Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some ambiguous rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1
Can you target invisible units when they are patrolling?
Text specifically says they are attackable when patrolling but didnt say they are targetable.


2
The rules say you never make decisions during opponenet's turn.
The rules also say when you tech for 2 cards from your codex, you only have to commit before the start of your turn.
What if during your opponenet's turn, your draw pile is empty and he kills your technician.
Do you get to draw a card?
If you do, do you get to choose to shuffle with the 2 teched cards or without them ?
How does this work?

3
If your unit has frenzy 1
And you level up your blood hero so that all your units get frenzy 1 from him.
Does your unit have frenzy 2 now?
Does frenzy stack?

4
Captured Bugblatter
If one of my units attack an opponenet's unit and both die, do I deal 2 damage on the opponenet's base?
Do I deal 4 damages to opponenet's base when I have 2 Captured Bugblatters in play?
Can I divide the dealt damages as I wish on 3 player mode?

5
Drill Sergeant
Does he have to remove the rune from his card or does he have the freedom to rearrange the +1 runes in the board as he wishes. Does "remove a +1 rune ->" imply remove a rune from this card.


6
Jefferson Degrey
If he destroys all yor skelton tokens. Lets say 4 tokens. And you have 2 Corpse Catapult in play.
Do your catapults get 4 runes each ?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. They are attackable, but keep every other benefit of being inviaible, so nope, not targettable.

2. You shuffle and draw cards. But your tech cards are not in the discard yet (always keep them on the side until the beginning of your turn).

3. I am not sure, but if Resist stack, I would guess Frenzy does too.

4. Yes. Yes. Yes. (Give the text of cards or a link to the card http://codexcarddb.com/card/captured_bugblatter next time)

5. Only runes on himself.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
MVashM wrote:
1
Can you target invisible units when they are patrolling?
Text specifically says they are attackable when patrolling but didnt say they are targetable.


Then they retain all other benefits of invisibility, so untargettable.


Quote:

2
The rules say you never make decisions during opponenet's turn.
The rules also say when you tech for 2 cards from your codex, you only have to commit before the start of your turn.
What if during your opponenet's turn, your draw pile is empty and he kills your technician.
Do you get to draw a card?
If you do, do you get to choose to shuffle with the 2 teched cards or without them ?
How does this work?


The playmats are wrong and you don't actually Tech in the new cards to the very start of your turn - before the Ready phase.

For expedience you should make your tech decisions while your opponent is playing, but the cards are not actually added to your discard until after your opponent is done, so you cannot draw them off of Technician (nor anything else your opponent does to make you draw cards).

Quote:

3
If your unit has frenzy 1
And you level up your blood hero so that all your units get frenzy 1 from him.
Does your unit have frenzy 2 now?
Does frenzy stack?


Yes.


Seeing ruling 28 on the google docs sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WyO1v5RCqBQwKYi4tfKO...

and also Drakk specific rulings on the card database:

http://codexcarddb.com/card/drakk_ramhorn


Quote:

4
Captured Bugblatter
If one of my units attack an opponenet's unit and both die, do I deal 2 damage on the opponenet's base?
Do I deal 4 damages to opponenet's base when I have 2 Captured Bugblatters in play?
Can I divide the dealt damages as I wish on 3 player mode?


Yes. and Yes and yes

Quote:

5
Drill Sergeant
Does he have to remove the rune from his card or does he have the freedom to rearrange the +1 runes in the board as he wishes. Does "remove a +1 rune ->" imply remove a rune from this card.


Yes, he can only remove runes from himself.

Quote:

6
Jefferson Degrey
If he destroys all yor skelton tokens. Lets say 4 tokens. And you have 2 Corpse Catapult in play.
Do your catapults get 4 runes each ?


No. Because tokens never go to the discard and therefore do not "die" by the rules of this game, and therefore cannot satisfy "dies: do X" triggers. Personally I find this rule so counter-intuitive as to be offensively stupid, but it is in the rulebook (page 19, column 1)

But to answer the question you thought you were asking: if you had 4 non-token units which all died while you had 2 corpse catapults in play, then yes, each of those Corpse Catapults would get 4 runes each.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn is entirely correct.

6. Yes. Corpse Catapult says "Whenever one of your units dies, put a corpse rune on this." If you have two Corpse Catapults, and 4 of your units die (including tokens), then each Catapult will get 4 runes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rabid_schnauzer wrote:
MVashM wrote:

6
Jefferson Degrey
If he destroys all yor skelton tokens. Lets say 4 tokens. And you have 2 Corpse Catapult in play.
Do your catapults get 4 runes each ?


