$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

The Oracle of Delphi» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ship Tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With this Ship Tile :

Advance all your Gods on the God Track to the row showing the number of players participating in the game. After using a Special Action of a God, return it to that row instead of the lowest row.

During Phase 3 of another player, if at least 1 of my Gods is in the row showing the number of players participating in the game, do I advance 1 of these Gods by 1 step?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lohengrin75 wrote:
With this Ship Tile :

Advance all your Gods on the God Track to the row showing the number of players participating in the game. After using a Special Action of a God, return it to that row instead of the lowest row.

During Phase 3 of another player, if at least 1 of my Gods is in the row showing the number of players participating in the game, do I advance 1 of these Gods by 1 step?

Sounds correct to me, as none of your gods will be on the lowest row.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lohengrin75 wrote:
With this Ship Tile :

Advance all your Gods on the God Track to the row showing the number of players participating in the game. After using a Special Action of a God, return it to that row instead of the lowest row.

During Phase 3 of another player, if at least 1 of my Gods is in the row showing the number of players participating in the game, do I advance 1 of these Gods by 1 step?


If that god matches one of their dice. It's not automatic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since none of my gods is on the last row, it's "automatic" for one of them !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless they have reached the top and you haven't used them, in which case you can't advance them any further
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lohengrin75 wrote:
Since none of my gods is on the last row, it's "automatic" for one of them !


Yes, but not the way you originally phrased it - just having "at least 1" god on the player-number row doesn't guarantee a god gets to move up (even ignoring the case where some gods are at the top).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Lohengrin75 wrote:
Since none of my gods is on the last row, it's "automatic" for one of them !


Yes, but not the way you originally phrased it - just having "at least 1" god on the player-number row doesn't guarantee a god gets to move up (even ignoring the case where some gods are at the top).


Even with the Ship Tile described in my first post?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lohengrin75 wrote:
tool wrote:
Lohengrin75 wrote:
Since none of my gods is on the last row, it's "automatic" for one of them !


Yes, but not the way you originally phrased it - just having "at least 1" god on the player-number row doesn't guarantee a god gets to move up (even ignoring the case where some gods are at the top).


Even with the Ship Tile described in my first post?


If you have the starting hold that premotes your gods to the first active spot, then you will be able to advance one every time other players consult the oracle, unless they dont roll colours matching any of your gods still climbing (i.e. All the colours they roll match gods who have reached the tops of their tracks as they can't progress any further).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lohengrin75 wrote:
tool wrote:
Lohengrin75 wrote:
Since none of my gods is on the last row, it's "automatic" for one of them !


Yes, but not the way you originally phrased it - just having "at least 1" god on the player-number row doesn't guarantee a god gets to move up (even ignoring the case where some gods are at the top).


Even with the Ship Tile described in my first post?


With that ship tile you will always be able to move a god up until some of them hit the top, yes. But that is because ALL the gods are above the dark row, not "at least 1." I just want to make sure that anyone else looking at this thread doesn't misunderstand the rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that ship tile is very powerful. Had it come up in two of the four games I played so far and the player with that tile won both times. The other ship tiles are good too, but this one feel too strong. Maybe you could have all gods start moved up, but after using them the first time, they should drop back down completely. In one of the games I mentioned a player beat all three monsters with Ares, so he never got wounded from those battles or had to use favor tokens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Roger Duvauchelle
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Midav8 wrote:
I feel that ship tile is very powerful. Had it come up in two of the four games I played so far and the player with that tile won both times. The other ship tiles are good too, but this one feel too strong. Maybe you could have all gods start moved up, but after using them the first time, they should drop back down completely. In one of the games I mentioned a player beat all three monsters with Ares, so he never got wounded from those battles or had to use favor tokens.


