$20.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving Cowboy due to building actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

If I move my cowboy because of an action on a building in phase B Do I also have to pay for the green and black hands?

I guess so but I did Not find it in the rules explicitly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must pay for hands (if able) when moving via a building.

Note that the goal cards have an immediate action that allows you to move while ignoring hands (pg 15). Since that iconography wasn't used on the building actions, I assume you must pay when moving via building.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, Nikolas is correct
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thx for the clarification. Great Great great game by the way. Played a two player yesterday and it really adds something new and frensh to boardgame gaming.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris keeley
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just clarify something too? When we've moved on with our player from one of those 'movement' buildings we've replenished our hand size. Otherwise you could end up at the next building with two or three cards.
Is that correct? Could not see anything specific in the rules.

This is an absolute masterpiece. Hard to think Mombasa could be rivalled. Id put this in the same ball park as Agricola and Terra Mystica for exceptional quality. At its core are the numerous strategy routes bringing total replay-ability.

My only tiny snipe is the player home board. If this had Scythe production this would make for the most satisfying aesthetic experience. Always important for me!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't replenish your hand. This would be Phase C of your move, but you do Phase B at the new building.

I'm also not thrilled about the player boards, but they're not too bad, either. And on the other hand: this costs 40€, but Scythe is 80€. To me, the player boards are not that important. (In a German forum some guy working for Pegasus said, more sturdy boards would have increased the price for 5 or 10€, because you would need a new sheet of punshboard. For me, that still would have been ok, but we're all geeks here, right? I guess for many families the price is more important.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klinsy73 wrote:
Can I just clarify something too? When we've moved on with our player from one of those 'movement' buildings we've replenished our hand size. Otherwise you could end up at the next building with two or three cards.
Is that correct? Could not see anything specific in the rules.
No, you don't get to draw cards before using the new building. I once felt clever to place building 3a (3$ for a pair of cards, move one step) just before KC. My idea was that if I could change a pair of cards to something more useful before moving to KC, but then I realized that I'd go to KC with two cards less, which is really not what you want to do. So while it worked as a sort of insurance, I never used the 2nd action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
マルコ
Germany
flag msg tools
Eine wunderbare Heiterkeit hat meine ganze Seele eingenommen, gleich den süßen Frühlingsmorgen, die ich mit ganzem Herzen genieße. Ich bin allein und freue mich meines Lebens in dieser Gegend, die für solche Seelen geschaffen ist wie die meine.
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
klinsy73 wrote:
Can I just clarify something too? When we've moved on with our player from one of those 'movement' buildings we've replenished our hand size. Otherwise you could end up at the next building with two or three cards.
Is that correct? Could not see anything specific in the rules.
No, you don't get to draw cards before using the new building. I once felt clever to place building 3a (3$ for a pair of cards, move one step) just before KC. My idea was that if I could change a pair of cards to something more useful before moving to KC, but then I realized that I'd go to KC with two cards less, which is really not what you want to do. So while it worked as a sort of insurance, I never used the 2nd action.


I tried 4b (exchange cards as many cowboys you have + move up to 3 spaces) near KC; worked nicely with a cowboy strategy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris keeley
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay thanks for the ruling. Getting there now. Typically my scores have decreased from the first game. This is where I've been trying to do strategies and not hitting them hard enough.

This may be 40 euros in Germany. Try £55 in the uk with postage. That's why im bemoaning the quality of the components a wee bit. Played twice today with my wife. She chained the train and reaped the points for the stations on the latter stages of the track.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Tull
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
max bredow wrote:
I tried 4b (exchange cards as many cowboys you have + move up to 3 spaces) near KC; worked nicely with a cowboy strategy


In the games I've played, there was an understanding that you couldn't use the movement action on buildings to move to Kansas City.

Given what I've read here and now having actually looked at the rules, there doesn't appear to be this limitation. Have we been playing it incorrectly?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danielctull wrote:
max bredow wrote:
I tried 4b (exchange cards as many cowboys you have + move up to 3 spaces) near KC; worked nicely with a cowboy strategy


In the games I've played, there was an understanding that you couldn't use the movement action on buildings to move to Kansas City.

Given what I've read here and now having actually looked at the rules, there doesn't appear to be this limitation. Have we been playing it incorrectly?


You have...

You can't use Bonus movement from the Objective cards to reach Kansas City... you can use movement from Buildings to reach Kansas City
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
danielctull wrote:
max bredow wrote:
I tried 4b (exchange cards as many cowboys you have + move up to 3 spaces) near KC; worked nicely with a cowboy strategy


In the games I've played, there was an understanding that you couldn't use the movement action on buildings to move to Kansas City.

Given what I've read here and now having actually looked at the rules, there doesn't appear to be this limitation. Have we been playing it incorrectly?


You have...

You can't use Bonus movement from the Objective cards to reach Kansas City... you can use movement from Buildings to reach Kansas City


Is this in the rules somewhere?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
danielctull wrote:
max bredow wrote:
I tried 4b (exchange cards as many cowboys you have + move up to 3 spaces) near KC; worked nicely with a cowboy strategy


In the games I've played, there was an understanding that you couldn't use the movement action on buildings to move to Kansas City.

Given what I've read here and now having actually looked at the rules, there doesn't appear to be this limitation. Have we been playing it incorrectly?


You have...

You can't use Bonus movement from the Objective cards to reach Kansas City... you can use movement from Buildings to reach Kansas City


Is this in the rules somewhere?


yes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
danielctull wrote:
max bredow wrote:
I tried 4b (exchange cards as many cowboys you have + move up to 3 spaces) near KC; worked nicely with a cowboy strategy


In the games I've played, there was an understanding that you couldn't use the movement action on buildings to move to Kansas City.

Given what I've read here and now having actually looked at the rules, there doesn't appear to be this limitation. Have we been playing it incorrectly?


You have...

You can't use Bonus movement from the Objective cards to reach Kansas City... you can use movement from Buildings to reach Kansas City


I'm not sure I under stand the distinction here. I know that the movement bonus from an objective card doesn't allow one to trigger the actions on the building you move to, but Kansas City isn't a building, is it?

Never mind. I see it in the rules now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:
danielctull wrote:
max bredow wrote:
I tried 4b (exchange cards as many cowboys you have + move up to 3 spaces) near KC; worked nicely with a cowboy strategy


In the games I've played, there was an understanding that you couldn't use the movement action on buildings to move to Kansas City.

Given what I've read here and now having actually looked at the rules, there doesn't appear to be this limitation. Have we been playing it incorrectly?


You have...

You can't use Bonus movement from the Objective cards to reach Kansas City... you can use movement from Buildings to reach Kansas City


I'm not sure I under stand the distinction here. I know that the movement bonus from an objective card doesn't allow one to trigger the actions on the building you move to, but Kansas City isn't a building, is it?


The rules specify that the objective card movement cannot be used to go to Kansas City.

Edit: Left-side box middle page 15, English Rules in file section.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.