Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it was actually not stolen, it has been made a copy of without my knowledge and being used by some jerk up in Canada mainly in gas stations. (they must have big car, every time they gas it's like $90).

I just called my credit card company and they informed me of these suspicious charges and they were able to use it (within maybe 10) days, about $800 worth. how can someone even gas up every other day like that anyway....

anyway, the customer service person at citi bank told me the card was probably being copied when we are not looking, such as restarunts. The funny thing is, this card is rarely used. I use it maybe 1 time a month (not including online, even online maybe 1-2 times a month). I can't even remember the last time I used this credit card in an actual store.

Of course now I got to handle the paper work of not being responsible for these frud charges by mailing some form in after getting it notorized etc. Just what I need before my exam and my honeymoon.....sigh...
You are not safe anywhere, there are just people out there, who don't make an honest living and steal other people's hard earn money so they can gas their car 3 times a week. I think they really should have better technology to prevent people from copying information off of the magnetic strip on the back of a credit card, it's just too easy it seems.

shakeshakesobluesoblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife had her wallet and checkbook stolen a few years ago right around Christmas time, and the amount of paperwork she had to fill out in order to not be responsible for the charges and overdraft fees to our account (she had to complete one form for EACH check, and the woman who stole it went shop-happy in a very short time) was insane. I feel for you.

You know those no-swipe credit cards that a lot of banks are using so that you don't have to sign anything? Thieves can lift your account numbers right off the card using an RFID reader:

http://tinyurl.com/y6td5a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... you live in CT. Did you ever once use it at TJ MAX or Marshalls stores? There were a couple million card numbers stolen... mine was compromised. I had charges on 3/23-3/25.

http://news.com.com/T.J.+Maxx+hack+exposes+consumer+data/210...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
My wife had her wallet and checkbook stolen a few years ago right around Christmas time, and the amount of paperwork she had to fill out in order to not be responsible for the charges and overdraft fees to our account (she had to complete one form for EACH check, and the woman who stole it went shop-happy in a very short time) was insane. I feel for you.

You know those no-swipe credit cards that a lot of banks are using so that you don't have to sign anything? Thieves can lift your account numbers right off the card using an RFID reader:

http://tinyurl.com/y6td5a

ya it will be a pain. But fortunately I don't have to do one for each charge. Citicard said just fill out a security affidavit and notorize and then send back with bill should be ok. But I do have to do it twice, because the cut off date of the credit card. So i have charges on the may bill and will have some on the june bill too.

Ya I never understood that stupid idea of having those pay and go things they put on credit cad. It's not easy enough to steal credit card info already? they have to make it even easier by not require signing at all? Even the commercial for that thing (an elephant went out to buy drugs for his friend) says it all...even an elephant can use the card, so can anyone else.

But I think this time, it's not justthe number that was stolen, they said it was the magnetic strip info. So if they only stole the number they can still make fake credit cards? or they can only use the number on online purchases? Well I guess I will never know how it happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Well... you live in CT. Did you ever once use it at TJ MAX or Marshalls stores? There were a couple million card numbers stolen... mine was compromised. I had charges on 3/23-3/25.

http://news.com.com/T.J.+Maxx+hack+exposes+consumer+data/210...

I did use it once, only once, in TJ maxx, only once, it was back in march of last year. never go to marshalls though.

didn't think about that link....

so once the credit card number is stolen, they can make fake credit cards just like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
kittyangel wrote:
I did use it once, only once, in TJ maxx, only once, it was back in march of last year. never go to marshalls though.

so once the credit card number is stolen, they can make fake credit cards just like that?

Once was enough... I was told 2 years worth of numbers were stolen.

It is possible to make a card... it is also possible to key the numbers in if you have an accomplice or you work at the establishment making the charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
kittyangel wrote:

Once was enough... I was told 2 years worth of numbers were stolen.

It is possible to make a card... it is also possible to key the numbers in if you have an accomplice or you work at the establishment making the charge.

that's why I think it is most likely to be someone key in the numbers when I am not looking, namely places that run charges in the back (restarunts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittyangel wrote:

yep. everything you need is easily available online. 30 seconds of googling netted this page, for instance:

http://hackershomepage.com/section6.htm

since they're using you card exclusively at gas stations, it's probably just a plain encoded card. nobody ever looks at your credit card at the gas station - you just swipe it and pump away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:
kittyangel wrote:

yep. everything you need is easily available online. 30 seconds of googling netted this page, for instance:

since they're using you card exclusively at gas stations, it's probably just a plain encoded card. nobody ever looks at your credit card at the gas station - you just swipe it and pump away.

So for that device to work, they must have secretly swiped my card at some point without me knowing. hum....i guess it's all cash when I go out to eat from now on. If it's a retail store usually I swipe or they swipe in front of me so there is no change they c an swipe again on a separate thing like the one in the link.

Why do people have to use technology for evil...sigh....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time, I suggest you mail me your credit card for safekeeping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.T.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:
kittyangel wrote:

I had my ATM card copied last year, most likely with the device mentioned above as they raided my checking account and savings account. You cant get to the money in the savings account with out a pin, which is on the card. Of course this will happen with greater and greater frequency as the banks and credit card companies push us further into a cashless economy, without creating the infrastructure to secure our digital information and identity. Frankly the cost to them to reimburse their customers is less than the cost of creating a secure network. Of course, you can spend millions trying to create a secure encryption just to have a 17 yo kid crack it, making it worthless(DVD, HD-DVD, Blu Ray, anyone??) The only solution would be to go back to using cash and deal with the inconvenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Way-whu-nuh-now?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood that credit card theft is much more a professional vocation (loosely affiliated "gangs" sharing information gathered from databases or phised) rather than a crime of oportunity (a clerk writing down your information). Does anybody know if that is true?

