Legends of Andor» Forums » General

Subject: Why don't I like Andor more then I do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Loonen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I hope you guys can help me find the reason why I'm not head over heels with Legends of Andor (LoA). And that your insights help me enjoy this game (which i really want).

I don't particularly enjoy amerithrash games. I enjoy Imperial Assault or Dead of Winter for 1 game, but then had enough of it for couple of months. That's why 95% of my collection are eurogames. But I do enjoy adventure, puzzles, coop, fantasy and storytelling. I'm also familiar with RPG type games on the pc (played Guildwars for 100 of hours) so I do enjoy that.

I own LoA and I played solo 2 times (won both times) and once with 4 players (lost without a chance of winning because of the maximum amount of creatures in the castle, even after putting some farmers in there). It didn't blow me out of the water. Unfortunately, because the theme, board, puzzles and storyline do really interest me.

Maybe it is the long setup time before you can actually start playing? Or is it the bad luck you can have with drawn events? Or just the pain when monsters roll double it's almost unfair and impossible to beat them?

I don't really have an answer for myself, but maybe you guys recognise some of my issues and help me find out why it isn't love at first sight? I know it kind of an odd question, but maybe some other insights help me enjoy this game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Loonens wrote:
Or is it the bad luck you can have with drawn events? Or just the pain when monsters roll double it's almost unfair and impossible to beat them?

Hi Loones!

Bad luck in combat with the dice rolling can be mitigated: use the Wizard's special ability, get your hands on the 3 runestones (roll only 10s & 12s with the Wiz), max out the dice pool of your heroes, etc. etc. See? Lots of ways to overcome bad luck...

Regarding the Creatures' slight advantage, make sure to get a Helm for your Warrior and Dwarf: they too, then, will be able to add same-faced dice!

If you're a eurogamer at heart, plus you like coops and fantasy, I recommend you give Andor a second chance!
Perhaps you should avoid playing solitaire: when you play with other people, then the game really shines through. Half the pleasure of playing Andor, IMHO, is interaction and deciding with fellow heroes how to solve the challenges of the game (it's a coop, after all!)

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What legends did you play?

Maybe you don't like using multiple heroes? Try this solo-variant: http://legendsofandor.com/bonus-material/solo-variante-fur-l...

Long setup time - really a problem, but you can try cut out some boxes and it will become much better. Baggies just terrible.

Also the game lose something when you play for dwarf and other hero(es) by yourself. Because dwarf always ask more gold from other players but they don't want to give it to him. And it's fun! This make the player looks greedy as a dwarf

Also I will recommend you try to imagine everything in the game: when you talking with farmers, every time you go to the market, every time you cross the bridge, etc. There's a lot of story may be in the game. Imagine that strength track is something more, better weapon, learning skills, better equipment, talking with blacksmith.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Also I will recommend you try to imagine everything

https://youtu.be/NaSd2d5rwPE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think that this is not the greatest solo game. Don't get me wrong, it is fun solo, just not my fav.

As has already been said, having others to help you on your quest is what makes this game really shine. My favorite part of the game is deciding when and how to actually go after whatever the end goal is. My experience is that it has to be timed pretty well. If you can get all the right items for the scenario and then go after the end goal, the game tension really builds and you have the awesome "let's play the next one" or "we gotta play it again, we were so close" moment. The game really is well balanced from that aspect. Hope that helps get you going for the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
What legends did you play?

This is the most important question.

As an aside, I have everything in baggies, and after playing legend 3 several times, it no longer feels like it takes a long time to set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Loonen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your replies. I played L1, L2, L3 solo and L3 with 4 players.

Maybe it's just the case that you need more players for this game to really make it shine. Just like in Guildwars: the experience with real players is much better then with henchmen. Next time I'll try with 2 or more players to play this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Loonens wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. I played L1, L2, L3 solo and L3 with 4 players.

If you have played L3 with 4 players, then you have mostly seen what the game has to offer. Perhaps another multi-player game of L3, where you can feel like it wasn't an "unfair" defeat would help. Aside from that, I wouldn't really expect more plays (at any player count) to change your mind. But you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.