No. Because tokens never go to the discard and therefore do not "die" by the rules of this game, and therefore cannot satisfy "dies: do X" triggers. Personally I find this rule so stupid, but it is in the rulebook (page 19, column 1).
This is incorrect (you'll presumably be glad to hear). Sirlin clarified on this forum that tokens do trigger "dies" effects, such as Scavenger and Technician bonuses, and Corpse Catapult.

Reference: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24028139#24028139
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you so much guys for explainig these situations.
The possibilities are really vast in this game. I am loving it.

One more thing just to be sure

7
Flying, invisible, unstoppable, and stealth units.
All of these can ignore patrollers and attack any building. (assuming no flying patrollers present)
If they choose not to ignore patrollers, can they attack any patroller or do they have to respect the squad leader?
http://codexcarddb.com/card/shoddy_glider
http://codexcarddb.com/card/backstabber
http://codexcarddb.com/card/xenostalker
http://codexcarddb.com/card/smoker

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolò Ricchio
Italy
flag msg tools
7) they can attack any patroller
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Wildhorn's answers all look right!

---

Be sure to check this link for a spreadsheet of rulings that probably answers a lot of questions you might have: www.sirlingames.com/rulebooks

There's even a card database there now (though it's missing the first page of rulings as of this writing). Very handy though.

---

Regarding when to tech, we found it VERY important to tell people to conceptualize that step (where you pick two cards from your codex) at the end of your turn, rather than the beginning. Yes, your choice is only truly locked in after the opponent takes their turn, but you really should start the process of picking your cards as your turn ends. This has a SIGNIFICANT impact on how long it takes most people to play the game. If you label that step at the start of their turn, then very predictably, people tend to not even start doing it until the opponent is totally done, even though the opponent's actions rarely change your decision. This adds a lot of time to a game and makes it drag on.

So basically, we didn't want to make the game take longer for everyone by labeling that step as start of turn. It's not theoretical either, it's very clear from testing. Instead, we prefer everyone generally has shorter games by getting into the mindset that you tech at the end of your turn. In the rare case where you want to change your decision based on what your opponent does, you can! That doesn't mean the playmant is "wrong" though. It just means your decision is locked in until later.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
rabid_schnauzer wrote:
MVashM wrote:

6
Jefferson Degrey
If he destroys all yor skelton tokens. Lets say 4 tokens. And you have 2 Corpse Catapult in play.
Do your catapults get 4 runes each ?


No. Because tokens never go to the discard and therefore do not "die" by the rules of this game, and therefore cannot satisfy "dies: do X" triggers. Personally I find this rule so stupid, but it is in the rulebook (page 19, column 1).
This is incorrect (you'll presumably be glad to hear). Sirlin clarified on this forum that tokens do trigger "dies" effects, such as Scavenger and Technician bonuses, and Corpse Catapult.

Reference: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24028139#24028139

Indeed. The rule on Page 19 doesn't say that the effect triggers when a card arrives in the discard pile, but when it's sent to the discard pile. There is no rules contradiction here.

Tokens can indeed die and trigger Dies: effects. They go to the discard pile, but as Sirlin noted, tokens don't exist in the discard pile, so they just go aside instead.

That's pretty intuitive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
8
Obliterate
For example Trojan Duck obliterate 2.
http://codexcarddb.com/card/trojan_duck


Please correct me :

Duck vs T-Rex
8/9 vs 10/10
http://codexcarddb.com/card/tyrannosaurus_rex
1. If t-rex is the only unit available
Duck dies due to 10 dmg and trex dies due to obliterate.
If there was another unit it would also die due to obliterate.

2. If it was TRex and 2 other lower units such as two wisps (0/1)
Duck attacks trex and dies. Trex survives. The two wisps dies.

If duck attacks a wisp, duck survives. Wisp dies due to damage, the other wisp and trex die due to obliterate.

(of course duck would deal 4 damage to a building in all above scenarios due to the other ability it has)

Finally
I determine the two lowest units by
Lowest attack printed on the card (modifiers and patrol +atk bonus dont count)
If tied
Lowest health printed on the card
If tied
Lowest cost printed on the card
If tied
Random?



