$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944» Forums » Rules

Subject: LOS Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a valid LOS between the two units? And if yes, can the British TDs spot the concealed German panzers?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I've replied to this twice but, strangely, my response keeps disappearing. I'll continue to keep pasting it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, these units can see each other.

The Achilles troop is on higher ground with respect to the panzers, so they can see into the first lower elevation blocking terrain hex within 4 hexes of their location.

The dead zone of the waterway falls into hexes 0311/0411 but the panzers in 0312 are beyond the dead zone.

LOS is reciprocal (except where concealment is involved, and units cannot be concealed in field hexes) so the panzers can see the Achilles as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Kostan
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Mark! That's what I thought.

It's a bit weird though that the waterway actually facilitates LOS in this case, instead of restricting it - if the waterway wasn't there, LOS between the two units would clearly be blocked by the light bocage in 0311. But I understand the LOS rules are a necessary simplification and think they work very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually... I stand corrected. I overlooked the intervening light bocage. The first blocking terrain hex within 4 hexes is the light bocage, and the Achilles troop can't see into it in this case because it lies within the 1-hex dead zone of the waterway. The fact that this blocking terrain is part of a dead zone shouldn't negate the fact that it's the "first blocking terrain hex within 4 hexes." The rules do not make an exception or specify otherwise. Therefore the two units cannot see each other. Very sorry about the confusion! (I'm on vacation at the moment and trying to skim and answer quickly... perhaps too quickly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.