CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I need guidance in all things and bgg is the north star of my life...

So I've been auctioning and selling some games (as I've mentioned on here just a little bit), with modest success (meaning, more games are going out than are coming in). Now in this process I've run across my old copy of Diplomacy. I was never a giant Diplomacy player but I used to play some way back in the day. Way way way back. Far more by snail mail (wayyyyyy back) or email than in person. I also played a little Youngstown variant and I have the printed map of that variant stuffed in the game box.

So I'm hit with what to do with Diplomacy. I think the last time I played it is probably at least 15 years ago, and that wasn't in person. I need to make room for newer games that I actually do play or hope to play. But it's a game that I used to play a lot. I'd obsess over my moves. Brood over how I could support that fleet and stab that player and and and... Yeah, I need to let it go. Which really means throwing it away, not selling it, because that box has seen a lot of wear and tear. I think someone sat on it. Someone big.

So how do you deal with dumping games? Share your stories!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
My general inclination would be to keep the game, if it means that much to you. It may be another 15 years before you play it again, but there's always a chance!

Then again, I have yet to reach the fabled "house cleaning" stage myself. My game shelves are basically at their limit right now, but my solution to that is BUY MORE SHELVES!

(Fortunately, the wife is also on board with that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten rid of plenty of games over the years, but not Diplomacy. And I haven't played mine in over 20 years though, like you, I enjoyed the PBEM scene.

Diplomacy is a special game, IMHO. Lots of games have come out since Settlers of Catan, and many of them are excellent. Want a 2-player abstract? An area-control dice chucker? A letter tile word game? I have recommendations that aren't chess, Risk, or Scrabble. The classics have all fallen from their perches, in my own internal recommendation engine.

But if you want a large negotiation game - no dice; just negotiation, backstabbing, and the crushing of souls - there is no substitute for Diplomacy. It, and it alone, is still the king of its hill.

So keep it. It's not a large box, and if the time comes when you want it, there will be no substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really need the space, toss the box and send it to me

I will make room for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Malmberg
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I will break my answer into to focal points: non-board games and games.

Non-board games:
Wife and I have severely outgrown our condo (it was sized for just one of us when she purchased it, but then I barged into her life) -- we both have lots of hobbies [and she is an amateur horder]. When it comes to organizing and clean up, I have zero hesitation when it comes to tossing anything that fits the "non-board games" category.

Board games:
Well ... I don't ... yet ... I have a few Kickstarter flops that I will have to donate/dispose of because they are not worth the space, but so far I continue to "find" "space" for more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it, I say, unless another game fills the void for you!

I have four games I could not bear to part with, that I no longer want to play:

Monopoly, Hotel, Scrabble and Risk.

Monopoly and Scrabble will stay because my son likes them. I would otherwise get rid of Scrabble, because Paperback replaces it for me.

Risk is going, because I have finally found something I feel I can say has truly replaced it: Risk: Europe.

Hotel, I would just miss the ridiculous components too much, so it stays. I will play it now and again for nostalgia.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I need guidance in all things and bgg is the north star of my life...

So I've been auctioning and selling some games (as I've mentioned on here just a little bit), with modest success (meaning, more games are going out than are coming in). Now in this process I've run across my old copy of Diplomacy. I was never a giant Diplomacy player but I used to play some way back in the day. Way way way back. Far more by snail mail (wayyyyyy back) or email than in person. I also played a little Youngstown variant and I have the printed map of that variant stuffed in the game box.

So I'm hit with what to do with Diplomacy. I think the last time I played it is probably at least 15 years ago, and that wasn't in person. I need to make room for newer games that I actually do play or hope to play. But it's a game that I used to play a lot. I'd obsess over my moves. Brood over how I could support that fleet and stab that player and and and... Yeah, I need to let it go. Which really means throwing it away, not selling it, because that box has seen a lot of wear and tear. I think someone sat on it. Someone big.

So how do you deal with dumping games? Share your stories!

