Cribbage» Forums » General

Subject: Short game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atsushi Kojima
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I have been playing Cribbage on and off. But we found the game to be a bit long if played up to 121. I found bunch of different end game triggers mentioned online. HowStuffWorks.com states 61 to be the shorter game, yet there's no mention of that on Pagat (Pagat states Manchester variant which end at 91 though).

We found playing to 61 fits our gaming style the best. Though it got me worried, for a certain extent, that 61 was never mentioned in Pagat.

Is 61 being end game score a common variant? Or do you have any foreseeable drawback playing this way? We don't play with a skunk.

Ultimately it's up to us how we play it, but if you could chime in with your experience or insight it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please play how you want. Nothing is "wrong" with a short game. The main effect will be a larger role for luck since there will be just half of the number of deals per game on average compared to games to 121. (More deals --> more time for luck to average out.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing to 61 is a perfectly acceptable and standard game; the only reason I can think of that it wouldn't be mentioned at Pagat is that they don't consider it unusual enough to be worthy of mention.

The only downside to playing the shorter game is that the luck of the draw plays a larger role, but the other side of that coin is that another game can be quickly started!

A good thing about playing to 61 holes is that you'll get twice the amount of practice at final-street play, a key to skillful cribbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The question arises as to why so many cribbage boards are designed with 60 holes, or 2 streets of 30 holes each, per player. Since the game was played for a long time with the win being at 61 points, there was no need for boards to have 120 holes. In fact, there is no documentation of a 120 hole board prior to the 20th century, so we must conclude that the use of 121 points for the win came into popular practice sometime in the 20th century."

-Cribbage Boards 1863-1998 by Bette L. Bemis, Page 9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sucks getting old and having no attention span, being forced to play nothing but party games and watered down classics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
It sucks getting old and having no attention span, being forced to play nothing but party games and watered down classics.

I'm curious as to what you would call a "watered down classic?"

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atsushi Kojima
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for chiming in. And you Michael, made my day!

Due to our newborn in house, a session tends to be broken unexpectedly so we prefer a shorter game for the time being. I actually like the fact that we get to play the final street more that way as Justin mentioned.

Ultimately, we all can play a game whatever way we want to. I appreciate all those inputs and even quotes, as I myself was curious to know why my board has 2 streets of 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
Magrot wrote:

I'm curious as to what you would call a "watered down classic?"

Gg

Looking back, it was a stupid and insensitive thing to write and I apologize to anyone that took offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cribbage is already a short game. If you are an experienced player a game will last about 20-30 minutes max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.