9
Deathtouch
I assume it also activates when opponent attacks my deathtouch unit.
Tiny Basilisk is very strong tech 1 unit.
By the way Tiny Basilisk is unattackable by tech 0 units.
So if it was the only one in patrol zone, tech 0 units can ignore it and attack my base directly.
http://codexcarddb.com/card/tiny_basilisk
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:

Duck vs T-Rex
8/9 vs 10/10
http://codexcarddb.com/card/tyrannosaurus_rex
1. If t-rex is the only unit available
Duck dies due to 10 dmg and trex dies due to obliterate.
If there was another unit it would also die due to obliterate.

The Obliterate happens before the attack, so the T-Rex dies, and then you resolve the Duck's attack against another eligible target, such as your opponent's Tech III or their base. The duck would not die, because the T-Rex dies before the damage-dealing step of combat.

Remember that Obliterate happens before any attacking, so an Obliterated unit doesn't even get to deal damage! Trojan Duck is very strong against a board that doesn't have many units!
Quote:
2. If it was TRex and 2 other lower units such as two wisps (0/1)
Duck attacks trex and dies. Trex survives. The two wisps dies.

If duck attacks a wisp, duck survives. Wisp dies due to damage, the other wisp and trex die due to obliterate.

(of course duck would deal 4 damage to a building in all above scenarios due to the other ability it has)

First, the wisps die to Obliterate, like noted above. Then, resolve the attack against a legal target, if you had been targeting a Wisp.

Here's how the attack works.

1. Declare your attack against a target
2. Resolve Obliterate effects, destroying units (one of the units destroyed might be the target you declared)
3. If the target in Step 1 was destroyed, you need to resolve the attack against a different eligible target
4. The attacker and the target of the attack deal damage

So, in your second example, irregardless of who you assign Trojan Duck to attack, Obliterate destroys the two wisps.
Quote:
Finally
I determine the two lowest units by
Lowest attack printed on the card (modifiers and patrol +atk bonus dont count)
If tied
Lowest health printed on the card
If tied
Lowest cost printed on the card
If tied
Random?

Check the helptext on Obliterate: "Whenever this attacks, destroy the defender's two lowest tech units first."

You determine the two units by following the helptext: destroy the two lowest-tech units of your opponent. Attack, health, and cost have nothing to do with it. If there's a tie (like the defender has three Tech 0 units, or two Tech I units and a Tech 0 unit), you're the active player, so you decide which of the tied units to destroy.

Example: you have two Tech I's and a Tech 0.

Quote:
9
Deathtouch
I assume it also activates when opponent attacks my deathtouch unit.
Tiny Basilisk is very strong tech 1 unit.
By the way Tiny Basilisk is unattackable by tech 0 units.
So if it was the only one in patrol zone, tech 0 units can ignore it and attack my base directly.
http://codexcarddb.com/card/tiny_basilisk

Yes, deathtouch activates whenever the unit deals combat damage, even to armor. It's pretty strong! But Tiny Basilisk is very weak to direct damage, like the damage found in the Fire spec.

You are correct that if it's the only patroller, Tech 0 units can run right past it to attack your base, buildings, hero, or non-patrolling units. It's not a very good patroller!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I never thought obliterate would activate before the actual attack.

This means if opponent has only two units, the Duck could obliterate the two units AND deal 12 damages to the base.

And even if the opponent had a
http://codexcarddb.com/card/morningstar_pass
The ability "deal 4 damage to building" would activate first, destroying the pass then the attack 8 damage can be dealt to the base.


I appreciate everyone for taking time to clear out the doubts and ambiguities.
If I have more doubts I will keep posting them here.
I hope that other people would benefit from the information inthis thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Trojan Duck, like all Tech III units, is pretty good. It's a huge investment to get to Tech III, so if you can attack with a Tech III unit, you deserve a pretty big payout!

If you have single questions, it's actually probably better to put each in its own thread with a descriptive title, that way other people can more easily find it. "Some ambiguous rules" could be about anything!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Leander
msg tools
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:

You determine the two units by following the helptext: destroy the two lowest-tech units of your opponent. Attack, health, and cost have nothing to do with it. If there's a tie (like the defender has three Tech 0 units, or two Tech I units and a Tech 0 unit), you're the active player, so you decide which of the tied units to destroy.


Just a sidenote, which can be confusing (It was for a second to me, mixing up the effects in my mind).

The black spell Sacrifice the Weak http://codexcarddb.com/card/sacrifice_the_weak

There it specifies that if the lowest tech is tied, then ATK decides and if there is still a tie, then the active player decides.

BUT the difference is that Sacrifice the Weak targets the >Weakest< units, where obliterate targets the >lowest tech<.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.