If you must get rid of it and don't want to bother with the hassle of selling it, give it to a thrift store. Then, in about a week or two someone else will post a picture of it here on BGG proclaiming what a great bargain they just got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But seriously, Diplomacy is not difficult to find or particularly expensive. If you get rid of the game, it won't be an epic quest in the future to find it should you have the hankering to play again. So unless you are attached to that particular copy, I'd say there's no reason to keep it. If, for some reason, you come across people who want to play again in the future, buy a new copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take it to the thrift store with whatever else you can't sell. Make room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should throw away Diplomacy. Maybe jump up and down on it a few times first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
I don't get rid of awesome classics that stand the test of time for mediocre new crap that will probably become trade fodder in a year.

I play the long game.

My advise, stop trying to chase the next new high, pick up diplomacy, and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Support your local community and donate it to the nearest gaming store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
ByDeadlyHands wrote:
Support your local community and donate it to the nearest gaming store.

It's not really in donated shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if someone sat on the box and crushed it, then it shouldn't really take much room on the shelf

You could always recycle the game pieces.. one idea if you're looking to decorate a games room or for something original, frame the game board. When it's a map it looks good framed even to non gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in shape to be donated? Has rules and board and all pieces, just a messed up box?

And you know of no "youth group" of any kind in your area that could use it? Or a neighbor?

At least we now know that PnP games need to include a printout for a box to be of any value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Diplomacy is too useful a game to throw out. There may come a time when there is a friend who you do not want to be friends with anymore. Set up a game of Diplomacy and backstab your "former friend" massively. Voila... a painless breakup of a friendship.

But seriously... Diplomacy is not in the same class as other games. It is a classic and probably will continue to be long after most of the BGG top 20 have been replaced by the lastest great games. I still have my Diplomacy game from back in the 60s even though I have only rarely played it over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who grew up in Boardman, what is this Youngstown variant of which you speak?

Also, on the central question, get rid of it imo. In my experience, we wildly overestimate how sad we'll feel getting rid of nostalgia stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
As someone who grew up in Boardman, what is this Youngstown variant of which you speak?

Also, on the central question, get rid of it imo. In my experience, we wildly overestimate how sad we'll feel getting rid of nostalgia stuff.

Youngstown was (is?) a popular 10 player variant. Same rules, bigger map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Space makes me trim my games.

I will be honest, I could if allowed, fill up a whole house with games.

I don't. I do have a game room in the basement. It has two ceiling to floor book cases with adjustable shelves. That is my space. If I want something else, I have to discard something. Since I know there are games we no longer play or have hope of playing, those go first and I slot in my new game. That is still over 100 games and that is fine for me.

I will first ask my gaming friends if they want the game and if nobody bites off to eBay it goes.

I don't become emotionally attached to any one game although I am more passionate about playing certain games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's one of the nice old sets with pleasing wooden pieces, then I would keep it for nostalgia and sentiment and because it's a cool edition of the game.

Otherwise I would get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
blackmeeple wrote:
Scrabble, because Paperback replaces it for me.

Tigris & Euphrates replaces Scrabble for me, haha.

Is the game still playable? If so, and you couldn't give it away, just keep it. Maybe you'll play it again someday.

If you haven't played it in ages, don't feel any particular urge to play it, and you can sell it, sell it. No point keeping stuff you don't use when you could give it to someone who will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't keep games that you won't play. If nostalgia is the only reason to hold onto it, then take a few pictures of it and toss the game. The pictures will preserve your memories as much as the physical copy would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you 100% certain that you won't ever play online again? I like to set up the physical board and pieces if I do. There are programs/online tools for it, but it's not quite as nice. That obviously won't work with Youngstown, but you may discover some other variant (I played 1900, with a PnP map and the usual pieces)? No FTF just to play a few years with new gamers, to show what it was like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Don't keep games that you won't play. If nostalgia is the only reason to hold onto it, then take a few pictures of it and toss the game. The pictures will preserve your memories as much as the physical copy would.

No; no, they wont. For me, the whole appeal of boardgames is their tangibility; and its that very tangibility that provokes memories (much in same way as a smell or sound does). This tangibility is becoming even more important in an increasingly digital world (or maybe its just that I am from the "previous" generation that grew up with physical toys and not digital ones). If the game has no usefulness or nostalgic appeal, however, then simple donate or toss it; don't "hang on" to some simulated memory of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, get rid of it. By the way, anyone, let me know if you would be interested in my old rusty copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.