Subject: Placing Dracula first - before the Hunters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there have been many threads stating that the game favours Dracula - particularly if he spends a lot of time at sea.

I wonder if placing Dracula firs, before the Hunters, would make things more even? This is thematic as Dracula is already 'abroad' at the start of this game, when the Hunters gather to start their hunt.

I haven't play-tested this idea but intend to and will feed back my findings on game balance. Alternatively, has anyone already tried this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
It could result in a very quick game if one of the hunters starts in the same city as Dracula! Especially if another one is close by.

I think Dracula being hidden at the start is an important aspect of the game, and allowing him to choose his position knowing where the hunters are is a large part of that.

If you feel the game favours Dracula too much, there are better ways to fix that IMO. Give him less blood at the start, or disallow the use of Misdirect at sea, or say sea movement costs more than one Blood if there's more than one Despair token out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
It could result in a very quick game if one of the hunters starts in the same city as Dracula! Especially if another one is close by.

I think Dracula being hidden at the start is an important aspect of the game, and allowing him to choose his position knowing where the hunters are is a large part of that.

If you feel the game favours Dracula too much, there are better ways to fix that IMO. Give him less blood at the start, or disallow the use of Misdirect at sea, or say sea movement costs more than one Blood if there's more than one Despair token out...

All good points, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
It could result in a very quick game if one of the hunters starts in the same city as Dracula! Especially if another one is close by

This would probably favour Dracula. A fight against unequipped hunters early on wouldn't end well.

The 'best' fix for Dracula is to enjoy it Thematically. Have the Dracula player be someone who will make the game fun and not just play optimally.

If you want a game of chess, play chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think this could work. All Dracula has to do is choose not to start in a large city. How lucky would hunters have to be to have two of them start right next to Dracula?

If they all start in small cities, and they don't find him, they have forfeited their first supply action. If they all clump together and don't get lucky, they have set themselves back considerably. (I am assuming all hunters would have to be placed BEFORE Dracula would be revealed.)

Thematically, it makes much more sense that Dracula be placed first.

One tweak that could prevent a hunter from starting in the same city would be to place two cards (adjacent cities) next to the first slot. If a hunter is placed on one, Dracula slides the other onto the slot to start.

This variant would work better if Dracula has his powers (especially Wolf Form). That would tend to balance early luck guess by hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just shuffle all the Location cards and deal them out randomly to everyone as their starting locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.