My parents have had their credit card numbers stolen and misused twice in the last, oh, about 4 years. Both times they caught the charges pretty early and were able to get things fixed at no cost, but only after hours and hours of phone calls and paperwork. What a pain that convenience can be!

Sorry to hear your story. Be sure to clear the charges up properly so you don't end up with a hit against your credit. A bad mark on your credit report can be well-nigh impossible to clean up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittyangel wrote:

So for that device to work, they must have secretly swiped my card at some point without me knowing. hum....i guess it's all cash when I go out to eat from now on. If it's a retail store usually I swipe or they swipe in front of me so there is no change they c an swipe again on a separate thing like the one in the link.

Why do people have to use technology for evil...sigh....

not sure of the technology involved, but it may be possible to spoof a card using the data leaked by TJ Maxx/Marshall's - they may not have ever been near your card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
kittyangel,

This is a real bummer, I hope everything works out okay. what a pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
ACK ACK wrote:
I understood that credit card theft is much more a professional vocation (loosely affiliated "gangs" sharing information gathered from databases or phised) rather than a crime of oportunity (a clerk writing down your information). Does anybody know if that is true?

My parents have had their credit card numbers stolen and misused twice in the last, oh, about 4 years. Both times they caught the charges pretty early and were able to get things fixed at no cost, but only after hours and hours of phone calls and paperwork. What a pain that convenience can be!

Sorry to hear your story. Be sure to clear the charges up properly so you don't end up with a hit against your credit. A bad mark on your credit report can be well-nigh impossible to clean up.

As it happens, preventing and understanding retail fraud is part of my job.

Credit cards are typically stolen and used by big fraud rings, but those rings recruit bartenders, servers and cashiers. When you offer $25 per card to a poor university student that is working as a server in a restaurant, you'll get a steady stream of cards numbers in no time.

Gas stations are relatively common places to try to use stolen numbers, but some chains are figuring the problem out, and using cameras and records to identify the thief. In most cases, if someone uses as stolen car in a business, the business is the one that takes the loss, so it makes sense for the retailer to try to prevent this, or at least detect it. Getting the license plate of the car that was filled with a stolen card, plus a picture of the driver, can be worth it.

In countries where public transportation is more common, thieves use the cards to buy stacks of tickets, that they can use or resell later. Those tickets are purchased at machines with no security, so it's a pretty effective crime.

There really is very little anyone can do to prevent card fraud. Your card can be stolen from any business you ever purchased from, memorized and then written down by a cashier at a low volume store, scanned through custom readers, or taken by your server at a restaurant. You could just have a keylogger installed in your machine by a virus. The risk can be mitigated, but never really taken care of. It's a bit like terrorism that way.

Just like any other kind of fraud, your best bet is to spend your energy detecting it as early as possible. Most banks will let you download an almost up to date card statement. Check it often, and if the worst happens, you'll at least catch it quickly. You really don't want to set your card to 'automatically pay in full', and ignore your statements for months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
ACK ACK wrote:

As it happens, preventing and understanding retail fraud is part of my job.

Credit cards are typically stolen and used by big fraud rings, but those rings recruit bartenders, servers and cashiers. When you offer $25 per card to a poor university student that is working as a server in a restaurant, you'll get a steady stream of cards numbers in no time.

Gas stations are relatively common places to try to use stolen numbers, but some chains are figuring the problem out, and using cameras and records to identify the thief. In most cases, if someone uses as stolen car in a business, the business is the one that takes the loss, so it makes sense for the retailer to try to prevent this, or at least detect it. Getting the license plate of the car that was filled with a stolen card, plus a picture of the driver, can be worth it.

In countries where public transportation is more common, thieves use the cards to buy stacks of tickets, that they can use or resell later. Those tickets are purchased at machines with no security, so it's a pretty effective crime.

There really is very little anyone can do to prevent card fraud. Your card can be stolen from any business you ever purchased from, memorized and then written down by a cashier at a low volume store, scanned through custom readers, or taken by your server at a restaurant. You could just have a keylogger installed in your machine by a virus. The risk can be mitigated, but never really taken care of. It's a bit like terrorism that way.

Just like any other kind of fraud, your best bet is to spend your energy detecting it as early as possible. Most banks will let you download an almost up to date card statement. Check it often, and if the worst happens, you'll at least catch it quickly. You really don't want to set your card to 'automatically pay in full', and ignore your statements for months.

While I neverhave the card paid in full without looking at my statement, I did however neglected to check my online statement before the bill comes. I think I forgot my user id or password, and also I hardly use the card so less incentive for me to track it. This time I guess Citi Card did catch it sort of early, so I guess the loss isn't as big as it could have been. I was going to go away for 2 weeks, if I hadn't called my credit card company and stopped the card usage, after 2 weeks it would have been worse.

I guess there is nothing anyone can do about credit card fraud unless everyone starts to use cash all the time. Well there is price to pay for convinience I guess. Hopefully I can resolve this thing after I come back. Maybe buying games in Germany will take my mind off of this awful experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anybody is actually buying $90 of gasoline. They are just putting that charge through the station's system. They charge your card with $90 and take $90 out of the cash. The station's accounts balance and they know that lots of people never read their statements. Easy money.

Two fraud rings using petrol stations have been busted in the UK in recent months. It seems the criminals find it easy to cheat the supposedly impregnable Chip'n'Pin system used here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.