Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't take all the credit for this pimp- just some of it. It was already fancied up when I got it by the previous owner... one of the reasons I wanted this copy instead of a new one.

First off, it's the collector's edition which comes with nice pewter miniatures for player figures, an extra large board (and a poster of the art work) and so on.

Next, the person (or persons) before me made a box insert, sleeved the cards and added coloured bases to the figures to give them more stability and to make them easier to identify. They also added a plastic box with spaces for the specialty dice and the player figures and crafted inserts in the player colours for it to keep the figures from having too much space to move. They also added a back to the player boards with a player coloured edge- it adds a little size but the frame makes it look very nice. This is how the game came to me- less the bag which got left out. (Since I would never ever keep the miniatures in the bag, I am not concerned about that.)

What I have done is take the box insert and glue it together (it was pressure fitted and had a tendency to slip when moved) although the nice tray for the tiles and chits (which has the colours of the tiles on the bottom so it's easy to remember where each set goes) is still removable, as is the plastic box.

I've also added a copy of Microart's resin Witches Pawns that that they made as an add on for the Polish edition- although I'm not sure why it was specified since they could be added to any edition. The sculpts are vastly superior to the pewter miniatures and obviously based on the game artwork as well as the books. I also modified the slot in the insert that was holding the bag to individual spaces for the resin miniatures and padded the bottom with leather in the player colours to protect the paint.

Świat Dysku: Wiedźmy – Sabat Czarownic

They don't need another base as there is a very nice stable base modeled with the figures including the name of the character cut into the front of the base and I am hugely impressed with the modeling- they are steady when sitting and have no flash or mold line anywhere. Plus the detail is fantastic!

They can be used straight out of the box as they are made in the player colours... but I'm painting mine.

Dimity half painted
Tiffany, Annagramma and Petulia primed

I tried painting on the primer like I used to do with my Ral Partha figures but either the resin doesn't take primer as well, the formula has changed or I've forgotten how because it was much too thick and I was loosing a LOT of detail. So I scrubbed it off and got some spray Citadel primer which covered pretty well. I can still see a few deep places it didn't quite get but I think that it will be okay.

To facilitate my return to painting very tiny things, my BFF,
Elizabeth Stewart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
, sent me a desktop stand magnifier as an early (very early) Christmas gift and I got a new tiny brush called "The Psycho". I still had my two 3/0s, two 5/0s and 10/0 brushes from when I painted fantasy miniatures in college... but sometimes even the 10/0 is too big!

I got my brush (from Amazon) and looking at it under my new magnifier, it is exactly the same size as my old Floquil 10/0. Which is fine- it was cheap and I needed another 10/0 really... but I was hoping for something smaller.

On the other hand, the magnifier is magnificent! I am still learning that closer is not better and not to knock it with the brush handle but it's a steep curve and gets easier very quickly. By the time I finish with the next witch, I expect it will be second nature.

Dimity is ready for sealer and I'm about to start work today on Petulia. I'm not entirely happy with Dimity's eyes (whole face, in fact) and just found 20/0, 30/0 and 40/0 sable brushes (Reaper brand) on ebay so maybe the rest will be better.

Dimity is finished... unless I decide to repaint her face- which I might. Petulia is about half finished- I still need to paint her face, pick out the stars on her hat in silver, paint her base and wash and highlight everything.

Dimity

Petulia half finished

The Reaper brushes are here and I'm disappointed. The 20/0 and 30/0 are larger than my old 10/0 and the 40/0 is about the same size. Also both of the two I have tried so far are a bit long in the bristle for good control- the bend under the weight of the paint- and both of them have had one stray hair that was much longer than the rest and had to be trimmed.

Also, note to self, the colour 'ardcoat is a glossy finish- not matte. This is useful for jewelry, eyes and other things that should be shiney... but not for things like fabric and skin that should be matte.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be posting the other three miniatures as I finish them.

One thing I do want to say is that the more I paint the miniatures, the more impressed with MicroArts Studio- these are insanely high quality! Hair, even eyebrows, have texture and Petulia's hat has embroidered stars on it that are raised just slightly. I've never seen detail like this in a miniature before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played this game it must be worth all the effort you have put into pimping it. Love Pratchett never been interested in the games until now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what you like. This is a light game that can be played competitively, co-operatively or solo which is important for me. Plus the artwork and cards are all based on the stories in the Witches cycle of Discworld books. I had read a couple... but to get ALL the references of the game, I had to read ALL the witches books! (An enjoyable task in it's own right) And now, when Lily Weatherwax shows up, I know why it's so difficult to defeat her!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petulia is finished!

The stars on the hat were particularly hard- I had to scrubb off the top part of the hat and repaint it twice. Interdental brushes work well for tiny scrubbing, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
theDEADareMANY wrote:
Never played this game it must be worth all the effort you have put into pimping it. Love Pratchett never been interested in the games until now.

Well, it IS a Martin Wallace game, so that's a point in its favor right there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
theDEADareMANY wrote:

Well, it IS a Martin Wallace game, so that's a point in its favor right there!

Martin Wallace must be a big fan of Discworld because, unlike some literary based games I have played, everything in the game has a basis in the books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you... although at least half or more of the painting is how well the miniatures are made! I'm so impressed with them and getting more so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theDEADareMANY wrote:

You would almost definitely enjoy Discworld: Ankh-Morpork; I find it to be a slightly better "game", and it is also thoroughly integrated with the Discworld theme.

To OP: those miniatures look *AMAZING*!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
theDEADareMANY wrote:

You would almost definitely enjoy Discworld: Ankh-Morpork; I find it to be a slightly better "game", and it is also thoroughly integrated with the Discworld theme.

To OP: those miniatures look *AMAZING*!

Thank you! I'm so impressed with MicroArts Studio- I just can't gush enough.

As to Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, the deluxe version is on the very top of my wishlist... the only thing that makes it not my grail game is that it is not solo-able!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Annagramma is finished!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
This IS my happy face...
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some nice additions to the game!

I agree, Micro Art Studios produces some great miniatures. Painting the witches was great fun.

If the connection of the game to the Discworld is important to you I would also recommend to try out Discworld: Ankh-Morpork. It is a fun game in its own right and the tie-ins to the Discworld novels are done very well. There is not a single card in the game that can not be traced to a Pratchett novel and they cover everything from The Color of Magic up to Making Money, as long as it has a relation to Ankh-Morphork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dasambi wrote:
These are some nice additions to the game!

I agree, Micro Art Studios produces some great miniatures. Painting the witches was great fun.

If the connection of the game to the Discworld is important to you I would also recommend to try out Discworld: Ankh-Morpork. It is a fun game in its own right and the tie-ins to the Discworld novels are done very well. There is not a single card in the game that can not be traced to a Pratchett novel and they cover everything from The Color of Magic up to Making Money, as long as it has a relation to Ankh-Morphork.

Thank you! I really like your painted witches, btw.

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is on the top of my games wish list right now in spite of it not being a solo game... but I'm holding out for the Treefrog Deluxe edition because I know me- if I get another version, I'll still be wanting the nice one. Plus a companion game to this one really needs to be just as fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiffany is finially finished!

Which means the whole game is finished:

Yay!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great job. wonderful painting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
great job. wonderful painting

Thank you! I'm going to enter the girls in the November contest... wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you don't need luck. you have skill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
you don't need luck. you have skill!

Aww! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.