Subject: Twilight Struggle "Light" (express, microgame etc) version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello to all!

During my efforts to make myself a copy of the "Dune" Board game i stumbled upon the "Dune Express" PnP project here on BGG, which is in fact the simple version of the "Dune".
The same thing is with "13 Days" Board game and the "13 Minutes" microgame (found also on BGG)

Now related to this i was thinking how it will be to make a simple (pocket) version of Twilight Struggle? I am pretty much sure that this isn't a new idea, so if there is similar topic, please post a link.

With simple version of TS it would be much easier to attract new players and introduce them to such a complex game as TS is.
In order to accomplish this goals, the simpler version must keep as much features of the "real" game as possible, but at the same time to require much less time to play and to have as few components as possible.

I have started preliminary works on this concept, but again if someone has already has done it, then please post a link, so i don't waste efforts and occupy space here in doing this.

Basic ideas:
- 6 turns (instead of 10. (2 turns for each of early,mid and late war)- overall reduction in game time
- 4 cards per turn (3 Action Rounds)
- reduced number of game cards, (total number and OPS adjusted to fit the shorter gameplay, China Card also)
- Simple Gameboard reduced to regions (no individual countries, but each region has scale with: no presence, presence, domination and control to represent influence gained with playing OPS or events)
- Regions are same as in original TS, but maybe Southeast Asia and West/East Europe as separate regions. (VP gained for each region to be adjusted)
- Keep DEFCON track - same as in original
- Keep VP (adjusted to fit the gameplay)
- Keep the Space race Track (with some adjustment)
- Disregard Military Track

Currently i am working on a dice rolling for realignment/coup, and the best way how to incorporate this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
While I commend your passion for the game and for attracting new players, quite honestly I question the need/ability for this.

1) 13 Days is this game, already.
2) Your game sounds like just a 'short game' for Twilight Struggle. I don't think you're reducing the rules set/learning curve by any significant amount. I would rather teach a newbie by just playing 3 turns of TS. Maybe a game of 13 Days first. Or maybe the 'Late War' scenario.
3) If I were GMT and the game's designers, I would consider this copyright infringement.

Just my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or this Twilight Squabble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis is great, but if you want to go smaller and faster there is 13 Minutes: The Cuban Missile Crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:

I watched the video review for this game, and frankly it looks terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the late war scenario, included in the TS box, is three turns of awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
afafard wrote:

I watched the video review for this game, and frankly it looks terrible.

According to the game designer, he came up with the idea exactly like the OP; an attempt to make a TS light.

I agree though, end result looks bad (not to mention borderline copyright infrigement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neuro Mancer
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thx for a really swift feedback cool

Yes, i have seen Twilight Squabble and i don't like it (although idea and artwork are not bad at all), because it is completely different gameplay and it is not compatible to TS.

13 Days (haven't played it yet) looks fantastic and it captures the spirit of TS, but it lacks the time span of the TS, because it is focused only on one event.

I had in mind just the relation that 13 Minutes is to the 13 Days and Dune Express To Dune. to use it with TS. Capture the spirit and mechanic of the game in much shorter time.
I agree that you can play only a few turns, or a late war scenario, but in that case you deny the experience of events from of the unplayed time periods.

As for the copyrights infringement i merely stated an idea, i have absolutely no intention to commercialize it. Just wanted to hear the opinion from the gaming population, game experts, designers etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't really capture the atmosphere of TS in a shorter game. 13 Days fails despite it being a decent concept and idea thats well put together. Three hours of gut wrenching tension and pyschological warfare is what TS is. You just cant get that kind of experience from a lighter, cut down, lunch time version of it. Per definition, IMO.

(and you definitely are not going to be preparing anyone or making casual players more interested in or ready to try TS, its a totally different beast, just as Dune Express doesnt really do anything to prepare anyone for actually playing Dune as its meant to be experienced (all 6 players, thoroughly versed in their own metagame on top of the designed metagame)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vetinari wrote:
13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis is great, but if you want to go smaller and faster there is 13 Minutes: The Cuban Missile Crisis.

I am a big fan of 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis.
It really scratches the TS itch for me in 40 minutes or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.