Popular Tags: [View All]
SPACEBOY
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I just have bought this game and according to my tastes I'm pretty sure it'll become one of my favorite games (I have an eurogamer heart after all meeple)

I'm just a little worried 'cause in another thread I read something about a "Gamer's variant" included in the rules of the... (first expansion I think?), and, in the opinion of some geek buddy (don't remember his username now) Keyflower isn't that good without using that official variant. So, I'd like to know what is that variant about... Is it really important anyway?

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew S.
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "gamer variant" in the manual, which is not remotely necessary and which I would strongly recommend against unless you want to induce horrible analysis paralysis, is to play with everyone's meeples as public information rather than hidden behind your player screens.

Bizarrely, the manual doesn't include the much more logical way to make a gamer variant -- choosing the summer and fall tiles at the beginning of the game so that people can plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has always bugged me that this is the "gamer" variant, it actually strips the fun and tension out and makes it easier. I would discourage you from trying it until you have played the game the proper way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gamer's variant is in Keyflower: The Merchants manual, and basically that all trackable information remains public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Prismattic wrote:
The "gamer variant" in the manual, which is not remotely necessary and which I would strongly recommend against unless you want to induce horrible analysis paralysis, is to play with everyone's meeples as public information rather than hidden behind your player screens.

Bizarrely, the manual doesn't include the much more logical way to make a gamer variant -- choosing the summer and fall tiles at the beginning of the game so that people can plan.

Agree on both points 100%. For the first time in our gaming group, this week we were allowed to preview the selected summer and fall tiles before the game began. The variant was well-received by the group and we will most likely play with it many times. Without concealment of the meeples, much of the heart of the game would disappear, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
singler3360 wrote:
Prismattic wrote:

Agree on both points 100%. For the first time in our gaming group, this week we were allowed to preview the selected summer and fall tiles before the game began. The variant was well-received by the group and we will most likely play with it many times. Without concealment of the meeples, much of the heart of the game would disappear, IMO.

well i consider myself a gamer and the gamer's variant for me is to play the game with the standard rules. i think it adds tension to not know what tiles may or may not emerge. it forces you to have contingencies and to have to pivot your strategy throughout the game. that said i would agree that the variant of previewing the tiles would not slow the game down where the public information variant would slow things to a crawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
Hi guys,

I just have bought this game and according to my tastes I'm pretty sure it'll become one of my favorite games (I have an eurogamer heart after all meeple)

I'm just a little worried 'cause in another thread I read something about a "Gamer's variant" included in the rules of the... (first expansion I think?), and, in the opinion of some geek buddy (don't remember his username now) Keyflower isn't that good without using that official variant. So, I'd like to know what is that variant about... Is it really important anyway?

Thanks guys!

The "variant" is something new. Keyflower's popularity grew long before that expansion. Most people don't even have the expansions. I personally believe the "variant" ruins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played the "gamer variant" twice - once with two people and once with 5 - and believe it is fine with two players and as the player count increases it gets worse.

You have to review everyone's boards to see what they are probably trying to accomplish and count their meeples by color and keep in mind what you're trying to do and when there is only one other player that is manageable but for 5 other players it was too much for us in our game. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really surprised at all of the vitriol towards the Gamer's variant. I would never, ever play Keyflower in any other way. All of these fears about introducing "horrible analysis paralysis" are completely unfounded. The game is better playing the Gamer's Variant, imo. So feel free to try it and make up your own mind; don't take anybody's word for it (including mine...though take my word that you should make up your own mind!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Quichotte
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Really surprised at all of the vitriol towards the Gamer's variant. I would never, ever play Keyflower in any other way. All of these fears about introducing "horrible analysis paralysis" are completely unfounded. The game is better playing the Gamer's Variant, imo. So feel free to try it and make up your own mind; don't take anybody's word for it (including mine...though take my word that you should make up your own mind!).

Totally agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta try it -
If everyone keep their meeples organized it's actually faster to count them when it's relevant rather than try to memorize people's count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.