaring war at the end of the game.

You can't declare a war on your very last turn simply because wars are always resolved on the turn AFTER you declare them. And on your last turn of the game, there is no "next turn" for resolving a war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
Chris Coyote wrote:

If I remember correctly, there was a restriction to declaring war at the end of the game.

You can't declare a war on your very last turn simply because wars are always resolved on the turn AFTER you declare them. And on your last turn of the game, there is no "next turn" for resolving a war.

To clarify, this was not the case in the old version. The war was not going to be resolved, but the rules didn't forbid it. The rules did state that it made no sense, but it was an allowed move. There's not much reason to do it, true, but it was allowed. A possible reason to play a war was if player A wanted player B (with Churchill) to build extra strength so they would surpass player C in an eventual Impact of Strength scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nachof wrote:
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
Chris Coyote wrote:

To clarify, this was not the case in the old version. The war was not going to be resolved, but the rules didn't forbid it. The rules did state that it made no sense, but it was an allowed move. There's not much reason to do it, true, but it was allowed. A possible reason to play a war was if player A wanted player B (with Churchill) to build extra strength so they would surpass player C in an eventual Impact of Strength scoring.

I don't understand your example. Why would any player react in any way to war that they knew wasn't going to resolve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
nachof wrote:
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
Chris Coyote wrote:

I don't understand your example. Why would any player react in any way to war that they knew wasn't going to resolve?

Because it would give them points.

Churchill (in the old version) gives you extra resources to build military units if you're the target of a war. In the example, let's say A has strength 30, B 15, and C 16. By declaring war on B, A causes B to have extra resources. If B knows or suspects that there's Impact of Strength (or even Competition) they might choose to use a population unit (plus the free resources) to build a military unit to have more strength than C. That would give B extra points, at the expense of C. That might benefit A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nachof wrote:
grant5 wrote:
nachof wrote:
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
Chris Coyote wrote:

Because it would give them points.

Churchill (in the old version) gives you extra resources to build military units if you're the target of a war. In the example, let's say A has strength 30, B 15, and C 16. By declaring war on B, A causes B to have extra resources. If B knows or suspects that there's Impact of Strength (or even Competition) they might choose to use a population unit (plus the free resources) to build a military unit to have more strength than C. That would give B extra points, at the expense of C. That might benefit A.

Ah yes, I forgot Churchill triggered off being the target of a war in the old version, thanks for reminding me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.