3 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Parley defeat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Hi everyone.

So there exists monsters that have the following text.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Do X: Parley: Add (cardname) to the victory pile

Would you guys say this counts as defeating the monster? For example in accordance to Rolands ability, or would i have to kill the monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules Reference (page 8) under "Defeat" states:

"==If an enemy has as much or more damage on it as it has health, that enemy is defeated and placed on the encounter discard pile (or on its owner’s discard pile if it is a weakness)."

If a card effect simply directs an enemy to the victory pile without specifically dealing damage, I would think it does NOT count as "defeat".

One further piece of evidence, page 17 under "Resign" states: "An investigator who resigns is not considered to have been defeated."

If Resigning doesn't cause defeat, then I'd assume Parley doesn't either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacrillegal Sacrillegal
Greece
flag msg tools
No, it does't count as defeating it.
If you notice the parley "cost" is thematicaly in line with the type of "enemy". p.e the Mobster wants back his money (4 resources) etc.
It's a way of getting rid of it when you can't kill "it" but at a price of course.
It is not made clear in rules by anymeans but you can deduce it as of above with 100% certainty.
They are in a way "neutral" threats, a little to do with the story if any that you stumble upon luckily or not. Quite a genius mechanic that adds strategy and story-telling flavor.

*Though when you are Roland and you have more ammo than you know you ll need ( fat chance since you need everything to win ) you can choose to attack instead of parley to trigger his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.