Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Quests in this game are really just abstract positioning of your meeples? no story? no flavour? just "have 3 meeples in diagonal line"...uhm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While many quests revealed so far do appear to be based on meeple position, not all are like that exactly. Also, I think there still some story and flavor that comes from where those meeples need to be and the name of the quest. A couple examples:

Study at the Foreign Wizard Towers: visit all 3 other castles (i.e. talk to various other wizards).

Map to the Bow: be attacking 2 goblins to accept the quest (i.e. find the map via meeple placement), then complete the Forest Temple to finish the quest (i.e. find the Bow by searching).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sallay
msg tools
mbmb
There are other quests that require you to fight goblins or go through certain temples. I think Rahdo's run through video gave a very good feel of how thematic the game would be. For me, I think the theme comes in through the interplay between the day and night phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Flores
Brazil
Teresina
Piauí
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can infer a lot from the name of the card. The quest you mentioned is called "Train the Gryphons". It's makes sense when you look at the Gryphon movement card, that allows you to move in diagonal. "Map the Land" requires you to spread your heroes in the world in cartographical journeys.

I agree some flavor text in the cards wouldn't hurt, but I don't see them as abstract.

These quests cards even remind me the Lords of Waterdeep's quest cards, and Lords is considered quite thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to be playing this game often. I don't know if it would encourage me or discourage me if the quests were very story driven.

"Talk to the farmer's widow" with some flavor text would probably lead to me ignoring the flavor text after several plays.

Related quests don't work that well either since they are random each game and every game sees a different amount of quests.

I get your wish, I just feel it is very difficult to implement well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samflores wrote:
These quests cards even remind me the Lords of Waterdeep's quest cards, and Lords is considered quite thematic.

By whom? When I overhear people playing LoW they're saying things like "I'll do this card for 4 orange and a white".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Flores
Brazil
Teresina
Piauí
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most resource management euro games can be played overlooking the theme. It's not the game's fault.

Almost all reviews I watched think the theme is well suited in this one and all the groups I play take it into account in some degree.

Some of my friends are really into it ("I'll send an agent to Blackstaff Tower to hire a Wizard to join the party and they will Domesticate Owlbears") others not so much ("I will get a Rogue and complete this quest"), but they are seldom called "cubes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about everyone I play with collects and pays purple cubes and white cubes or "two oranges", but we enjoy LoW immensely anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.