Subject: Empty politic card stack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if the politic card stack (silver back) is empty in the middle of age 1 or 2 - do you continue drawing cards from the stack of the following age?

What happens if the same stack is empty during Age 3 - no more cards for the rest of the game? Reshuffle?

Is this anywhere in the rules? Couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reshuffle in all cases - you can never draw military cards of a more advanced age. I don't know exactly where it is in the rulebook but I know it's there, also the online implementations do it that way.

Note that the "past events" pile is not included in the reshuffle so events can never happen more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
Reshuffle in all cases - you can never draw military cards of a more advanced age. I don't know exactly where it is in the rulebook but I know it's there, also the online implementations do it that way.

Correct. You reshuffle the discard pile of the depleted military deck. This rule is fairly subtle, but makes for some important disaster potential.

Have you ever had an event in your hand that would probably be a killer for you, but would be awesome for one or more of your opponents? If you draw such a card early in an age, the solution looks fairly simple. You can't use the event, and you don't want your opponents to use it on you, so you just discard it and deny them the chance.

But because of the reshuffling rule, it is possible for that awful event to become available a second time! And that second time, it might just come into an opponent's hand instead of yours! So don't chuck events (that would be awful for you) any earlier than you need to! Discarding that event might make room in your hand for something more useful to you, but if you discard it before the deck is re-shuffled, it could come back and haunt you! So even if an event in your hand would work out awfully for you, don't want to discard it until you absolutely have to!

Quote:
Note that the "past events" pile is not included in the reshuffle so events can never happen more than once.

Correct! Be sure not to simply discard events after they occur! They don't go into the military card discard pile; they go into a separate "past events" pile so that they can't occur twice. Can you imagine having rats eat all your stored food not once, but twice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens, if even the discard pile is depleted? I suppose, in this case there just are no other military cards to be drawn till the end of the age? Or did we do something wrong and this should never happen? We had yesterday our first game with beginners rules, so the deck was a bit smaller then normal, lacking pacts, wars and raids, the later two would have returned to the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
What happens, if even the discard pile is depleted? I suppose, in this case there just are no other military cards to be drawn till the end of the age? Or did we do something wrong and this should never happen? We had yesterday our first game with beginners rules, so the deck was a bit smaller then normal, lacking pacts, wars and raids, the later two would have returned to the discard pile.

This does sound a little unlikely to me, but I never played the beginners rules. It might be possible there. You observe the military card limit right? For the discard pile to be empty to all the bonus cards as well as any remaining events and tactics need to fit in the players hands.

Anyways I believe you just don't draw anything, at least until some bonus cards are discarded. This is like age IV where there are no military cards to begin with so military draws are wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we obeyed the hand limit. I must add, we did not end the game that evening, we only came close to finish Age I. No harm done, since the hosts have a big table and are fine with covering it for a week with the game, so that we can finish it next week.

Situation in Age I was: two players got Monarchy, 2 players got the blue tech, which gives 1 red cube. So we had at least 12 military actions per round in play. (Not sure, if anybody had a leader granting a red cube, Theocracy was passed.) However, there are only 16 cards, which can be placed in Age I in a beginners game into the discard pile again: the Colonisation Bonus cards and the Tactics. (The later would even be gone, if somebody would have played them, which in our case nobody did.) And after reducing to the hand limit, it is possible to exceed it again with leftover military actions. So, if everybody in a round restocks again to +1 card, or two people restock to +2 cards, the stack will be gone in our situation. I think, we did everything right, didn't we?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds highly unlikely that you would deplete the military deck entirely.

Do remember the rule about never drawing more than 3 military cards, even if you have more than 3 red cubes during the end step.

And discard down to you max hand size before you draw new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:

Do remember the rule about never drawing more than 3 military cards, even if you have more than 3 red cubes during the end step.

It happens frequently in my games... if all players have many military actions and are always drawing 3 military cards per turn it will happen... also, there are events and colonies that will make you draw more cards, so it happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
It happens frequently in my games... if all players have many military actions and are always drawing 3 military cards per turn it will happen... also, there are events and colonies that will make you draw more cards, so it happens

It's not so much about drawing the cards, it's about not discarding them.

Mind you, I don't say it's impossible. Just highly unlikely during a normal game.

All players usually don't have many military actions and draws 3 per turn.

In Age 2, with 49 cards, you could have 15 of them tossed in the event pile. You could also have 4 active pacts (highly unlikely). That still leaves around 25-30 cards that should all be in players hands. If no one plays anything, they would each hold 6-7 cards. It is theoretically possible if everyone has 4+ military actions, but I would guess far from normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
SonnyDK wrote:

Depleting the military deck happens quite often. But what was discussed is that is it possible to not have a deck from which to draw military cards before age IV. So that there are no cards in discard pile which is used to form the new deck. This would require every military card to be in play, players' hands, and in the three event piles. That is theoretically possible as explained above, but doesn't happen in practise. There is no rule for what to do in this hypothetical situation, but I guess a player just doesn't draw any card if it truly happened (and certanly does not draw cards form the next age's deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen all three military decks exhausted in real games (Ages I/II/III), respecting the rule of max. 3 cards, of course. It is quite possible, especially for Age III.

As said, just reshuffle the discards (not events in the past events deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.