GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,827 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Large figures movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihai Iliescu
msg tools
Hi

While playing the campaigns I came across the following questions:
How can a large figure move in IA ?
Can it move in 1 move from AA to BB, or does it need to rotate , which means 2 moves AA to AB and than AB to BB ?
The rules state that a move is one square, but also that large fig can only move orthogonaly.

What is more interesting is that on massive fig it shows that it can move all its base 1 line below/above, but I am not sure on large figures, and the info i've found is that it needs 2 mvmts points.

[A] [A]
[B] [B]

or
[A] [A]
[B]

[A]
[B] [B]

PS I haven't found anywhere the rule that when moving orthodiagonally (vertically/horizontaly) it needs to keep half of its base spaces, only when rotating. This would have made it easier , as I only have the rule 1 mvmt, one space, which I'm not sure how it applies to large/massive, also considering that the massive are allowed to move 1 line/3spaces from a to b by using 1 mvmt point

[a][a][a]
[b][b][b]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
If, as I understand your diagram, it is sitting on [A][A], it can use 1 Movement Point to simply move sideways to [B][B].

Every forward, backward, turn, or sideways step will be one square of movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figures with rectangular bases can move in any direction without rotating.
Facing does not matter in IA, so large figures that are 2x1 or 2x3 will only want to rotate to move down corridors, or in the case of 2x1, to adjust movement to avoid difficult terrain. 2x3 figures are Massive, which ignore difficult terrain. 2x2 figures are square, so they don't need to rotate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ilici wrote:
PS I haven't found anywhere the rule that when moving orthodiagonally (vertically/horizontaly) it needs to keep half of its base spaces, only when rotating.

That is correct. Only rotation requires that the new occupied spaces cover at least half of the old occupied spaces.

Large figures cannot move diagonally.

Also note that Massive is not directly tied to Large figures. Massive is only an additional ability for some Large figures currently in the game.

Some related threads:
Large figure movement question
Can a 2 spaced figure rotate through a barrier?
Shuffling E-webs
Large figures movemnt in confined spaces.
Large + Massive figures and facing - what's the point?
Large Base Movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachi C
msg tools
mb
a1bert wrote:
ilici wrote:
PS I haven't found anywhere the rule that when moving orthodiagonally (vertically/horizontaly) it needs to keep half of its base spaces, only when rotating.

That is correct. Only rotation requires that the new occupied spaces cover at least half of the old occupied spaces.

Also note that Massive is not directly tied to Large figures. Massive is only an additional ability for some Large figures currently in the game.

Some related threads:
Shuffling E-webs
Large Base Movement

Maybe we have always played it wrong with the ATST.

Does it means that an ATST with one Movement Point can move of two squares?

Like ATST (A) Empty (E). ATST uses ONE movement point. and NO rotation.

AAEE......EEAA
AAEE......EEAA
AAEE......EEAA

OR

AAEE.......EAAE
AAEE.......EAAE
AAEE.......EAAE

I don't know how to write to explain it better, sorry!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lunottina wrote:
a1bert wrote:
ilici wrote:

Some related threads:
Shuffling E-webs
Large Base Movement

Maybe we have always played it wrong with the ATST.

Does it means that an ATST with one Movement Point can move of two squares?

Like ATST (A) Empty (E). ATST uses ONE movement point.

AAEE......EEAA
AAEE---->EEAA
AAEE......EEAA

OR

AAEE......EAAE
AAEE---->EAAE
AAEE......EAAE

Thanks!

The second one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every figure moves one space at a time. Large figures only orthogonally, small figures can also move diagonally.

Note that E-Web Engineer moving one space 'sideways' is possible and the new spaces the figure occupies share no spaces with the old spaces it occupied.

That's why the 50% or more rule is only for rotation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can actually use the 50% rule for all movement except you do also have to allow 1*2 sidle as the only exception.

For anyone still confused, the possible movement of a 2*3 figure is illustrated in the RRG movement examples on p27.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.