10 Posts

The Great Zimbabwe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Technology card question? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taye T
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that a player may take more than one technology card in a turn. It is not allowed to take a technology card without building at least one of the corresponding craftsmen.
By the last part i understand that if you take 2 technology cards in a turn you don`t have to build two craftsmen but only one, and the second one is not mandatory.

But i found this response from Jeroen : as noted above already by others, it is perfectly legal to take both technologies if someone else already owns the other copy of the level one technology.
For example, if someone else already built an ivory carver, it is allowed to take both ivory carver and throne maker technologies, (as long as you also build both).
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/985917/craftsmen

So do you have to build both craftsmen if you take two different technologies cards in a turn or do you have to build just one and the second is not mandatory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, you only have to build a craftsman, if you are the take the first of the two technology card. Just play it this way that at least one craftsman must be in play, if the corresponding technology is taken by one player.

Edit for clarification: when you take two technology cards that no other player has taken you have to build both craftsmen.

Edit2:All this about "if you are the first to take" I remembered incorrectly. As pointed out below the rules are: If you take a technology card, build at least one corresponding craftsman. Do so for each card, if you take several cards in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the "As long as you also build both" is quite clear.
You have to build both type of craftsmen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taye T
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok.Thank you for the response.

The without building at least one of the corresponding craftsmen part got me confused. For me at least one ,means that you don`t have to build both but at least one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angeli5 wrote:
But i found this response from Jeroen : as noted above already by others, it is perfectly legal to take both technologies if someone else already owns the other copy of the level one technology.
For example, if someone else already built an ivory carver, it is allowed to take both ivory carver and throne maker technologies, (as long as you also build both).
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/985917/craftsmen

So do you have to build both craftsmen if you take two different technologies cards in a turn or do you have to build just one and the second is not mandatory?

The comment from Jeroen is adressed to the rule "built primary and secondary craftsmen in one turn". You can do that, but another player has to built a primary craftsmen first. Then you are able to built both in one turn respectively take the two responding technology cards and built them both (you must!)

If you take a technology card, you have to built it. It just says that you are not forced to built all three craftsmen of that type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taye T
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand now. Thank you. It is clear now.
So two different technologies you have to build both ,but the rules apply to the situation of one technology card (when you don`t have to build the three craftsmen of that type)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Eis
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it.

It's a definition or wording problem. Technology and Craftsmen are two different things (you don't build a technology ).

You take the technology card one time and have to build the craftsmen of that technology. Later in the game, you already have the technolgy card and (if another craftsmen is available and not built from another player with the other technology card in play) you can build another craftsmen. In your initial turn of taking the technology card, you only have to build one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only take a technology card if you use it in the same turn, in other words if you actually build at least one of those craftsmen. This holds for each card you take .

So also if you take the second card, you need to build one of those craftsmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taye T
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
A great game! keep them coming for many more years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to see it is (according to me) : you need to build one or several craftsmen this turn, so you take the tech cards if you don't have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.