I totally agree with you...
This was the main reason of my post : I think this Ship tile is too powerful too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I agree that tile is "too powerful" -- but even if it is, remember that you pick tiles in reverse turn order. Since choice of ship is your turn order compensation, maybe it's GOOD if some are better than others!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally I considered to offer one more system to distribute the Ship tiles, an auction system:
- Every player gets one more favor token
- Randomly pick one more Ship tile than players
- the starting player bids at least one favor token, the other players can bid more
So in the end every player has to pay at least 1 favor token to get his Ship tile.
Result: In the end noone wants to pay more than 1 favor token for a certain Ship tile, so I deleted it this option from my draft.
So feel free to try this, but personally I don't think that you need this.

Another option: There are 8 Ship tiles in the game. If you consider one as too strong, you don't have to use it ...

My personal opinion: The tile is good, but not better than the others. But it makes fun, because you feel rewarded so often and it's easy to use.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hughes
msg tools
First 2 player game last night. I had the gods' ability and lost (to the shields etc boat). Super game, great fun.
Brian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Carmelino
msg tools
The problem with this tile is it is not balanced for the different player counts. With 2 is an ok tile while in 4 player games it feels extremely good, since most of the time you dont really benefit from every roll in the first rounds of the game and this lets you benefit from 3 turns every round. House rule may be considering the new starting line as if it was the last (dark colored) line.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ovrlol wrote:
The problem with this tile is it is not balanced for the different player counts. With 2 is an ok tile while in 4 player games it feels extremely good, since most of the time you dont really benefit from every roll in the first rounds of the game and this lets you benefit from 3 turns every round. House rule may be considering the new starting line as if it was the last (dark colored) line.

In 2p each god tile has much less far to go. Maybe you only get 1 bump per round as opposed to 3, but you could consider that you get 3 additional bumps after every time you use the god in a 2p game that you don't get in a 4p game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pollo oviparo
msg tools
mbmb
Ovrlol wrote:
The problem with this tile is it is not balanced for the different player counts. With 2 is an ok tile while in 4 player games it feels extremely good, since most of the time you dont really benefit from every roll in the first rounds of the game and this lets you benefit from 3 turns every round. House rule may be considering the new starting line as if it was the last (dark colored) line.


I totally agree with you. Same problem here. Yesterday evening, in a game with four players, the player with this tile, has closed the match with a good margin.
We were thinking exactly at the same variant.
It would be interesting to listen the author opinion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
polloviparo wrote:
Ovrlol wrote:
The problem with this tile is it is not balanced for the different player counts. With 2 is an ok tile while in 4 player games it feels extremely good, since most of the time you dont really benefit from every roll in the first rounds of the game and this lets you benefit from 3 turns every round. House rule may be considering the new starting line as if it was the last (dark colored) line.


I totally agree with you. Same problem here. Yesterday evening, in a game with four players, the player with this tile, has closed the match with a good margin.
We were thinking exactly at the same variant.
It would be interesting to listen the author opinion.
I'm not the designer, but the publisher and developer of the game, and Stefan and I tested these options for a long time. I already posted my personal opinion (see above). To be honest I was more afraid that this tile is too weak, but right now I think it's ok. But I still prefer to use other Ship tiles.
Besides this there is another thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670247/favourite-ship
Here you can see that there are also other opinions concerning the best Ships ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saskia Jansen
Netherlands
Voorhout
flag msg tools
I actually felt that the tile where you can sail further +2 was too powerful. Because the person playing with that one, won the first two times.

And I realize I played something wrong: we just randomly distributed the ships instead of reverse order picking
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Zeeb
Germany
flag msg tools
@Saskia:
Random distribution is not "wrong".
This style is even included in the rules for that matter.
Many people just do not like the inherent luck in this method of distribution. If you don't mind, feel free to randomly distribute the Ship Tiles!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Frank
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Space, the final frontier...
badge
The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace, where hydrogen is built into helium, at a temperature of millions of degrees.
mbmbmb
I've played 3 times so far (one 2-player and two 3-player), and I agree with Ralph that the god boat is not overpowered.

Right now, I would pick the favor discount boat first, followed by +2 sailing movement. The free equipment boat is dependent on what is on display, but another player grabbed the '2 free favors when you roll yellow' card and did quite well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.